You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Re: Reckless Road

Saikin wrote:

Anyone else buy this book?

If you haven't already bought it, or haven't heard of it, i reccommend you buy it as soon as you can.  This is a wonderful book on GNR, straight back to the early roots in '85 right up until AFD in '87.  Tons of unseen photos, including pictures of Slash in 6th grade, his first bands, as well as Axl, Steven and Duff's first bands.  This guy did a great job putting together this to really give you a feel for what it was like for these guys.

And it's interesting to see that Axl really was a pompous ass before he had any success.  During one concert as Hollywood Rose, Izzy's band London was opening for them, and Axl tore up a banner for London on stage.  16

Oh man that's fucked up.   What did Izzy do?   I'll get the book but do tell what Izzy did smile

briggsy
 Rep: 19 

briggsy wrote:

I got the book, but haven't had a lot of time to read any of it yet other than just a quick skim
I must say though it looks amazing and I can't wait to read it.

One part I did read though was on the recording of Rocket Queen

"After the whole ordeal, Axl took me upstairs to his hotel room where we were staying and he played me November Rain for the first time on a piano. He told me that it was something that he wrote when he was fifteen. And it was the most beatiful thing I had ever heard. It was awsome."
- Adriana Durgan [The Rocket Queen]

I thought that was pretty cool that he was so obsessed with the song even back then, also refering to another part I saw somewhere in the book about how he snuck into an auditorium to play some chick the song as well tongue

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

NY Giants82 wrote:

I gotta get it soon. Can you get it at amazon?

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
briggsy wrote:

I got the book, but haven't had a lot of time to read any of it yet other than just a quick skim
I must say though it looks amazing and I can't wait to read it.

One part I did read though was on the recording of Rocket Queen

"After the whole ordeal, Axl took me upstairs to his hotel room where we were staying and he played me November Rain for the first time on a piano. He told me that it was something that he wrote when he was fifteen. And it was the most beatiful thing I had ever heard. It was awsome."
- Adriana Durgan [The Rocket Queen]

I thought that was pretty cool that he was so obsessed with the song even back then, also refering to another part I saw somewhere in the book about how he snuck into an auditorium to play some chick the song as well tongue

He wrote NR at 15, felt it wasn't ready for AFD in 1986, and finally released it in 1991?  Maybe what we're experiencing now isn't really out of the ordinary for him?

Saikin

Saikin wrote:
DoubleTalkingJive wrote:

Oh man that's fucked up.   What did Izzy do?   I'll get the book but do tell what Izzy did smile

Nothing.  He wasn't happy about it but he left London soon after that, so i'm guessing he pretty much thought Axl was right.

Saikin

Saikin wrote:
NY Giants82 wrote:

I gotta get it soon. Can you get it at amazon?

You'd have to check, but i'm really not sure.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

He wrote NR at 15, felt it wasn't ready for AFD in 1986, and finally released it in 1991?  Maybe what we're experiencing now isn't really out of the ordinary for him?

Good point, and in hindsight, what we are dealing with isn't really that shocking. I could never find the quote, but I remember in one of the old magazines in the heyday Axl was talking about the Illusion material before it was released. He said how he had Don't Cry and November Rain back in the AFD period. He didn't feel the songs were ready and the world wasn't ready, so they didn't make it on AFD. In his words, "the weaker of the three", SCOM, made the album instead.

Also, his lofty goals that could never be met(ala the "trilogy" in 2002) has its roots from the old band. Back in 1988, Axl said he wanted to release 5 albums in a 2 year period. Obviously this never happened.

Its like he gets these grandiose visions in his mind, but the way he approaches his art always goes into direct conflict with the actual vision itself.

I'm not trying to justify the wait as its way past the point of absurdity. However, when looking at his past you can sort of understand the bizarre route his career has taken.

Never forget, internal pressure from his old bandmates, record label, and fans caused him to release UYI "prematurely", and they had been working on that album about two years. He said in the late 90's he would never let that happen again. He obviously wasn't lying.:haha:

BurningHills
 Rep: 15 

BurningHills wrote:

How is the bonus audio/video material that you get with the book? Any full songs, or just bullshit short clips?

Saikin

Saikin wrote:
BurningHills wrote:

How is the bonus audio/video material that you get with the book? Any full songs, or just bullshit short clips?

I haven't heard a damn thing about that.  I thought i would get more buying it online, because that's what they said, but i have so far got nothing.

Board footer