You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 615 

Re: Tarantino to write/direct Manson film

James wrote:


Quentin Tarantino apparently has two more films in him before he drops the mic and rides off into the sunset. According to The Hollywood Reporter, his penultimate project will be his first-ever film based on a true story as Tarantino intends to adapt the Manson Family murders.

The 54-year-old director has written the script and intends to direct the as-yet-untitled film, THR adds. He hopes to begin filming next year and has begun pitching several prominent actors, including Brad Pitt, Jennifer Lawrence, Margot Robbie, and longtime collaborator Samuel L. Jackson.

Though Tarantino is still putting the finishing touches on the film’s script, the story will reportedly center on the 1969 murder of actress Sharon Tate and four others, carried out by Charles Manson and his followers. Deadline reports that Tarantino is eyeing Robbie to portray Tate and Pitt is being courted to play a detective investigating the murders. Many more details are still to come.

Tarantino’s previous film came in 2015 with The Hateful Eight.

https://consequenceofsound.net/2017/07/ … y-murders/

James
 Rep: 615 

Re: Tarantino to write/direct Manson film

James wrote:

I don't follow Tarantino(or films in general) to the extent I did in my youth. I had no idea he was planning on retiring soon. I'm actually surprised that one of his final films will be tackling the Manson family. Is Tarantino looking back on his youth and this one of the things in the late 60s that captivated him?

Is his last film going to be that Pulp Fiction prequel fans used to pipe dream about in the 90s?

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 111 

Re: Tarantino to write/direct Manson film

Yea, he's said he's done after 10 films. I love Tarantino.  Pulp Fiction may be my favorite movie. But I didn't care for the hateful eight. I'll definitely see this one, but I hope he's not slipping in his final act.

I read he gave up on the prequel because Travolta and Madsen are way too old to reprise their roles as the Vega brothers.

PaSnow
 Rep: 199 

Re: Tarantino to write/direct Manson film

PaSnow wrote:

Didn't know he was planning on retiring, although I guess I can see it with his style & everything. His circulating cast of characters has gotten older too, he' doesn't seem one for millenials.

I really did like his style, and Pulp is one of my favorite movies too. I saw it in the theater, and it was pretty full that night so we went up to the 3rd row. I remember just being blown away by it all, plus the fact the characters all were so big (due to sitting so close) Travolta & Jackson looked like movie stars I'd never seen before it was just a surreal experience.

I didn't like the Hateful 8 either, way too long & just incessant dialogue. Really should've cut out about an hour from the cabin scene. True Romance is great, he wrote it but didn't direct it. He sold the script to fundraise in order to make Pulp Fiction however I read where he said he did like the finished product. Natural Born Killers I didn't care for, although I should give that a 2nd viewing.

I'm not too into this Manson idea, I don't like the thought of glorifying that. Imagine 20 years from now someone creates a movie about Columbine or Pulse Nightclub.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 111 

Re: Tarantino to write/direct Manson film

PaSnow wrote:

Didn't know he was planning on retiring, although I guess I can see it with his style & everything. His circulating cast of characters has gotten older too, he' doesn't seem one for millenials.

I really did like his style, and Pulp is one of my favorite movies too. I saw it in the theater, and it was pretty full that night so we went up to the 3rd row. I remember just being blown away by it all, plus the fact the characters all were so big (due to sitting so close) Travolta & Jackson looked like movie stars I'd never seen before it was just a surreal experience.

I didn't like the Hateful 8 either, way too long & just incessant dialogue. Really should've cut out about an hour from the cabin scene. True Romance is great, he wrote it but didn't direct it. He sold the script to fundraise in order to make Pulp Fiction however I read where he said he did like the finished product. Natural Born Killers I didn't care for, although I should give that a 2nd viewing.

I'm not too into this Manson idea, I don't like the thought of glorifying that. Imagine 20 years from now someone creates a movie about Columbine or Pulse Nightclub.


I see your point on glorifying Manson, but didn't he do a similar thing with Django?  I loved that movie, probably my 3rd favorite behind Reservoir Dogs.

PaSnow
 Rep: 199 

Re: Tarantino to write/direct Manson film

PaSnow wrote:

Was Django a true story?

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 111 

Re: Tarantino to write/direct Manson film

I read that the concept of Mandingo fighting is unconfirmed.  But it certainly captured the brutality of slavery.  I wasn't even alive when Sharon Tate was murdered.  So this story will have as much relevance to me as a story about an ex-slave shooting up a bunch of slave owners.

Re: Tarantino to write/direct Manson film

johndivney wrote:

Hateful 8 was a(nother) masterpiece.

monkeychow
 Rep: 634 

Re: Tarantino to write/direct Manson film

monkeychow wrote:

Tarantino has always said he'll retire after 10 films.

I don't have the quote handy - but to paraphrase from memory - the crux of his argument is that when he would look up the great auteur directors in film history - they would have a lifetime of classic movies - then the last few entries before their deaths would be shit work because they were too old or lost creativity - and in his mind this lowered the body of work as a whole.

So he always wanted to retire at the top of his game and just leave like 10 awesome films.

Mind you - he said it many years ago - so might get a bit keen as the 10th approaches - might end up coming out of retirement.

Also there's some dispute about what counts as the 10.

Officially this will be his 9th....but that counts Kill Bill as one movie, ignores the sequences he directed in Sin City and Four Rooms, also ignores movies he made that were lost in a fire - Love Birds In Bondage and My Best Friends Wedding, ignores his TV directing work on CSI and ER, and also movies he wrote but didn't direct such as From Dusk Til Dawn, True Romance and Natural Bornkillers.

monkeychow
 Rep: 634 

Re: Tarantino to write/direct Manson film

monkeychow wrote:

Mixed Views on him doing a Manson movie.

That was such a horrific incident that I worry between that and QT's love of sociopathic torture sequences it might become a distasteful movie easily.

Then again...it's hard to deny that the whole time period and the whole concept of the movie is very much his style!

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB