You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Rock In Rio 2017 | Sept 23

James wrote:

Or it could be a shuffled setlist.

Serious question....

Are set list criticisms genuinely valid at this point? In the CD era it was understandable. Now....what more can they do? I'd love to hear The Garden or Izzy come out for Dust N Bones but excluding that alternate universe, I think we're dealing with best case scenario here.

In hindsight, maybe they shouldn't have been so ambitious with the setlists when the reunion started. Coma...Estranged....DTJ....it was a fan's wet dream...until it wasn't.

Maybe if they do a more stripped down tour we could see more rotations but even then, I doubt the change would even be noticeable to a casual audience.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

that is very valid thinking, JL. something that would be more in the spirit of their 80's setlists might be the only way to improve the shows at this point. I'm just quite sure they won't do this - this spectacle means more $$$.
btw, there was that Up Close and Personal Tour, that one had a bit stripped down production I guess... but I wasn't following the band during that era so I'm not sure how much that differed from the previous and following tours.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

I think the Skin and Bones leg of the UYI tour was a similar idea. Stripped back and more deep cuts. However for the type of tour this is I'm not sure it's really suited. I say that in the sense that none of us really know what this tour is, a comeback, a one off, a goodbye? Not sure the band even knows yet so a GH plus well known deep cuts setlist makes most sense, covers most bases and pleases most people.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I don't think the setlist is really much of a problem.

The problem is the mistakes and the timing issues and Axl's voice.

Have a listen to the show yesterday - they're seriously playing the wrong backing chords under the solos and stuff at times.

I was honestly shocked.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Wagszilla wrote:

It's understandable to have lowered expectations. They're older. Father Time remains undefeated.

But at some point, fans expect a little something something. A little wind in the sails.

That could be a killer performance. Even New GNR haters can admit the Rock Am Ring and Download shows were pretty darn good. Or it could be a shuffled setlist. Or remixing the style of the songs. But the same show at a big venue after a 2+ week delay is again, just lowest hanging fruit of the tree.

I'm sure the Brazil fans had a good time though.

It'll be interesting to see how the US tour sells.

Thing is, they are shuffling the setlist. Trouble is, they're just adding more tribute covers in response to rock star deaths. We've now got:
Live and Let Die
Attitude/New Rose
Johnny B Goode instrumental
Wichita Lineman, which against all sense and reason seems to have become a setlist staple now.
Wish You Were Here instrumental
Layla instrumental
Black Hole Sun
Knockin' on Heaven's Door
Whole Lotta Rosie
The Seeker

This is getting fucking ridiculous, especially when they have songs like I.R.S., Breakdown, Perfect Crime and Don't Damn Me sitting there gathering dust.

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:

2, 2 and a half hour stripped down gigs would be much better than 3+ hours of mostly covers and extended jams.

Ten covers sometimes more per show is both propostereous and ridiculous.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Serious question....

Yes and no.

The setlist changing gives the impression of life and vibrancy.

The Stones put on one of the best shows. When I saw them in 2005, it was 20% their new album. Old Keef even got two songs on vocals. Their show is usually the core of the hits, some deep cuts, and some new stuff. The opener and closer were constantly changing throughout the tour.

I don't think people would choose to hear A Bigger Bang over Exile On Main St or "Bitch" over "Wild Horses" or whatever but again it keeps it fresh and special. I got to see Riad in 2002 and random fans still go "aww, lucky!" every time I tell em. The more rare Chinese songs performed a similar function last year.

I think the whole band is just a little long in the tooth.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Wagszilla wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Serious question....

Yes and no.

The setlist changing gives the impression of life and vibrancy.

The Stones put on one of the best shows. When I saw them in 2005, it was 20% their new album. Old Keef even got two songs on vocals. Their show is usually the core of the hits, some deep cuts, and some new stuff. The opener and closer were constantly changing throughout the tour.

I don't think people would choose to hear A Bigger Bang over Exile On Main St or "Bitch" over "Wild Horses" or whatever but again it keeps it fresh and special. I got to see Riad in 2002 and random fans still go "aww, lucky!" every time I tell em. The more rare Chinese songs performed a similar function last year.

I think the whole band is just a little long in the tooth.

Hardly; there's plenty of life in them yet, they just don't seem particularly fussed about reworking the setlist. It's beyond daft that there are – counting instrumental versions – ten covers in the setlist, and yet they won't play fucking Perfect Crime despite it being on the alt-list for almost a decade. Or Slither, which would at least have been interesting. I appreciate that they want to pay tribute to the musicians who've passed – and, given their personal connections with Chris Cornell, I completely understand why Black Hole Sun is now a fixture on the setlist – but if Cornell is worthy of a tribute then surely Scott Weiland rates a cover of Slither, which two of the current band actually recorded and which we know was on the alt-list.

Also, Wichita Lineman is now a setlist staple? Really? Never mind Chinese Democracy tracks, there are songs from the Illusions days that have never been played live (looking at you, Don't Damn Me), and we're getting that? Also, the fact that the boomer generation isn't getting any younger suggests that GN'R is going to keep adding tribute cover versions that then never leave the setlist...

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

the problem is just maybe, that if you ask the casuals about GNR, trust me, by far most of them say... ohhh... yes, that's the band that plays KOHD! and maybe LALD. fucked up.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

This thread just proves some people will never be happy. Your favorite band reunites, goes on a world tour, and people still find reasons to be unhappy. I’ll be seeing them in a few weeks and will enjoy every minute.  But I don’t watch every show on YouTube.

Board footer