You are not logged in. Please register or login.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

Re: The 24 hottest things in tech in 1997

PaSnow wrote:

Sortof clickbait, but a cool trip down memory lane.

https://www.cnet.com/pictures/this-was- … o-in-1997/

johndivney wrote:

Seeing Netscape & Realplayer made me laugh.

I loved the N64 but I think technically it was a 1996 launch in Japan & the US.

I was a teenager when GTA launched so you can imagine how mind blowing it was for me. I haven't matured very much since..

AtariLegend wrote:

N64 had some classic games i.e Zelda, Super Mario 64 and Banjo-Kazooie... but Playstation always had more.

johndivney wrote:

Nah. Goldeneye. Ocarina of Time. Mario 64.
Not even close.

AtariLegend wrote:

It also had dodgy games like Superman 64 tongue. Then they rushed out the Gamecube instead of developing more 64 games.

On Playstation I remember;

Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX
Metal Gear Solid
WWF SmackDown! (although N64 had Wrestlemania  and No Mercy which clearly were better)
Worms Armageddon
Dino Crisis

Along with your GTA tongue.

Medal of Honor? (Actually was this any good.)
Spider-Man 2: Enter Electro

Never got into Resident Evil.
Breath of Fire IV (actually this was a fairly inferior Final Fantasy)

SNES Ports like:

Chrono Trigger/Final Fantasy VI

Meh all I know is I had more Playstation games and I'm forgetting the others that I liked.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

Playstation had a good NHL early on, the graphics were definitely the next echelon up from Sega. Also I can't believe GTA is 20 years old?!  I still remember hearing some of the things you can do (steal cars, beat up cops etc) and asking my cousin about it.

Anyone else remember Parappa the Rapper?

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Playstation had a good NHL early on, the graphics were definitely the next echelon up from Sega. Also I can't believe GTA is 20 years old?!  I still remember hearing some of the things you can do (steal cars, beat up cops etc) and asking my cousin about it.

The first GTA was completely different from the way they do it now....it had an overhead view and everything was 2 dimensional. Still a great game though.

dalethirsty
 Rep: 20 

dalethirsty wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

N64 had some classic games i.e Zelda, Super Mario 64 and Banjo-Kazooie... but Playstation always had more.

the n64 is one of the top 3 systems in history. the greatest multiplayer console to ever exist. goldeneye, perfect dark, mario party, mario kart, diddy kong racing, wwf no mercy, wcw/nwo revenge, star fox -- the list goes on.

the only thing i can fault the n64 for is the complete lack of rpgs. & quest 64 doesn't count.

the gamecube was a better system, overall. i'd actually put the gamecube as the greatest console of all time, but i'm a biased nintendo fanboy who didn't own a non-nintendo system until the ps3, so what do i know?

i'd put the ps3 up there as well. better than the n64, but not as good as the gamecube.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

The first GTA was completely different from the way they do it now....it had an overhead view and everything was 2 dimensional. Still a great game though.

Oh yeah. I had it years later. Probably 2005. Had a 3 pack, came with London and something else. Still was great, I'm not a huge video game buff but I would guess top 10-top 15 all time.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Then they rushed out the Gamecube

That console was/is an obimination. There needed to be mass firings over that damn controller. It only had a few games going for it and its actually sad that the long awaited Metroid sequel was unveiled during this era of Nintendo. 

Too many drugs ago for me to remember all its games. I did not play this console for very long. Those mini discs were laughable. You literally laughed every time you put a game in.

the gamecube was a better system, overall. i'd actually put the gamecube as the greatest console of all time,

Wow.

I was one of those people who thought Nintendo had nailed their coffin shut with the Gamecube's unveiling. No one wanted to own one. It was the kiddy console and in an era when tons of adults were gamers, not a smart move.

That's a problem Nintendo has had for eons and they'll never shake it no matter how good or bad its console is.

Medal of Honor? (Actually was this any good.)

Yes it was good. Only problem was it came across as an arcade version of a war game.

Never got into Resident Evil.

That first Resident Evil was mindblowing. Had never been anything like it before.

Board footer