You are not logged in. Please register or login.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

Re: Guns N' Roses planning new album - 'It's too good not to happen!'

mitchejw wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

MASSIVELY? Really? When he showed up onstage at the 06 VMAs, it was so awkwardly quiet you could hear a mouse fart. Half empty arena syndrome plagued them once again and shows(including mine) were canceled. Other than IRS popping up on that one station, the leaks did absolutely nothing but appease his hardcore fans.  Then add in the massive clusterfuck of how they handled the album. Not just Merck either...all of them.

His reemergence at the Korn party did make waves initially but it was downhill from there. Couple weeks later when he started in on the Slash bashing, it started to look like 'same as it ever was'....which is exactly what it wound up being.

It was unfortunate. Axl was amazing...he had the look...the swagger was back...he seemed like he had something to prove..... it just didn't go anywhere.

Another thing new GNR/CD had going against it was the fact it had already entered pop culture joke status. The previous three years saw nothing but jokes about Axl, Bucket, or the album in various media outlets. Then there was that terrible article in the NYT in 2005  stripping the Chinese emperor of his last strands of cloth and put the saga in a whole new light.

I think it went over better in Europe at those festivals but here it just didn't take off properly. IMO that tour shouldn't have been launched without an album.

The Ashba era a complete fiasco. I gave up the day he joined. I knew the white flag had been waved and we were never getting CD II from that lineup. I said it back then. He was making the touring lineup more marketable towards a casual audience...meaning it was nostalgia time.

It's so true...it got too difficult to defend them starting with the MTV appearance with bucket and co.

I remember when a pretty open minded friend thought about GnRs appearance at the VMAs as - "a lumberjack (tommy), a guy with a Kentucky fried chicken bucket on his head and the guitarist from NIN."

I was like...whoa....that doesn't sound like the triumphant return of a rock hero.

It's true though...that's how the general public viewed it.

Oh and ashba? He always looked like the stripper version of slash to me. Or slash from poison if there was ever one.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

The 2002 tour made Axl look like a bad joke. The 2006 tour made him look like a roaring lion. It was an amazing comeback.

The openers at Hammerstein got killer reviews, he was far more public, and the tour culminated with a glowing piece in the LA Times about Axl reclaiming his throne against the odds. The buzz was pretty great all year long but there was zero publicity and promotion which was a terrible decision and tour sales suffered because of it. It was all downhill from there. 

I bet there is so much behind the scenes fuckery it'll make your head spin. It'll never get out though.

And James, that's obviously true in a broad sense but if Slash and Duff get their hands on the material it'll be John Williams instead of Tchaikovsky or be dumbed down bullshit like 2012 GNR's Oh My God. I want the best. Period. I could give a fuck that Slash is back. Slash can be a marketing puppet and play on 2 songs. Go get your fucking shine box.

The point was, it never got off the ground or finished because it kept on changing. Supergroups don't last for a reason. Gimmicky in themselves and too many egos in one room. I'd rather have a rotating door with an end product than an ever-metastasizing operation that never gets anything done. The early record had a different sound than every other version because there were too many cooks in the kitchen.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

there's one supergroup I like that seems to keep going on - The Dead Daisies. their show here was super (in fact I preferred it to the GNR show which happened a few days later and I couldn't care less).
about DJ era - no, I was still hopeful in 2009 and a I actually enjoyed the first 2010 shows. but then it all went to shit, especially when I realized the Emperor is naked. I mean Axl's voice is full Mickey.
the current money grab nostalgia tour is just a logical continuation of 2010-2014 era, just with different lineup that allows more money grabbing.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:

I gave up in 2009 once Robin left.

I checked in periodically and threw in the towel for good in 2011 after that Rock In Rio embarrassment.

I went in 2012 (my first post here on Evo) but it was clear it was a nostalgia / just for money thing at that point.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I bet there is so much behind the scenes fuckery it'll make your head spin. It'll never get out though.

I bet there is too and most of it probably isn't even Axl's fault. With eons of hindsight I think the label is responsible for a majority of the mess concerning the project.

I'd rather have a rotating door with an end product than an ever-metastasizing operation that never gets anything done.

There's a razor thin line between those two.

THis is where a name change would've worked wonders. Something they all have equal share/power in.  Axl held all the cards in the band and in negotiations with the label. It all revolved around him.

There was a huge disconnect in the project from jump street and that aspect remained static until he called Slash....and I have a feeling that the current dynamic is very similar to how it was with those lineups(not counting the 'partnership').

I could give a fuck that Slash is back. Slash can be a marketing puppet and play on 2 songs. Go get your fucking shine box.

In my perfect world, the 2001 lineup would've reunited and released CD II and did the proper tour we never got in 2001.

My interest has always been new music...regardless of who is in or out of the band. I know the whole world is loving the reunion and I'm glad to see Axl back on top again but if bringing Slash back cant get us closer to the album, we were never getting it in the first place, regardless of the situation.

The early record had a different sound than every other version because there were too many cooks in the kitchen.

I still cant believe that the label approved that final mix and wrapped it in cellophane. At that point they probably didn't care...they were getting their money thanks to Azoff.

I wish they had told him to send in the 2001-02 album again and they'll take it.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I went in 2012 (my first post here on Evo) but it was clear it was a nostalgia / just for money thing at that point.

That was clear in 2009. 14 They did have a CD heavy setlist on the first leg but that Ashba lineup was going nowhere fast. Its still shocking that he was ever brought in.

tour is just a logical continuation of 2010-2014 era, just with different lineup that allows more money grabbing.

It does have the feel of another CD lineup. No promotion, no interviews, no sign of new music(yet anyways), nothing from the label, etc.

How many interviews has Slash gave since April 1st, 2016?

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

It's actually crazy to think the Ashba lineup was actually the most prolific lineup since UYI. Appetite for Democracy and Live @ 02 both in regular rotation on TV, and most diverse setlists we got were in his first leg.

That said, still the worst non-dark period for the band.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

It's actually crazy to think the Ashba lineup was actually the most prolific lineup since UYI. Appetite for Democracy and Live @ 02 both in regular rotation on TV, and most diverse setlists we got were in his first leg.

That said, still the worst non-dark period for the band.

haha, this is mad, but true.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:

That's what happens when you tour in Jackfuckistan, don't play new songs, and don't get a website until 2012.

Outside of the Taiwanese, people ignore you.

James Lofton wrote:

That was clear in 2009. 14 They did have a CD heavy setlist on the first leg but that Ashba lineup was going nowhere fast. Its still shocking that he was ever brought in.

True but just the massive stage and all and Axl shows up looking like a portly doorman.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

That's what happens when you tour in Jackfuckistan, don't play new songs, and don't get a website until 2012.

Outside of the Taiwanese, people ignore you.

James Lofton wrote:

True but just the massive stage and all and Axl shows up looking like a portly doorman.

Lmfao portly doorman...

Too soon man...too soon.

Board footer