You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Chris Cornell dead

Axlin16 wrote:
JamesLofton wrote:

He knows.

I have not watched the whole show yet but apparently he makes comments such as "I feel bad for the people in the next city", "You were here to see it", etc. which shows he already knew he was ending it.

If its mainly due to relapse and not anything terrible currently going on in his life, it makes it even more tragic.

He also kept raving on Detroit and like I said earlier, this city may have had a special meaning to him and this is where he wanted to go out.

His method I find shocking. You'd think a drug user would use drugs as the way out.....or even a gun but he likely didn't have access to guns due to being on tour. Hanging yourself is no guarantee. You can wind up as a vegetable. On the other hand, if you take drugs, you can be saved in the nick of time....which could've happened here as his wife sent someone to check on him.

I'm also wondering if his near constant touring as either solo, SG, or back when he did Audioslave for years on end was his attempt to escape from his own thoughts. When constantly putting on shows, interacting with fans, traveling, etc. could help alleviate your private thoughts.

So does drugs.

This was the very first thing I thought, and also the first thing I mentioned to a friend. Cornell touched many different drugs over the years, and he, along with Layne, were the first to kinda discover the whole OxyContin thing years before it became the drug of choice for Gen Y'ers.

The only thing that makes me think Cornell might've hesitated was if, because he was a lifelong (almost) addict, if he assumed he'd need a shitload of smack to get it done, and bailed on the idea, because, like you said, he wanted to make sure it was good and final.

I also feel this was per-meditated. There are no murder conspiracies here. Kurt, in my opinion, was murdered (of the Seattle guys). Chris, along with Layne's slow suicide, they knew damn well what there end would be, and Chris probably made his mind up years ago, and whatever "bullshit" lately brought him back to that option, an option he had considered before.

Alot of people have missed his last tweet before the Detroit show included #nomorebullshit while going to perform at The Fox in Detroit. Even if his death was close, he was no dreading it, it was a sense of relief, he knew what his plans were.

Then to see the clips of the show, his frankly bizarre behavior (obvious mania going on, especially in the eyes), makes you question whether he was high during the performance, or like Charlie Sheen before him, he was "on a drug called Chris Cornell", and was overtly exciting knowing this was his final performance.

The My Wave intro is even more telling, and weird. The analogy he made about the crossing burning and telling the audience to do whatever they want, but to not fuck with him (and then amend to adding the band), as well as the intro to Mailman, where he made an analogy about writing the song about some guy with a gun spraying a post office, or whatever that was he talked about.

Whatever was going on in his life, he had had enough and knew Detroit would be his end, even though there was a few more dates.

I agree Detroit (or possibly the venue) must hold some significance for him. Remember this was a mid-week Soundgarden-ONLY show, and not the festival dates on the weekends they had been playing. He knew this would be personal, and SG knew they went out of their way to book this specific gig. He knew it was coming and picked this one for a reason. That I agree wholeheartedly.

One also has to wonder if he had been contemplating this for months. He got closure with being able to tour solo, tour with Temple of the Dog, one final Audioslave show, and close out his career with Soundgarden. If not, alot of damn things lined up for him that came full circle for his life and legacy.

I also agree by his recent comments, and the fact it had been going on five years, and they hadn't gotten into a studio yet to record the follow-up to King Animal, yet Cornell was still doing solo stuff as well as guest appearances constantly, was another sign that SG was at a crossroads, and there were no plans Chris' end for future SG music. At least not in whatever current capacity was going on. The band however wanted to record, based on multiple comments made, and something was holding that up.

JamesLofton wrote:

Not been mentioned yet as its too soon but I'll say it anyways....

Under no circumstances will I support a SG without Cornell. I don't care if its marketed as a tribute to Cornell tour, fuck em if they go that route. I love all the members of Soundgarden but they better not take it in that direction at any point.

edit: I'll support it if its Axlgarden. 16 Kidding aside, I would LOVE for Axl to cover Soundgarden on the upcoming GNR tour. If anyone could do justice to some of those tracks, Axl can but it would have to be Axl on a night playing his A game. Can you imagine Axl singing something like Jesus Christ Pose, Birth Ritual, Superunknown,etc.? 11 Now that I think about it, Axl isn't the problem. The issue would be could GNR musically handle some of the SG stuff?

I completely disagree with you here. It's not fair at all to Kim, one of the most underrated guitarists in his era, and the actual FOUNDER of the band, to pack it up, because Chris couldn't deal with his bullshit and chose to pack it in and leave the building for good.

That's not Kim's fault. Or Ben's. Or Matt's. Granted Matt can always jump to Pearl Jam, but I always hated how SG, with all that talent, sat dormant for years, so Chris could go do what he wanted.

There's no way that band is not feeling tons of mixed emotions right now, especially Kim & Ben, imho. And it is way way way too late in the game for these guys to rebuild that band into something else (think Dead & Co.) in order to keep making music and go on.

Although Cornell was an amazing writer, I would absolutely support, based on Chris' decision to leave the way he did, a Soundgarden without Cornell.

But I do agree, that they'd have to have a singer that matched Cornell's prowess both vocally and lyrically. Axl is a good choice, but Axl's never had the soul to his voice that Chris did.

Chris is irreplaceable. That would be like Zeppelin replacing Plant with Myles Kennedy.

Although I hear Sammy Hagar is available (wink wink, lol)

JamesLofton wrote:

There's already some talk from some fans about removing Pretty Noose and LIke Suicide from the catalog. Fuck that shit. Cornell never would've wanted that and besides, half the discography is depressing and could potentially come across as a suicide note in hindsight like Staley's Mad Season lyrics.

Don't remove ANY of his work. His discography is perfect as is. Its untouchable among his peers.....so don't touch it.

I agree. This is total fuckin' bullshit. The fuckin' PC, SJW pussies at work again. The first song I thought of today was Pretty Noose. I was going to post it here, 'cause it was all I was listening to. Trying to find some clue, thinking maybe it was a sign years ago of a planned end.

But if you start deleted Cornell's lyrics and songs n' shit, you might as well delete half of SG's catalog. Same with Layne Staley, let's get rid of Mad Season's Above album. Let's delete River of Deceit, while we're at it. Hopefully Jerry Cantrell doesn't off himself, or otherwise we'll have to delete Gone from Degradation Trip.

These guys had the emotion and the balls to do things and take their art to some of the darkest levels in the history of rock, and they lost their lives in different ways. Let's appreciate the ART that sacrifice gave us. A beautiful darkness. Like a great HR Giger painting.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

James Lofton wrote:

His solo material a whole different beast. We all know he was prolific. There is going to be a ton to work with. For his sake and the sake of his legacy, I hope they don't unload everything just to make money. Quality control needs to be the name of the game when dealing with his vault.

I wonder – and I realise it's ghoulishly soon to think about this – if the Soundgarden guys will co-opt any of his unreleased solo material for future releases. Queen kind of did the same with Made in Heaven, though in that instance they actually used some previously-released Mercury solo material.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Chris is irreplaceable. That would be like Zeppelin replacing Plant with Myles Kennedy.

Ironically the only person I could possibly see working as a Plant replacement in Zeppelin was... Chris Cornell.

I don't see how they can go on, really. Cornell was one of a kind. I mean, could you see Axl or Eddie Vedder or Chester Bennington stepping into those shoes? When Chris went out the way he did?

Mind you, I said that about Queen, and 20-odd years later they managed to find Adam Lambert, so who knows?

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:

Even though it will never happen, Axl is the only only one who can replace Chris properly as his singing and writing prowess surpasses Chris`. Anything is possible, Jerry managed to replace Layne after all...

HKH
 Rep: 0 

HKH wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:

I'll never be able to rectify why Chris bailed on his 3 kids, that is inexcusable to me, like Kurt and Francis Bean (if we don't believe in the murder-theory).

I can totally understand why you feel this way.  I used to feel the same.  Then, a few years ago, a good friend of mine killed himself.  He was married, had three young children and was a respected, successful doctor.  He was down-to-earth, witty as shit, modest, thoughtful.  One of a kind.  Just a very cool dude.  He was also a recovering alcoholic.  In fact, we met in an outpatient program and got each other through some pretty tough times.  There was not a selfish bone in his body and I know he loved his children immensely.  I will ever accept that he was only thinking of himself when he took his own life.  It just wasn't in his nature. 

I think it's important to understand that when people get to the point where they're ready to chose death over life, they are no longer thinking rationally.  They no longer have a realistic view of their place in this world.  They don't comprehend what they mean to others nor do they realize the tremendous impact their death will have on those who care about them.  They have lost all feelings of self-worth.  I think, often, they truly feel they are doing their loved ones a favor by relieving them of a burden. 

It's hard to understand why any loving parent would chose to leave their children.  I get that.  I really do.  I don't condone suicide nor do I think it's the right choice.  I just don't necessarily see it as a selfish act when someone decides it's their only choice.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
HKH wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:

I'll never be able to rectify why Chris bailed on his 3 kids, that is inexcusable to me, like Kurt and Francis Bean (if we don't believe in the murder-theory).

I can totally understand why you feel this way.  I used to feel the same.  Then, a few years ago, a good friend of mine killed himself.  He was married, had three young children and was a respected, successful doctor.  He was down-to-earth, witty as shit, modest, thoughtful.  One of a kind.  Just a very cool dude.  He was also a recovering alcoholic.  In fact, we met in an outpatient program and got each other through some pretty tough times.  There was not a selfish bone in his body and I know he loved his children immensely.  I will ever accept that he was only thinking of himself when he took his own life.  It just wasn't in his nature. 

I think it's important to understand that when people get to the point where they're ready to chose death over life, they are no longer thinking rationally.  They no longer have a realistic view of their place in this world.  They don't comprehend what they mean to others nor do they realize the tremendous impact their death will have on those who care about them.  They have lost all feelings of self-worth.  I think, often, they truly feel they are doing their loved ones a favor by relieving them of a burden. 

It's hard to understand why any loving parent would chose to leave their children.  I get that.  I really do.  I don't condone suicide nor do I think it's the right choice.  I just don't necessarily see it as a selfish act when someone decides it's their only choice.

Agreed. Depression is one fucked up mental illness. The person is in a very bizarre state of mind. Like you mentioned, they think they are a burden on family and friends. They believe killing themselves will remove that burden from their loved ones. Fucked up place for the human mind to go.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Holy shit...this story is now taking a very bizarre and more tragic turn....

The family of Chris Cornell are speaking out about the shocking death of the Soundgarden and Audioslave frontman, who was found dead at MGM Grand Detroit on Wednesday night. The medical examiner ruled that Cornell died of suicide by hanging, but the family believes he was not suicidal and instead hint that the side effects of his prescription drugs may have led to his death.

The Cornell family’s attorney Kirk Pasich said in a statement that the family is “disturbed” at inferences that Cornell knowingly and intentionally took his life and that Cornell told his wife that he had taken “an extra Ativan or two” before his death.

“Without the results of toxicology tests, we do not know what was going on with Chris — or if any substances contributed to his demise,” Pasich said. “Chris, a recovering addict, had a prescription for Ativan and may have taken more Ativan than recommended dosages. The family believes that if Chris took his life, he did not know what he was doing, and that drugs or other substances may have affected his actions.”
Ativan (lorazepam) is a benzodiazepine that is used to treat anxiety, drug withdrawal, agoraphobia and seizure disorders, among other things. According to the U.S. National Library of Medicine, rare but serious side effects include worsening depression, unusual mood or behavior and thoughts of hurting yourself.

For a small percentage of Ativan users, it can have crazy side effects. Looks like one of the greatest singers of our time may have wound up being in that extreme minority.

This is shocking.

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:

RIP Chris. sad

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Another official statement. Definitely sounds like he took a few too many ativan and it sent him over the edge. This is just unreal.

It is horrifying that something as simple as taking a couple extra ativan to soothe the nerves could lead to such a tragedy.

Vicky Cornell, the wife of Soundgarden singer Chris Cornell, issued a statement Friday morning where she remembered her late husband, who died Thursday morning at the age of 52, and speculated whether his suicide was the result of taking too much of his anxiety medication.

"Chris's death is a loss that escapes words and has created an emptiness in my heart that will never be filled. As everyone who knew him commented, Chris was a devoted father and husband. He was my best friend," Vicky wrote.

"His world revolved around his family first and, of course, his music second. He flew home for Mother's Day to spend time with our family. He flew out mid-day Wednesday, the day of the show, after spending time with the children. When we spoke before the show, we discussed plans for a vacation over Memorial Day and other things we wanted to do."

However, following Soundgarden's concert Wednesday night, Vicky noticed a change in her husband's demeanor when they talked on the phone after the show.

"When we spoke after the show, I noticed he was slurring his words; he was different. When he told me he may have taken an extra Ativan or two, I contacted security and asked that they check on him," she continued. "What happened is inexplicable and I am hopeful that further medical reports will provide additional details. I know that he loved our children and he would not hurt them by intentionally taking his own life."

An attorney for the Cornell family, Kirk Pasich, reiterated Vicky's belief that an extra dosage of Ativan, an anxiety medication often employed by recovering addicts, altered Chris Cornell's mental faculties after the Detroit show. Pasich added that the Cornell family is "disturbed at inferences that Chris knowingly and intentionally took his life."

"Without the results of toxicology tests, we do not know what was going on with Chris — or if any substances contributed to his demise," Pasich said. "Chris, a recovering addict, had a prescription for Ativan and may have taken more Ativan than recommended dosages. The family believes that if Chris took his life, he did not know what he was doing, and that drugs or other substances may have affected his actions."

Pasich added that side effects of Ativan include "paranoid or suicidal thoughts, slurred speech and impaired judgment"; Vicky Cornell noted her husband's slurred speech following the Detroit concert in her statement.

She added, "The outpouring of love and support from his fans, friends and family means so much more to us than anyone can know. Thank you for that, and for understanding how difficult this is for us."

Hours after Cornell's death at a Detroit hotel, a medical examiner's report confirmed that the singer had died by suicide.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Fuck man. Damn

Board footer