You are not logged in. Please register or login.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

Re: The Creative Crisis of Guns N' Roses

esoterica wrote:

I thought this was a good piece:

Westword, Kyle Harris wrote:

If Axl Rose pushed the boundaries of his music, the fifty-something lead singer of Guns N' Roses might be performing songs that are as pivotal today as the old songs were to kids growing up in the ‘80s and ‘90s.

But he doesn't. He’s still tossing around the mic and prancing up and down the stage, wearing a wide-brimmed hat over his bandanna, fetishizing a youth he has long left behind.

Source: http://www.westword.com/music/guns-n-ro … ie-9333771

I think that there's a certain irony in the fact that "Axl won the war" but now we're just living with a rehashed (albeit impressive) Use Your Illusion tour and lineup.

I don't criticize the boys for making their proverbial hay while the sun is shining, they're entitled to that of course, but Axl's motivation was always to take Guns N' Roses further, into the new millennium and beyond and I wish he would make good on that promise. 

Where do we go now?

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

Yeah this tour is like ugh?

It was great seeing Slash and Duff in Detroit with Axl.

I avoided the Ashba years (Ax lost me).

Just release new music already guys.

No need to overthink it.

But no need to make it just cock rock too.

Either get Lindsey Buckingham or Tom Petty to produce it.

Those guys are straight shooters.

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:

You pay too much heed to what "journalists" say.

Axl will release music on Axl time. He is who he is. He does whatever he wants, however he wants and whenever he wants. Nothing will change it.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:
Ragnar wrote:

Axl will release music on Axl time. He is who he is. He does whatever he wants, however he wants and whenever he wants. Nothing will change it.

definitely. but that time might also be as late as 250 years from now.

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:
zombux wrote:
Ragnar wrote:

definitely. but that time might also be as late as 250 years from now.

You`re too generous. I expect 300 years from now.

zelfitz
 Rep: 1 

zelfitz wrote:

These guys have done terrible things to their bodies. Chances that one of them strokes out before new music? 50%
Tick Tock.

That being said, the article's general thrust of "Axl should have just died 25 years ago" is unnecessary.

zombux

zombux wrote:

hmmm Duff is sober and doing a healthy lifestyle for maybe 20 years, so I guess his health is fine, all of the "new Guns" seem to be totally healthy as well, hard to say about Slash and Axl.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:
Ragnar wrote:

You pay too much heed to what "journalists" say.

An odd statement considering I don't think I've ever posted one before and just wrote a raving review of a near 20 year old song that critics and most of the fanbase panned.

Ragnar wrote:

History would dictate that would be when he needs the money or he can no longer delay.

dalethirsty
 Rep: 20 

dalethirsty wrote:

it really is a shame that during axl's creative prime, he channeled his energy into nonsense rather than music. instead of embarking guns on a multi-album journey through various sounds and styles, he was consumed with petty lawsuits, bogus mysticism and endless back & forth bullshit w/ slash & duff.

these days, what would axl even write about? the journey we went thru to release chinese democracy? imagine if the next album was focused around that.. it'd be perfect.

the best thing we could hope for is axl, slash and duff jumping back in the studio and just having fun. i'm not sure how they could even agree on a sound to explore on a new album. maybe they could just pick right back up where they left off in the mid 90s?

zombux

zombux wrote:

not sure if mid-90's is the right way to start, because all the clasical bands went to crap by that point. music was overran by grunge already, together with alternative rock and emerging nu-metal genre, also with extreme metal on the rise. this was the dominion of Marilyn Manson (and Antichrist Superstar was THE album of the late 90's). you can't just turn back to half 90's hard rock. you need to reinvent it and yourself as well. Axl seemed to know it and tried for a couple of years, until some idiot told him ChiDem is shitty about 5 minutes before it went to release, shit hit the fan and everything went down the toilet.

Board footer