You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: Football

Smoking Guns wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Shoot, I meant to post earlier today SG has to be happy as a clam after yesterday!

Next week has some good matchups for the Final 4 candidacy.

Yes sir!!!!

Man, college football is so damn exciting!!

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

I’d like to know how that’s true. Advertising is sold months in advance, so prices were locked in way before ratings dipped. I know at KraftHeinz, they bought advertising almost a year out.  And I’ve never verified how much ratings have dropped. Has anyone else?

Worst case is advertisement costs for next year may decline, but I’m also assuming there’s plenty of people to pay current rates as ratings declining or not, nothing brings in the audience of the NFL.

I think they were talking about the upcoming season.

I'm pretty sure most of the financial hits the NFL will feel come due next year. All those empty seats in stadiums nationwide? Don't scalpers own all those seats now? Someone is taking a bath. You can buy a 49ers ticket for 20 bucks. That's cheaper than parking. Will scalpers be willing to take such a sting next season?

I'm not too sure on advertisers lining up outside the NFL's door. They risk a backlash by doing so. Some may be willing to sit it out until everything settles down.

The NFL misjudged this whole fiasco. They thought we were a country of social justice warriors and seemed to forget that it's really not mainstream....the media just pushes the lunatic fringe as mainstream. Big difference. They went political and people started changing the channel.

bigbri wrote:

The NFL ratings are likely down because of the brain trauma issue, and the fact the league embraces wife beaters, not the kneeling, though i’m sure that turns off a minuscule amount of people.

Plus, it’s so damn boring now. Anyone watched a game recently from kickoff to final? If you added up all the action, I bet it amounts to like 30 minutes of the 3 hour runtime. Teams run a play, then it’s 45 seconds of replay, 15 seconds or more pre-snap, then 5 seconds of action if you’re lucky. Repeat. It’s gawdawful.

If I didn’t play fantasy football, I’d watched none whatsoever.

It's the kneeling. Pretty much any site you go to and read its comments, 9 out of 10 have to do with that issue. I do agree it's a combination of many issues but that one is the most vocal.

I tried watching a game on Sunday for shits and giggles. I made it about ten minutes, give or take a few minutes. Completely unwatchable. I can see why some fans are starting to skip games and just watch highlights on youtube. In a society that has the attention span of a goldfish, no one is watching a three and a half hour game.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

People have known about the brain trauma forever, it was well known through the peak of pro football just a few years ago. No one stopped watching wrestling through all the steroid, sex or wrestler mortality scandals, they stopped watching because of lack of talent and poor storytelling. The game schedules have been atrocious. Does anyone want to watch a primetime game with Brett Hundley leading the Packers against the Steelers? You can't control how an injury is going to completely change the entire scope of a season, but the prime time schedules should be more flexible to anticipate it.

Plus the kneeling. I'm sorry, you're either in denial or support the kneeling to think it has had no or just limited impact.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

The funny thing about the kneeling is that while initially controversial, it wasn't a huge deal. The mistake was taking it beyond Kapernick and his SJW nonsense and turning it into a general political statement over Trump. If that's not bad enough, the damn sportscasters go political as well. I cant imagine turning on the NFL in the 90s and having to listen to someone whine about Clinton. I would've turned it off.

The NFL and sports in general are about escapism. When you start including the damn news....trouble is brewing.

They drew a line in the sand....libtards will support it, right wing nuts will go ape shit. What happened was both sides got fed up with the nonsense....they forgot that fans will piss and moan about politics on Facebook. They don't tune in to the NFL for  a political fix.

Media outlets need to learn that they have to stop catering to the extremists on both sides. The NFL found out the hard way. This might just be the first domino to fall.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

25s39f4.jpg

Doesn't make sense, I could understand with 1-2 weeks left maybe. Did Eli ask to be benched to avoid injury? Is he in a contract year &/or done in NY?

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
misterID wrote:

Plus the kneeling. I'm sorry, you're either in denial or support the kneeling to think it has had no or just limited impact.

I support the kneeling, so I guess put me in that camp.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

mitchejw is your GnREvo fantasy champion!!!

Hold your applause please.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

Are you sure?  It looks like its still going on

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Yea, my league just wrapped up the regular season and playoffs start this week. How can you be the champion already?

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Yea, my league just wrapped up the regular season and playoffs start this week. How can you be the champion already?

He must've won the Electoral College vote.

Ba Da Bing!

Gretsch-Progressive-Jazz-Kits-Origin-Of-Cool.jpg?resize=444%2C500

Board footer