You are not logged in. Please register or login.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

Re: 5 year ago today

mitchejw wrote:

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

It's a shame he went to go do MMA and Trips did him dirty.

WWE is a snoozefest these days.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I've watched a few clips on youtube of recent wrestling and I don't see how anyone can watch that. Its so far removed from what wrestling was I cant comprehend it having a fan base.

dalethirsty
 Rep: 20 

dalethirsty wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I've watched a few clips on youtube of recent wrestling and I don't see how anyone can watch that. Its so far removed from what wrestling was I cant comprehend it having a fan base.

it's really hard, honestly.

i want to like modern-day wwe... i just can't; they make it way too hard on you.

they overload you with dozens of hours of regrettable filler content each week and expect you to get invested. after watching a 3 hour raw (and having a few beverages), i can't even really remember anything other than the main angles.

braun stroman and roman reigns are having a great feud, though, i gotta admit. samoa joe and lesnar are also killing it.

i'll tune in when those guys fight on ppvs, but smackdown is on right now and i'll be damned if i'm watching it.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
dalethirsty wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

it's really hard, honestly.

i want to like modern-day wwe... i just can't; they make it way too hard on you.

they overload you with dozens of hours of regrettable filler content each week and expect you to get invested. after watching a 3 hour raw (and having a few beverages), i can't even really remember anything other than the main angles.

braun stroman and roman reigns are having a great feud, though, i gotta admit. samoa joe and lesnar are also killing it.

i'll tune in when those guys fight on ppvs, but smackdown is on right now and i'll be damned if i'm watching it.

I don't understand the business model. Someone recently told me that they make all their money for the whole year off of wrestlemania...thus making at least 9 months of the year disposable fodder.

That, and the WWF/E becoming a publicly owned company...and all sorts of other things that make the motivations of the individual and the company so much different.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I miss the 80s wrestling but then i'm old!

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I too liked the 80s best.  However WCW had a great run in 99-2000 with the NWO invasion.  That was great to watch & I'm so glad I (luckily) tuned in for most of it. One of those things I didn't realize at the time but it was sorta history in the making. Like a great TV show (Married W Children, Wonder Years etc)

dalethirsty
 Rep: 20 

dalethirsty wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

I don't understand the business model. Someone recently told me that they make all their money for the whole year off of wrestlemania...thus making at least 9 months of the year disposable fodder.

That, and the WWF/E becoming a publicly owned company...and all sorts of other things that make the motivations of the individual and the company so much different.

vince is an idiot who is also a genius. in other words, a millionaire who should be a billionaire.

he'd rather feel like he's right than please the fans.

it's insane to me -- in no other medium do you get that constant level of honest feedback directly from your audience. every week, the fans scream at the top of their lungs about what they love and what they hate. all you have to do is work them a bit before giving them what they want.

instead, vince kicks us in the dick all year and then expects us to lose our shit when he throws us a bone. by then, we're already deflated.

all that said, i'll be at the wwe live event this saturday for the LAST EVER EVENT AT JOE LOUIS ARENA! pretty historical night w/ brock lesnar headlining. it's gonna be fuckin' great. no matter how shitty the product is, with enough beer, live wrestling is almost always fun.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I wasn't too fond of the Attitude era as it transpired but last year during my cancer scare I watched quite a bit of it thanks to youtube and had a new appreciation for it. Vince was ahead of the curve. Wrestling HAD to evolve. It was going to die. Kayfabe no longer possible at that point. The internet was killing house shows, taped programming, etc.

He took it in a more mature direction, the wink wink to the audience, and of course the Stone Cold character became a pop culture phenom and was able to push it with that.

The issue became what to do if/when that ran out of steam and once it did a few years later.....they did not have a genuine plan in place.

He never should've killed WCW. Should've run it as a minor league farm system and/or run it as an old school fed with a small dose of kayfabe.

IMO wrestling can never become the pop culture sensation that it was. Everyone knows its completely scripted, too much competition in this era fighting for the entertainment dollar, etc.

Board footer