You are not logged in. Please register or login.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

Re: Chris Cornell dead

jimmythegent wrote:

I'm stoked GN'R did it and I'm amazed at how faithful it is (Axl notwithstanding) - the band are tight and do a better version than most. The 2 most important bands of my life and a lump in the throat seeing them pay homage - it must have been special being there. His death has really shaken the rock and music world on a wider scale than perhaps could have been anticipated. People are seeing him for what he is now - one of the true greats of our time.

James -I hear you about how BHS is being universally used as the tribute song and the song Cornell is being remembered by. Fact of the matter however, is everyone knows it universally and he will be remembered for it more than any (Like a stone seems to be running a distant second). It transcended era's and elevated the genre. Chances are if GNR had chosen a deep cut, 99% of the audience would have been heading for a piss break none the wiser.

Norah Jones' stripped down tribute is the best I've heard yet (stay away from Dave Mustaine murdering Outshined). Tasteful and really highlights what a great and melodically sophisticated song it is... Haunting also that it was at the venue he played his last show...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfFndn2fIJc

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Stone Sour covered Outshined and played it really well too

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Yeah it was a shock. Not expecting that at all.

I always thought it sucked that BHS wound up being their most famous song. I've complained about this for years. Not even close to being one of my favorites. Hell, its the 3rd worst song on Superunknown IMO. Now that he is dead, everyone is paying tribute to him by performing BHS. Yes its an instant crowd pop as even great grandmas have heard the song but I'd like a bit of variety.

Living Colour did Blow Up the Outside World(pretty good job too).

[/embed]

God that was fucking awesome!!!!  Good job bun living colour.

Axl sucked so bad on BHS. Wow

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

A really long article from Rolling Stone. It's a must read.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/featu … ys-w484560

I'm just going to quote the stuff regarding his future plans....

O'Brien produced Cornell's latest solo album, 2015's Higher Truth, and had recently done sessions with Cornell for a potential record of cover versions.

I hope those sessions were very productive. His covers are amazing and god only knows which songs he picked.

Morello last saw Cornell on January 20th, when Audioslave reunited in L.A. at the Anti-Inaugural Ball, a protest concert held on the night of President Trump's inauguration.

Cornell was "shining" at that gig, Morello insists. "We hung out after the show – just laughed, took pictures. The last thing he said to me was, 'I had such a great time. I would love to do this again. You just let me know.' I was like, 'Yeah, let's figure it out!'

Sounds like an Audioslave reunion was going to be on the table at some point.

"I spent the last week and a half in a room with no windows, just doing Soundgarden demos," Cornell told me during an interview for Rolling Stone in August 2015. "We're going to meet in four days and spend a week together. By the end of that week, we'll have a lot of stuff, a lot of ideas to work with."

Maybe this project was a bit further along than previously thought.

And Paul Buckmaster, who created the string arrangement for "The Promise," says that Cornell was "great in the studio" and "totally fascinated" with the process of recording with an orchestra: "He'd never seen anything like this before." Buckmaster reveals that the 2016 session for the film song went so well that, in recent weeks, "there was even talk of me doing orchestrations" of Soundgarden material for live shows, possibly with the band.

This is absolutely unreal. Looks like Soundgarden may have been about to go in directions not even thought possible.

I love what Cantrell said here...

Until that Wednesday in Detroit, Cornell was "the last guy in the world I thought that would happen to," says guitarist Jerry Cantrell of the Seattle band Alice in Chains, who lost their original singer, Layne Staley, to a drug overdose in 2002. "That's not the way that book was supposed to end. And it was not the way that book was going."

sad 17

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Jimmytheagent Guns was tight in that BHS cover. Axls voice does a great rendition of it imho, and the band just nails it.

Dave Mustaine's cover was abysmal. Awful, would've thought he could've pulled it off alot better?!  Not a fan, but the Stone Sour cover was impressive.

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Jimmytheagent Guns was tight in that BHS cover. Axls voice does a great rendition of it imho, and the band just nails it.

Dave Mustaine's cover was abysmal. Awful, would've thought he could've pulled it off alot better?!  Not a fan, but the Stone Sour cover was impressive.

Considering Dave is n`t known for his vocal chops, I say it was a decent cover.

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:

If Chris did n`t commit a suicide, we would get a Soundgarden album, an Audioslave album and maybe Temple of the Dog and several solo albums as well. Sad loss.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Yeah, he had a ton of stuff planned. It's just totally bizarre. There's no telling how much is in his vault.

I know this is morbid, but I really hope Axl has a kid in the next few years, or else his estate and guns as a corporation will be an absolute mess.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Full version. Much better than the clip GNR posted to fbook. Cool to see Duff singing and also the visuals on the. If screen were cool. The space needle etc.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Just because this shows him and his kids which it looks like he loved very much.

Board footer