You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Re: The Creative Crisis of Guns N' Roses

Ragnar wrote:

I assume he will have no involvement in songwriting.

Most likely, he will only sing 12 generic songs Angus will write. Not very exciting.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

What worries me is Axl's awesome Ac/Dc scream that wet all our pants was his interpretation of Brian's Voice....when he does Bon songs I noticed he uses significantly less rasp (fair enough as Bon was more clean by comparison to Brian)

....but we know Bon is Axl's idol not Brian...which worries me that he might drop a Bon-esque Mickey Ac/Dc Album rather than a Brian-Style Axl scream, album...

It's really going to be a moment for me....if Axl does a scream heavy Ac/Dc album it will be amongst the coolest stuff I can imagine these days...but if he drops a mickey style record on Ac/Dc that will kill whatever is left of my fandom hahahah

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

Fair point, Monkey, but it also has a lot to do with what the boss wants. Axl will be on his best behavior, and Angus might appreciate a progression from Brian and utilizing those killer screams.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

hmm speaking of Mickey, I think it's the second reason why we're in shit. 1) Axl's unability to get anything done (unless someone else is 100% in charge, like Angus in Axl/DC), and 2) Axl's voice has gone in the poo-poo during the last 10 years. remember those mighty live shows during 2006-7 tour? well, they're history, altough there were some flashes of rasp in the 2009-10 legs, for example TWAT from Tokyo 2009 or Estranged don't-remember-what-show-that-was.
anyway - for me, there are two reasons why I don't give a damn about this era of the band - 1) I want new material, not a nostalgia sellout act, 2) I can't stand the voice, which is extremely bad during all the bootlegs I listened to (the rest of the band is perfect, and it has always been perfect since 2006, no matter who was in the band at the moment). the vocals just hurt me A LOT, it's like a day and night compared to pre-2009 bootlegs, yeah, probably also including 2001-2 era, which was... kind of special... but helium >>> Mickey anyway wink

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

It's not even Mickey that kills my enthusiasm, it's his side-mouthed warble.

zombux

zombux wrote:

not sure how this fits in the general picture, or if it fits at all.
what the hell was Axl doing during the time BH left? I (a bit) feel that the only thing he did was narrating a DJ in GTA San Andreas and it's kind of forgotten episode of the ChiDem era, because even Chinese Whispers doesn't mention this escapade (or I'm stupid, which is possible).
I mean, how the hell did this thing even happen, then went on and got totally forgotten again?
lol, Axl as some random guy who gives his voice to a virtual DJ in a videogame.
and now, he gave his voice to a nostalgia band.
funny, eh?

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

The record was supposed to come out in November 2004. The start of the promo push.

The broad strokes would be that he had long fancied New York City and was there on official business as Geffen started to fold into Sanctuary and UMG. Sanctuary and Merck were bankrolling the project, Axl was there making contacts, diversifying his network, and recording the album. He was also holding rehearsals for Buckethead's replacement and Bumble partially joined the fray at that time.

The Rockstar Games guys are huge music fans (they started out as music industry interns) in particular rock n' roll and 80s metal, as the name of the company would imply. It's not beyond the pale to suggest their deep connections let them know that Axl Rose was in New York City recording Chinese Democracy. A natural interest grew. Axl would've heard of the games. A feeling out process, the guys past the purity test, and then the big ask: Hey Axl, Do you want to be in our game?

It wouldn't be unfair to suggest after failing to pull the trigger, he turtled for a year before resurfacing in February 2006 back home in LA.

zombux

zombux wrote:

yup. Bumble almost joined during that era, but still Axl expected Bucket to return until the very latest point in 2006 when the tour was booked and starting, then Bumble was invited again (much to some discomfort of the rest of the band who didn't want him in the band at all). crazy shit, considering it's 2017 now, ChiDem is forgotten and nobody except nerds like us cares about it, and nearly all the guys who were in the band during that time are long gone.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

The mistake to me wasn't bringing in bumble as a third guy - it was not getting Rid of Robin. He played shockingly bad versions in 2002 - by 2006 he was better but still not at all inspiring. Then we finally left they shouldn't have got DJ. They should have had bumble and Richard do his parts. I always felt Bumble/Buceket had it rough as they were the most players in the group in their respective times but forced to stand around most of the time listening to Robin/DJ...and then occasionally they get a quick 10 second phrase...

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Like Bill Clinton, I will agree and disagree with that. Not sure about firing Robin but the 3 guitarist lineup needed to be ditched...meaning someone has got to go. We found out from Finck that the 3 guitar attack was not some grand vision like some fans claimed....it all happened because Finck came back two seconds before midnight in 2000 and Axl didn't want to fire any of them. It didn't work. It was too much. Nothing in the discography(including CD) required three guitarists. Nothing required two keyboard players either. If we could go back in time, I'd suggest streamlining that 2006 lineup for the comeback attempt.

Axl
Stinson
Bucket or Bumble
Finck or Fortus
Pitman or Dizzy
Brain

That's all it needed. You're right...Bucket spent more time dancing than he did playing and he's the most talented guy on stage not named Axl Rose. Fortus was just strumming most of the time and sometimes he wasn't even plugged in.

Board footer