You are not logged in. Please register or login.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

Re: US Politics Thread

PaSnow wrote:

HW was definitely one of the better one term Presidents. Also VP under Reagan of course, it was in some ways a 12 year run. He had a stint with the CIA I think as well, was pretty high up with them.

What was it like? I dunno, the media knocked him a bit "Read my lips, no new taxes" and Dana Carveys SNL immitation was a beast "Wouldn't be prudent. Not gonna do it". Funny, I heard Dana on the radio interviewed just a couple years ago, he mentioned someone researched it, and HW only said the word "Prudent" like one time during his Presidency, but Carvey made a couple seasons out of it. Also having Quayle as VP was a mockable event. In the end though, it was all somewhat lighthearted. There weren't haters like  Olberman against W, or Hannity against Obama, so he was generally liked.

His approval rating was an all time high during Gulf Storm/Desert Storm. Essentially Iraq invaded Kuwait in the early summer of 90, and HW put a military presence there, sorta blocking Iraq from invasion. This lasted for about a 9 month standoff (Desert Shield). Then he announced basically the military attack (Desert Storm) and it was over before it began. We whipped the shit outta them. I think it lasted 3 or 4 days. Iraqi's were reportedly surrendering with their hands up to US forces, equipped with dated, used hand me down machine guns that they didn't know how to use. It wouldn't have been close. There really wasn't a ground war & few fatalities. Norman Swartzkopf & Colin Powell became household names. It was essentially a flawlessly executed military strike. Stealth bombers, patriot missiles, it was US playing chess & Iraq playing checkers.

In the end though, it was the economy which did him in. 1991 he was riding high, in 92 an untimely recession took place. I think interest rates were high, home sales were extremely low as a result, so home prices stagnated, the market was down, unemployment up. Not a crisis like 08, but I think people tired of the 12 year Reagan run (80-92) and alot of people were looking for change. Bill Clinton was younger, new and kinda fit the right candidate at the right time. There was a pretty significant MTV moment where Bill C appealed to the younger demo (in hindsight probably attracted people 30 & under) where he was asked "Boxers or Briefs", stupid moment, but it sorta went viral. Also some old schoolers made a big deal out of Bill smoking weed in his past, and I think the newer generations at the time (Baby Boomers/post hippies & Gen X) were turned off by the criticism over it.

He definitely wasn't terrible, more than anything the 12 year run did him in. Politics kinda changed after him tbh. He was kinda old school.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
misterID wrote:

His legacy for me is defying his generals & Dick Cheney and not invading Iraq for the very reasons that eventually happened when his son did invade. He lost mainly because Reagan's economy folded on his head and he had to break his no new taxes vow and raise taxes. "Read my lips, no new taxes" did him in.

The culture shift in general did him in more than any specific issue.

MTV went balls deep on Clinton from day one and never let up. He also knew how to take advantage of the changing times. Only thing missing from his 91-92 resume is singing Teen Spirit at Lollapalooza. Also...Carville doesn't get enough credit for getting Clinton elected.

Also agree with Pasnow....easily one of the best one term presidents in history and probably deserved to be reelected.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

Would it be fair to say that even with all of these things you guys list....Ross Perot running as a third party candidate simply split the vote just enough?

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

mitchejw wrote:

Would it be fair to say that even with all of these things you guys list....Ross Perot running as a third party candidate simply split the vote just enough?

I think that’s the primary reason. Not that bill Clinton wasn’t a great candidate and his youthfulness and charisma wasn’t reminiscent of JFK. But remove Perot from the election whom got almost 20% of the vote, and Bush wins a 2nd term.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

I think that’s the primary reason. Not that bill Clinton wasn’t a great candidate and his youthfulness and charisma wasn’t reminiscent of JFK. But remove Perot from the election whom got almost 20% of the vote, and Bush wins a 2nd term.

I don't remember what kind of campaign he ran...but given that he was a super wealthy businessman...I would assume it was a far right campaign he ran.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Wow, I can't believe that slipped my mind. Yes, I think that definitely impacted it. I don't think 100% of Perot voters would've been Bush voters necesarily, but I think he would've won. Or at least may have, it still would've been a close race. Kinda like Gore/Bush in 2000, with Ralph Nader fucking it all up.

James, funny post about Clinton singing Teen Spirit at Lollapalooza.

Lastly, I think this may become one of those cases where they husband & wife hang on for so long for one another, but once one of them passes, the other dies soon thereafter. I wish him well, I know he's sorta in bad shape, wouldn't surprise me if HW loses a bit of his will to hang on & passes on soon as well. Not wishing harm, its just I know it happens sometimes in cases similar to this.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I voted for Perot.  I wouldn't have voted otherwise.  My disgust for the 2 political party system has been around for quite a while.  Perot would have been way better than Trump...

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

^^ I did too.

Remember his VP was terrible lol. Just this crotchety old man. I think he passed away a couple years ago, but I remember at the VP debate they were given 2 minutes each to answer their questions. I think the abortion question came up & he said "I think a womans body is her own and she should be able to do what she wants with it period." and there was a long pause, he looks around and sees everyone elses confusion and adds "Period. End of statement." So Dan Quayle & Al Gore tried using the extra 1:50 to continue what it was they said. There was another question he answered quickly, can't remember which. I think it was about the economy & he just admitted he doesn't know much about economics, that's Ross Perot's forte.

I think I looked him up a few years ago & he was a major war hero & had a very extensive background. Was he the guy who said "I met Jack Kennedy. You sir are no Jack Kennedy."

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Watching Trump presser, he does well in these situations.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Board footer