You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Facebook Announcement

James wrote:

We need it in HQ. I'm praying GNR post a better version on twitter/FB. Only crappy cellphone vids exist at the moment. He kicks ass on the song no doubt. Funny that Fortus takes the solo and not Slash.

I wish he would've performed a different song. He probably wanted to but its not a Soundgarden audience. Everyone in the world knows Black Hole Sun. If they had started playing Fresh Tendrils, or even something like Fell on Black Days, crowd would've been silent. Some might have taken it as a sign for a piss break.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoYoLlhCCeY&t=199s

I hope its not a one time thing. It needs to become a standard in the set on this tour. It will get a crowd pop everywhere.

johndivney wrote:

Went to gig after a lot of debate. At the time BHS was a terribly sad moment for myself & I thought Axl did it justice.
Chris cast a pall over the day that wasn't able to overcome imo. It was an extremely good GnR gig but the spectre of Chris hangs heavy. Lovely tribute. Was the only song worth singing on the way back after the gig.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I just want to say....

Sure we all knew we were most likely in for disappointment or the minimum again.

However...lets be honest..

Rewind 10 years and I was one of the people (like others here) desperately waiting for Chinese Democracy to come out and there was a chorus of naysayers informing me that the past 10 years demonstrated that the album would NEVER BE RELEASED

Rewind 5 years and there were people here desperately calling for a reunion, and there was a chorus of people (including me) saying that the previous 15 years of history and Axl had said it would NEVER HAPPEN.

Here we are in 2017 and I have a couple of physical copies of Chinese Democracy and I just went and saw Axl and Slash onstage together.

Yes GNR fans are used to being disappointed, and the safest best is usually to assume the band will do as little as possible, however, history also shows that long term predictions of impossibility are wrong.

Given the promos they posted, that they have 2-3 albums semi done for nearly 20 years, that they've been reunited for a year or two now, and that this cycle is wearing to a close, it wasn't as far fetched as people are making out that something happened. Only as far fetched as this reunion itself was 3 years back.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I'm in the minority who never really thought it was as far fetched as it appeared to be on its surface. I mean yeah....some comments and actions made it appear like hell would freeze over before it would happen but on the other hand, it was clearly obvious that all that was required to get it going was one phone call, which most assumed had to come from Slash. It wound up being the exact opposite...Axl reached out.

We also know that he was considering it for years before it happened. I forgot which tour manager said it but they claimed Axl knew it was coming but wasn't ready yet. This was in the middle of the Ashba-Ron years.

The moment he uttered "not in this lifetime" it was just begging to be this generations "Hell freezes Over".....which is exactly what it became.

I also think it almost happened in 2005 as I believe Weiland and Halfin and of course we had the bizarre Axl-Slash-Beta incident which was never fully explained.

There's still time for an album. There's still time for a box set with rarities. Still time for deluxe editions of every album in the discography.

Axl appears to be happy. A happy Axl usually leads to good things which is why I never understood the hardcore fans begging for rants. Rants at concerts usually lead to disaster(see 2002) and why would fans even want him in such a state of mind?

His comeback was successful. I always said the world was just begging to welcome him back with open arms. CD which was a great idea on paper turned into an albatross around his neck and he doesn't deserve sole blame for that. The label fucked him really bad. Don't ever forget he wanted it released in 2001. If he gets his way, the CD era gets to wind down in 2002. Instead GNR enters a state of limbo where it tours off and on with silence and leaks as interludes.

He's back. They're back. They are a major act again like U2, Stones, and Metallica. We're in round 1. No one knows what round 2 will bring but I can assure you it will not be the round 2 of the CD years.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I'm in the minority who never really thought it was as far fetched as it appeared to be on its surface. I mean yeah....some comments and actions made it appear like hell would freeze over before it would happen but on the other hand, it was clearly obvious that all that was required to get it going was one phone call, which most assumed had to come from Slash. It wound up being the exact opposite...Axl reached out.

If we're being cynical, it took CD being a monumental failure, near his entire band quitting, and Slash's bitter divorce.

An optimist would see that dark cloud as friends finding each other again amidst chaos. A pessimist, well...

James Lofton wrote:

Axl appears to be happy. A happy Axl usually leads to good things which is why I never understood the hardcore fans begging for rants. Rants at concerts usually lead to disaster(see 2002) and why would fans even want him in such a state of mind?

An assemblage of fans always seemed to get their rocks off at antagonizing Axl.

I don't think he was well liked in their halcyon days, arguably for good or bad reasons, and the divorce exacerbated things. No different than picking on the slow kid. Blood in the water, shall we say.

James Lofton wrote:

His comeback was successful.

This has the writings of a nice closing chapter to a frustrating read.

A comeback proper would entail new / relevant music and larger public support.

If he's feeling particularly ambitious, he could get his late-era Bowie out and release New Guns rebranded ala The Axl Rose Show or WAR or something.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I mean yeah....some comments and actions made it appear like hell would freeze over before it would happen but on the other hand, it was clearly obvious that all that was required to get it going was one phone call, which most assumed had to come from Slash.

It actually makes sense to me that it was Axl who reached out though.

I mean other than slash making the occasional 'singers' joke at Axl's expense, and flat out saying he thought late starts and cancelations are disrespectful to fans, there was never much of a sense of anger from Slash, I always got the feeling he was waiting to deal, he just wanted some respectful terms.

Axl on the other hand was out there with statements like this:

"There's zero possibility of me having anything to do with Slash other than by ambush, and that wouldn't be pretty" - 2009

It always needed to be Axl who chilled out about it.

My mistake was taking him at his word that he never would!!! hahah!

The tragic part of this story to me is that the 2005 visit didn't result in a reunion then.

We would have CD with Slash and the best from Slash's subsequent albums with Axl.

And many boots of the band before Axl's current vocal state.

Not to be I guess.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

It actually makes sense to me that it was Axl who reached out though.

Yes, but not for the reason you're making.

Slash and Duff used the courts at every turn. In the 90s, before the House of Blues show, and reportedly before CD was released. And let's not forget that Slash drew first blood with his comments to the press in the mid 90s. And after all that, he STILL was open to the idea of Slash playing on Chinese Democracy.

And let's not forget this:

Howard Weitzman wrote:

"Slash came to inform Axl that: 'Duff was spineless,' 'Scott was a fraud,' that he 'hates Matt Sorum' and that in this ongoing war, contest or whatever anyone wants to call it that Slash has waged against Axl for the better part of 20 years, that Axl has proven himself 'the stronger.'"

Axl was damn near gentlemanly about the whole thing.

Any who, who cares, ancient history at this point.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

I guess my thing is  - the video is disproportionate to the announcement.

Like you post a video:

XXXX - You're born
XXXX - Wife born
XXXX - First Date
XXXX - Epic Holiday Together
XXXX - Engagement
XXXX - Wedding
XXXX - Honeymoon
XXXX - first child born
XXXX - massive job promotion
XXXX - second child born

But there's more to come.....then in 2 days time you reveal:

10 weekends this year we will have dinner out!!!

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:

Mickey is in da house again. Black Hole Sun was horrible.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:
Ragnar wrote:

Mickey is in da house again. Black Hole Sun was horrible.

sad to agree. great of them to play it, though.

Board footer