You are not logged in. Please register or login.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

Re: Hurricane Irma

PaSnow wrote:

I just wanna keep this thread seperate from the politics thread, both in the anticipation and post cleanup (and yes, any governmental decisions, funding amounts etc).

This thing looks like it too can be nasty. Imho I don't think as demonstrative as Harvey as a whole, but I'm not sure alot of Miami was properly built for hurricaines, and that sounds so wierd to say. I just don't think high rise condominiums was not too good an idea, no matter what the architects are paid & saying. (If you doubt me & think they're the experts well they can be wrong. There's a high rise in San Francisco that's sinking, Google it). I saw on the news there's a crane on top of a high rise, and they're leaving it up there. The architect interviewed said it'll be fine.  That things gonna get torn down in a heartbeat. Plus, Florida as a state is so flat and soo much coastline it'll be brutal. Harvey did its damage by staying overland for 8 days, this will just be quick & vicious, but might leave its own legacy. Its gonna be lawsuits galore & I wonder how insurance companies will handle it. I know flood is a seperate insurance, do peoples policies down there cover hurricanes?  If not a large part of Floridians could become broke & homeless.

Key West will be interesting to keep an eye on. EVERYBODY there needs to evacuate. I have a feeling it might go under, or the bridges to there will go down & people will be isolated needing helicopter rescue once its all said & done.

Are any posters in Florida?  I thought one of you was in the Jax area, myb I'm thinking of SG in Bama.  If anyone is down there or has family I wish you well.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

What lawsuits do you think will come from this?  I understand we live in a litigious society where people sue McDonalds for making them fat, but if you live on the coast, hurricanes are an annual reality and risk.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

I guess I meant more 'Insurance claims', than lawsuits. Although typically when an insurance company doesn't pay out, hiding behind a loophole or clause, it results in a lawsuit. For instance a roof is torn off from the hurricaine, resulting in water damage, the insurer might say it doesn't cover 'flood damage' and say its a result of a flood. Or with condo's, they may find fault in the architecture of the building and a clause in the policy removes them from cases of bad design or structure, passing blame onto the architecture firms insurance.

Or something like that, you get what I'm saying. If there's a few yeah that'll happen. But what if there's tens of thousands.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

It looks like worst case scenario(complete destruction) might be avoided as its starting to turn a bit. Its also slowing down.

It was originally a monster from hell and if it doesn't take everything out,  FLA better consider it a warning and a wake up call.

I just checked the latest info(it changes every few minutes) and it looks like its going to skim the coast before hitting SC....at 85 miles an hour.

That's about as good as this could possibly get.

Still scary shit though.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

Gotcha. I thought I saw Puerto Rico & Dominican was something like 160mph which is brutal, but if its slowing down/turning its for the best obviously. I still think Key West ppl need to leave, I've never been there (would like to) but I would guess its just a flat island, which could easily get covered up by oceanwater.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought I read Putin launched chemicals in the air over Moscow to alter weather for a parade. I wonder if that's something that could be researched to mitigate hurricanes or other extreme weather.

James

James wrote:

We're actually lucky it hit those islands because that helped slow it down.  I saw video of that and I dont know if Florida can withstand a monster of such magnitude.

Maybe Trump should stand on the beach and blow in Irma's direction....

James

James wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought I read Putin launched chemicals in the air over Moscow to alter weather for a parade. I wonder if that's something that could be researched to mitigate hurricanes or other extreme weather.

Good idea.

Maybe my old idea to drop bombs in the eye of hurricanes will finally catch on.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

There was talk China was looking into controlling the wind or weather for the 08 Olympics. Kindof a rumor but I think smog was blowing into the cities/stadiums they were held at, and they were supposedly attempting to change wind patterns.

In all honestly, "weather control" might be something of the 200 year future or something. Not all that un-realistic.  Far fetched now yeah, but maybe not centuries away. I don't think stopping a hurricaine or blizzard altogether, but maybe altering course or spreading out the damage to water it down so to speak.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

This article has a pic of one of the cranes, fwiw.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/huge-constru … 25780.html

Board footer