You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: HMV says "CD not a scheduled release this year"

Neemo wrote:

I pre-ordered a copy of CD when it was available on HMV's web site a couple of years ago. I just got the following email...

Dear HMV Customer You asked us to send you CHINESE DEMOCRACY by GUNS N' ROSES.  Unfortunately we have been informed by their record company that this title no longer has a scheduled release date for this year. Your order will be kept open for when the album is eventually released. You have not been charged as we only take payment once we send it to you. We really hope you're not too disappointed.  Kind Regards, Jamie HookOnline Buying Teamwww.hmv.com <http://www.hmv.com>

posted by a user named W. Adam S @ HTGTH

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

well now this is something HMV has not said before 16

anyway its HMV I dont put any stock in this...but this brings another question to the forefront...if the label told them that CD wont bereelased this year then did the label tell them that it was going to be released in previous years when they listed it on their website? hmm

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

The plot slightly thickens...

Not a fan of how HMV handles things, but if they have been told recently by Universal that CD is not on their release schedule, its not a good sign. Obviously its early in the year and anything can happen, but the least this info does is write off the first half of 08.

Its pretty much fall or nothing at this point.

Maybe Uni REALLY doesn't know what to do with this project. If it is indeed finished, they better figure something out soon because the longer they hold on to a finished product, the bigger chance it has of leaking.

If the full album leaks with no release in sight, they'll never make a dime off this album.

Backslash
 Rep: 80 

Backslash wrote:

That letter looks about 2 years too late.  For some reason I think this is a form letter and the "this year" either refers to 2006 or 2007.  Why would they say "no longer... release date for this year"?  It's January.  An entire album can be written, produced, and distributed by the end of the year.  Just saying....

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:
Backslash wrote:

That letter looks about 2 years too late.  For some reason I think this is a form letter and the "this year" either refers to 2006 or 2007.  Why would they say "no longer... release date for this year"?  It's January.  An entire album can be written, produced, and distributed by the end of the year.  Just saying....

I think you are on the right track but I actually doubt that this is a legitimate reply at all.  Here's the clues: "You asked us to send you Chinese Democracy by Guns N Roses", that isn't the way it would be written.  It would be more like, "You preordered Chinese Democracy by the artist Guns N Roses, unfortunately...(blah blah blah)."  They wouldn't have said "asked us to send you Chinese Democracy", it's an order not a favor.

Next problem:  "Your order will be kept open for when the album is eventually released."  Problems here as well.  First they wouldn't say "for", the word would be "until" also not "eventually" but more likely "if" or "when" at best.   

Finally:  "We really hope you're not too disappointed."   WTF?  I have a very hard time buying that line.  It would be closer to "sorry for any inconvenience", "not too disappointed" sounds stupid.   

I reallize this could have just been a very unprofessional person (there is a name attached on the reply which in my opinion is the only hint of this being real) replying but it smells like just another case of bulshit to me.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

^^ Good call Gunslinger, it does seem fake, I just couldn't pinpoint it. Why would the label bother telling HMV, in mid-January "The album won't be out this year". Also, why then, would HMV send a notice saying "It won't be out this year" but then still say "Your order will be kept open for when the album is eventually released."  Isn't that what it already is?? Why send a notice when nothings changing.

I could see if the notice said "Due to recordkeeping purposes, we will no longer be monitoring advance orders of CD, please re-order when you see further notice this album is released." But this notice, I chalk it up as fake.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

agree to the last posts that this is written funny and that uni wouldn't completely rule out '08 in january while holding a complete cd.

plus..

if they did would they really tell hmv that this early? hmv has been giving the album free advertisement the last couple years.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

NY Giants82 wrote:

Sounds fake...

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

I'm not puttign any stock in this.  Amazon listed CD before, as have countless others.  I seriously doubt people are contatcing Geffen/Universal/Sanctuary/Whoever about the release date of one album.  Furthermore, the record companies are under no obligation to keep distibutors up to date on anticipated or estimated releases.  When something solid is confirmed, we'll know.  Until then, I won't be listening to what 3rd parties who know less than us say.

Board footer