You are not logged in. Please register or login.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

Re: The Creative Crisis of Guns N' Roses

esoterica wrote:

Thread point, meet case:

Blabbermouth wrote:

In celebration of the thirtieth anniversary of their ground-breaking debut album, "Appetite For Destruction", GUNS N' ROSES has announced "Guns N' Roses Was Here", an exclusive retail event in partnership with Maxfield and Bravado that will live in the famed Los Angeles boutique August 11-18.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/guns-n … -maxfield/

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

Do you guys actually expect this lineup to record new, relevant music together? I have a bridge to sell you...

honestly? no. maybe a song or two, likely some cover or re-recording of some old hit, nothing really "new". I've seen this lineup as a pure nostalgia act since the first day the "reunion" was announced, and they haven't convinced me wrong. yet?

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Depends what you call relevant.

I believe they could make an album similar to Rock or Bust.

IE: Sounds like classic GNR, sells well in rock circles, but of course it's not relevant in the world of pop acts and kardassians or poppy or whatever.

That said...seems the next move is Axl goes to Ac/Dc for 2-3 years. Slash will probably do another solo album with myles. So we might be waiting 5+ years more...and of course one day it all ends - how many years did they smoke for again?

esoterica

esoterica wrote:

Another point in case:

Harley Davidson wrote:

MILWAUKEE, AUG 8, 2017 – In honor of this century’s most anticipated and celebrated tour making its way back to the United States, Harley-Davidson is pleased to announce the launch of a special capsule collection, in conjunction with the Guns N’ Roses Not In This Lifetime Tour. 

Available in early August, the limited-edition line of men and women’s wear, created in partnership with Bravado International Group, Inc., will be sold exclusively at Harley-Davidson dealerships around the world.

http://blog.motorcycle.com/2017/08/08/m … ollection/

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

All the endorsements and sponsorships and licensing stuff would be easier to take if the band still made new music.

For instance you can buy Ac/Dc wine here, Ac/Dc toilet paper, hell I've seen clocks..just about anything....but I don't really mind because they put out new records every few years.

With GNR it's much harder...I mean you could say CD was only 10 years ago...but then considering most of it leaked years earlier...and that it was mostly written in the 1990s or whatever...in truth it's a very long time since they shared any creativity with us.

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:

Axl was crushed by the lukewarm reception Chinese Democracy received.

He has no motivation to release anything plus, there is less than zero chance he will write new material with Slash and Duff.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:
Ragnar wrote:

It was a non-repeatable event. He should be smart enough to realize that.

A marketing campaign, functional website, clear band member list, said member list spelled correctly, band photographs, social media, and more would've done wonders for it. It didn't need the world but it needed the basics, at least.

You get the impression Azoff tried to do his best, MySpace and whatnot, but was given the ball when the team had gotten too far behind in the game already well the 4th quarter.

Ragnar wrote:

He has no motivation to release anything

I'm inclined to agree but his comments at the China Exchange interview seem to suggest otherwise.

Has he talked that over with Slash and Duff? Has it been "decided upon"? Has he stopped thinking about it because all the sweet, sweet cash?

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:
Ragnar wrote:

It was a non-repeatable event. He should be smart enough to realize that.

A marketing campaign, functional website, clear band member list, said member list spelled correctly, band photographs, social media, and more would've done wonders for it. It didn't need the world but it needed the basics, at least.

You get the impression Azoff tried to do his best, MySpace and whatnot, but was given the ball when the team had gotten too far behind in the game already well the 4th quarter.

Ragnar wrote:

He has no motivation to release anything

I'm inclined to agree but his comments at the China Exchange interview seem to suggest otherwise.

Has he talked that over with Slash and Duff? Has it been "decided upon"? Has he stopped thinking about it because all the sweet, sweet cash?

He says many things but rarely delivers.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

All that stuff looks ten times worse in hindsight than it did back then...and we harped on it continuously back then.

I still cant believe there's not one single photograph of the 2000-02 lineups in existence. Just pure insanity. It really shows how it wasn't being taken seriously by any involved, top to bottom, even if just subconsciously.  The "new" GNR lineups that were supposed to do all this moving on never became a reality. It was just an idea...a concept....a "vision"....and it never truly went anywhere.

Yeah I know...they toured the world...he kicked ass....that's not the point.

It never existed. Hardcore fans knew of the Bucketnoses and Bumblearms but they didn't exist to the general public. People would just show up to hear some hits, go home, and never think about it again because everything stayed under the radar.

There were a few big moments. Rio....2002 VMAs....but it never went anywhere.

Then there was the album....which morphed into the secret that no one(generally speaking) cared about. It makes zero sense in hindsight to spend years acting like you're protecting the nuclear codes. I know they were having label issues. Well...speak up.

The whole thing was just run terribly. Last chance saloon was 2001-02.  It became a pop culture joke in 2003 and it had no chance of impact regardless of any fanboy pipe dreams of 2006 being when it would've made a big splash.

I remember the 2006 VMAs when he came out onstage. A tumbleweed rolled by and I heard a cricket chirp in the background.

As the years went on and we heard him comment a bit more on the project, it was negative. Why didn't anyone call HIM a hater or a whiner? 16 He was saying similar things that had been said on forums for years.

Now that the reunion is here and you see this machine running full throttle, it makes you realize that the CD era either should've been so much more....or should've never happened.

That Harley shirt up there? Zero chance it gets pulled last second like the Better Harley ad....

esoterica

esoterica wrote:

You're right about the 2006 VMA thing. It was pretty awkward and the only mention of the album was backstage which I think only aired on MTV2.

I largely agree about 2002 being the end point, especially considering time would show it'd alienate Buckethead and that a good chunk of the material would lose it's character and relevance the further you get from industrial/numetal rule. That said, the 2006 Tour effectively wiped all the bad memories of 2002 away. Axl shows up looking and sounding like a rockstar, George Chin is conveniently placed in the pit to snap a picture, and there are 3 killer tracks that fans can download off of the internet to get jacked about the record. And Izzy!

In the words of Chuck Klosterman, "Axl Rose never needed a face full of Botox or Vernon Reid's hair or five years in the deserts of Sedona. He just needed to try". And Axl Rose was finally trying.

I remember reading reviews of the leaks from people who didn't like Gn'R giving it a thumbs up. This isn't the far reaching promotion and one person's account is relative but it showed he was, at a time, actually relevant again and to the internet generation, no less. But Axl just couldn't get out of his own way. There was a 2.5 year gap (two-and-a-half-fuckin'-years!!) between the most pop-friendly songs being consumed by the general public and the album actually being released.

The wheels came off when you have your goof toadie roadie waxing poetic about the rawk and roll lifestyle and filibustering about Bumblefoot and Frank lending their talents to songs written a decade prior. And everyone who reads Rolling Stone knew that the band was happy with the Andy Wallace mixes, so much so that the album was played in full at a Spectre-tier mystery party at Dr. Axl's hide-a-way mansion.

To contradict myself, the true last chance saloon was Axl promising up-and-down throughout 2006 that was that the year and then failing to deliver the goods. For another year and a half. Then the real joke began...

James Lofton wrote:

That Harley shirt up there? Zero chance it gets pulled last second like the Better Harley ad....

It seemed another example of Axl getting cold feet when it came time to deliver.

Board footer