You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: Football

faldor wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
faldor wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

Preach, Faldor!

Really not sure how the Patriots lose this game. Just too disciplined and experienced, better balance.

Obviously we're biased, but I think the Patriots are clearly the better team on paper and by what you observe on the field. But as is always the case, Any Given Sunday. If the Pats come out flat and Atlanta wins the turnover battle they will probably win the game. That's the only way I see it though. Of course the Pats have been prone to some flukey plays in these games too, so that's always a possibility.

I actually disagree with the fact that the patriots are better on paper.

If the pats win, it'll be because of their experience and poise. And of course superior coaching, strategies and preparation.

But as far as raw talent...Atlanta has two starting RBs, a a well seasoned Matt Ryan and Julio who is probably the best WR in football.

So with all that said, my heart says Atlanta, but my head says New England. New England should win this game. He plays to their strengths. Disciplined and intelligent football.

You kind of called it there, well nailed it pretty much for 3+ quarters. Atlanta was definitely the more athletic team, I wouldn't say they were better though. Despite building a 25 point lead, New England was driving the ball down the field and controlling time of possession. They just weren't putting points up. And that pick 6 was obviously a killer, not to mention the Blount fumble as they were headed for some points that completely changed momentum. Ultimately though, they made the proper in game adjustments and completely shut down the Falcons running game in the 2nd half. They also held Julio in check the entire game really. I mean the guy had four catches which were all otherworldly. You couldn't ask for better coverage on him.

And while Atlanta's defense played fast and harassed Brady all night, they were on the field way too much and were completely gassed which allowed for the epic comeback. Brady picked them apart and could do pretty much whatever he wanted down the stretch. I never gave up on them, I've learned not to over the years. But I'd be lying if I said I felt good being down 28-3 midway through the 3rd. They got rolling though and they weren't going to be denied. Looking back though, it's just amazing how it all unfolded. They needed just about everything to go right to complete the comeback and it pretty much did. And as if the two scoring drives to tie the game weren't enough, the two 2 point conversions were even more impressive. All or nothing on those plays, and they got it all.

I'm not sure if that'll go down as a great game per se, the greatest comeback for sure. A tale of two halves. But I certainly will never forget it. Oh, and Brady's not retiring even though Gisele wants him to. And why would he? He's still at the top of his game amazingly. Had 35 TD's and 5 INT's this season. He said he wants to play another 5 years. I'm not sure about that, but I wouldn't bet against him. I'd say at least another 2-3. And Garappolo will probably be traded this off season as long as they get a haul for him. They supposedly really like the kid they drafted last year, Jacoby Brissett. He could be the heir apparent to Brady when he decides to hang it up. Jimmy G is a free agent after next season, so if they plan on having Brady for longer than that he would probably bolt for more money at that point. Might as well get something (a lot) for him while you can.

FlashFlood, did you survive the game? Congrats my man! You too Neemo. Patriots fans unite! Crazy thing is, they're already early favorites to win it all again next year. 3 out of 4 again like when they started this run in 01, 03, and 04? Sounds good to me. But for now, I'll continue to enjoy this one awhile longer. Peace!

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
faldor wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
faldor wrote:

Obviously we're biased, but I think the Patriots are clearly the better team on paper and by what you observe on the field. But as is always the case, Any Given Sunday. If the Pats come out flat and Atlanta wins the turnover battle they will probably win the game. That's the only way I see it though. Of course the Pats have been prone to some flukey plays in these games too, so that's always a possibility.

If the pats win, it'll be because of their experience and poise. And of course superior coaching, strategies and preparation.

But as far as raw talent...Atlanta has two starting RBs, a a well seasoned Matt Ryan and Julio who is probably the best WR in football.

So with all that said, my heart says Atlanta, but my head says New England. New England should win this game. He plays to their strengths. Disciplined and intelligent football.

You kind of called it there, well nailed it pretty much for 3+ quarters. Atlanta was definitely the more athletic team, I wouldn't say they were better though. Despite building a 25 point lead, New England was driving the ball down the field and controlling time of possession. They just weren't putting points up. And that pick 6 was obviously a killer, not to mention the Blount fumble as they were headed for some points that completely changed momentum. Ultimately though, they made the proper in game adjustments and completely shut down the Falcons running game in the 2nd half. They also held Julio in check the entire game really. I mean the guy had four catches which were all otherworldly. You couldn't ask for better coverage on him.

And while Atlanta's defense played fast and harassed Brady all night, they were on the field way too much and were completely gassed which allowed for the epic comeback. Brady picked them apart and could do pretty much whatever he wanted down the stretch. I never gave up on them, I've learned not to over the years. But I'd be lying if I said I felt good being down 28-3 midway through the 3rd. They got rolling though and they weren't going to be denied. Looking back though, it's just amazing how it all unfolded. They needed just about everything to go right to complete the comeback and it pretty much did. And as if the two scoring drives to tie the game weren't enough, the two 2 point conversions were even more impressive. All or nothing on those plays, and they got it all.

I'm not sure if that'll go down as a great game per se, the greatest comeback for sure. A tale of two halves. But I certainly will never forget it. Oh, and Brady's not retiring even though Gisele wants him to. And why would he? He's still at the top of his game amazingly. Had 35 TD's and 5 INT's this season. He said he wants to play another 5 years. I'm not sure about that, but I wouldn't bet against him. I'd say at least another 2-3. And Garappolo will probably be traded this off season as long as they get a haul for him. They supposedly really like the kid they drafted last year, Jacoby Brissett. He could be the heir apparent to Brady when he decides to hang it up. Jimmy G is a free agent after next season, so if they plan on having Brady for longer than that he would probably bolt for more money at that point. Might as well get something (a lot) for him while you can.

FlashFlood, did you survive the game? Congrats my man! You too Neemo. Patriots fans unite! Crazy thing is, they're already early favorites to win it all again next year. 3 out of 4 again like when they started this run in 01, 03, and 04? Sounds good to me. But for now, I'll continue to enjoy this one awhile longer. Peace!

thanks...lol

I was pretty proud of this once the game actually happened. Of course, no one could've predicted that comeback...but for the most part, the game went down as I expected. Matt Ryan and the Falcons were the more talented team top to bottom of the roster.

But that's what makes the Patriots head and shoulders above the competition. They put every player they have in a position to succeed. Average players become good players and good players become great players. I remember one year where the patriots had one player drafted in the first four rounds starting on their defense. Of course, they were still competing....and winning.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:
faldor wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
faldor wrote:

Haha yes. Somehow survived!

Loved the game but I think the SB 49 win was sweeter. Malcolm Butler's interception is the single greatest play in SPORTS history.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

"Oh, and Brady's not retiring even though Gisele wants him to. And why would he? He's still at the top of his game amazingly. Had 35 TD's and 5 INT's this season. He said he wants to play another 5 years. I'm not sure about that, but I wouldn't bet against him."

He'll play until he wins another SB. If he thinks he can repeat, maybe try again. He doesn't need the money and is playing for history at this point. He wins 1 or 2 more, no one will ever beat his record....not in the parity era where the dynasties are over.

He's being talked about up there with Montana. The key is going out on top.

faldor

faldor wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

"Oh, and Brady's not retiring even though Gisele wants him to. And why would he? He's still at the top of his game amazingly. Had 35 TD's and 5 INT's this season. He said he wants to play another 5 years. I'm not sure about that, but I wouldn't bet against him."

He'll play until he wins another SB. If he thinks he can repeat, maybe try again. He doesn't need the money and is playing for history at this point. He wins 1 or 2 more, no one will ever beat his record....not in the parity era where the dynasties are over.

He's being talked about up there with Montana. The key is going out on top.

I think he'll play as long as his body allows him to and he's still productive. There were signs he was on the decline a few years back, but he got refocused and reenergized, partially fueled by the Deflategate nonsense I truly believe. He's always had a chip on his shoulder and something to prove despite all the success and accolades. He's a rare breed. For the last five years I've been fretting and saying he's got about two or three good years left in him. I'll stick with that and hope he continues to prove me wrong.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

Faldor,

Are u still running a Fantasy Football league this year?  Just wanted to know whether or not I can defend my championship from last year.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

If you do a Pick Em, I could hang with that. Fantasy is too much of a time commitment.

faldor

faldor wrote:
slashsfro wrote:

Faldor,

Are u still running a Fantasy Football league this year?  Just wanted to know whether or not I can defend my championship from last year.

Sure, if people are still interested I registered the league for another season. Every team from last year is automatically renewed, so if anyone wants to drop out or get in let me know. I set the draft for Wednesday 8/30 at 9pm EST.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Draft is tonight I think. For those of you playing.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Sweet...thx for the reminder

Board footer