You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Baz recalls Download 06

monkeychow wrote:

I don't see it as his pride I see it as something he had to do to survive.

People get mad if you say this, but it's obvious Axl has always suffered from some type of mental health issue. It's clear from most of his behaviours over the past 30 years. In particular it was very blatantly not managed during the UYI tour. He was having meltdowns all over the place. The public sometimes paints him as an asshole for this, but to me it seems like a guy with a mental problem who doesn't have the skills he needs to maintain control of himself.

The industry and everyone around him had also not been too much help because he was so talented and such a cash cow that you will put up with a bit of shit because it all balances out.

But mid UYI tour there was starting to be more shit than even he could get away with.

If he'd been the employee the band may have looked pretty seriously about options to replace him.

So he did what he had to do to stay in his place and that's be the boss.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I don't see it as his pride I see it as something he had to do to survive.

People get mad if you say this, but it's obvious Axl has always suffered from some type of mental health issue. It's clear from most of his behaviours over the past 30 years. In particular it was very blatantly not managed during the UYI tour. He was having meltdowns all over the place. The public sometimes paints him as an asshole for this, but to me it seems like a guy with a mental problem who doesn't have the skills he needs to maintain control of himself.

The industry and everyone around him had also not been too much help because he was so talented and such a cash cow that you will put up with a bit of shit because it all balances out.

But mid UYI tour there was starting to be more shit than even he could get away with.

If he'd been the employee the band may have looked pretty seriously about options to replace him.

So he did what he had to do to stay in his place and that's be the boss.

I get all that...and you're right. The luxury of 30 years of hindsight is what I have...

But you're telling me that in 1992 that public would accept an Axl-less GnR even with all the BS Axl brought? He was never in danger of being fired or replaced.

Axl was a god in 1992.

Clearly dynamics had changed already by then.

In terms of politics and power, Axl was far superior.

In terms of the integrity of their music, the formula acquired before appetite was and is still the holy grail.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

But you're telling me that in 1992 that public would accept an Axl-less GnR even with all the BS Axl brought? He was never in danger of being fired or replaced.

Axl was a god in 1992.

I'm not saying it would have worked 16

I don't think the public would have tolerated Axl being fired at all.

To an extent it would work - there would be some smaller interest maintained - consider how VR got some attention as a GNR/STP hybrid.

But the full blown legions would never accept Axl's departure in the same way they never really accepted Slash's departure.

There would be endless reunion calls.

But that said...I can imagine if things had gone a little different...if the others had been clean...a united Slash/Izzy/Duff/Matt type early UYI era line up deciding Axl was late too often...and reaching out to Baz or Cornell or something...

It may not work...but when has that ever stopped anyone in GNR from doing something  14

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

It never would've happened. That's like saying Metallica would fire Hetfield or SG would dump Cornell. In some bands its simply not a real option....and GNR qualifies for that category. Fans would've instantly abandoned them...and the label would have too.

Look how well it worked for Motley Crue and they were losing relevancy even before pulling the plug on Vince.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Don't forget how close GNR got to imploding in the 1990s.

When they toured down here there was significant concern there would be a riot there were people protesting against even letting them come here.

Axl pushed things as far as he could get away with. But I think people would start to ask questions if it got too much worse.

Board footer