You are not logged in. Please register or login.

auad
 Rep: 3 

Re: Appetite for Democracy

auad wrote:

I found this review of the dvd appetite for democracy, and I agree with the review.
excellent work the band did on that product. I recommend

here's the review:

By now Guns N' Roses fans are used to waiting. The number of years it took GNR front man Axl Rose to finish 2008's Chinese Democracy, the band's latest, is debatable. What's not debatable is that prior to the release of Chinese Democracy GNR had not put out any new original music for 17-years, since the Use Your Illusion albums. And it boggles the mind to think that Appetite for Democracy is the band's first live concert film in 22-years. The upside is that Appetite for Democracy is so good that fans will probably never have to wait for another concert film; this is the definitive performance right here.
First, and always a question with Guns N' Roses, the line-up. Backing Axl are three stellar guitarists, DJ Ashba, Richard Fortus and Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal, keyboards player Dizzy Reed, bassist Tommy Stinson, keyboards player Chris Pitman and drummer Frank Ferrer. Those out front have their rock 'n' roll posturing down pat; the four ax men mug and pout and often join Rose in wildly strutting the stage, never missing a single fiery lick while wielding their guitars like the objects of adoration that they've become. The show opens on a powerful note with "Chinese Democracy" followed by three biggies from Appetite for Destruction, "Welcome to the Jungle," "It's So Easy" and "Mr. Brownstone" before moving into Use Your Illusion II's lengthiest cut, "Estranged." There's no stage patter and there's never a lull in the show as laser lighting, flash pots and three scantily-clad ladies dancing and performing on stripper poles add eye candy to the band's highly-polished sound.

As the film's title indicates with its combination of the album titles Appetite for Destruction and Chinese Democracy, fully half of the 25-song set list comes from those albums. And there are surprises; a take on the lesser-played "Rocket Queen," a cover of Pink Floyd's "Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2," bass man Stinson leading the Axl-less band through the Stooges-like "Motivation" from his Village Gorilla Head solo album, Bumblefoot playing "Objectify" from his solo album and a super hot solo from Ashba leading into "Sweet Child O'Mine." Another highlight, and one that is not given credit in the set list, is a Dizzy Reed piano solo that evolves into a cover of Led Zeppelin's "No Quarter." Another treat is a roaring cover of the Who's "The Seeker" with Rose sounding positively Daltrey-esque.

The show's quieter moments, like during Chinese Democracy's "Catcher in the Rye" and "Street of Dreams," are also stunning. But the most spectacular of the more subdued moments comes during "November Rain" with Rose crooning and playing piano aboard a circular rig that, suspended from the ceiling by cables, "floats" him right out over the audience. "Used to Love Her" and "Patience" from the Lies album are end of show high points bookended by manic takes on "Nightrain" and a 10-minute jam on the show-closing "Paradise City" that comes complete with an enormous confetti explosion and a light show that's the most frenetic of the evening.

The combination of excellent musicianship, mesmerizing rock 'n' roll stage presence and superior film work make this show practically jump right into your lap anyway, but Appetite for Democracy can be viewed in 3D for those with the proper gear. The phrase "worth the wait" hardly does this show justice.

http://www.antimusic.com/reviews/14/Gun … 7HLn5RdXHS

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

It was a cool concert. Still hoping we get something from Not in this lifetime.

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

This was a fucking garbage concert.

A garbage era of the band.

And shit at its finest.

This is had to be the lowest point ever.

DJ Ashba was the worst guitarist in the band. A poser and a fucking douche.

When he joined the band I checked out. And rightfully so.

So fuck this concert, and tacky as fuck DVD name and tour.

Fuck the Ashba era.

It's like that terrible Seymour Skinner episode where he is an impostor. That the fans hated. This describes what that era felt like. Dear God.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

My issue with the concert is that vocally it's not one of Axl's best nights.

Like most of the 2009 and 2010 shows (which had the same line up and many of which were proshot) he was amazing.

So why release that one?

auad

auad wrote:
TheSundanceKid wrote:

This was a fucking garbage concert.

A garbage era of the band.

And shit at its finest.

When he joined the band I checked out. And rightfully so.

Fuck the Ashba era.

It's like that terrible Seymour Skinner episode where he is an impostor. That the fans hated. This describes what that era felt like. Dear God.

Hello.
allow me respectfully disagree with you on some points ...

I do not agree that the shows on that stage were "junk". there were several very interesting performances in that moment of the band, and speaking in a realistic way ... is there so many changes from this phase to the present? I do not believe that. It's the same show. what has changed is the presence of Duff's and his unquestionable charisma ... Slash does not present major executions ...

Ashba, the worst? Musicians, like people in general, are "different" from each other, neither worse nor better. I consider him to be a great guitar player, with a great stage presence, and in my opinion he fit well with the GNR proposal, much more than Finck, for example.

This DVD is awesome. who does not have the original could evaluate to acquire, especially in the package with cd.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:
TheSundanceKid wrote:

Fuck the Ashba era.

Although I ejoyed the 2010 concert I've been to, 2012-2014 were the worst years in GNR as far as touring goes.

And I second all those fucks.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

this release is not amongst my favourites, but it's not a tragedy either. the beginning of the show is actually quite strong, just later it gets meh. no need to bash Ashba, he was doing his best during his stint. and remember he was probably the only guy in GNR, who never got to record and release anything with the band, at least amongst those who lasted more than a month or so. even Mr. Gilby Clarke got his chance to carve something in stone at The Spaghetti Incident. remember that Axl RIR3 quote? it's always hard to ask a musician to play stuff created by other musicians. and in Ashba's case, it was extremely similar situation to earlier years, when Robin Finck was forced to play Slash's stuff, and that really couldn't click in. and later he got to play his own creations and was absolutely shining. so don't bash Ashba, better go check the first Beautiful Creatures album or the first Sixx:A.M. album - both of those have Ashba prominently on lead guitar and that's where he is at his best.

auad

auad wrote:
zombux wrote:

this release is not amongst my favourites, but it's not a tragedy either. the beginning of the show is actually quite strong, just later it gets meh. no need to bash Ashba, he was doing his best during his stint. and remember he was probably the only guy in GNR, who never got to record and release anything with the band, at least amongst those who lasted more than a month or so. even Mr. Gilby Clarke got his chance to carve something in stone at The Spaghetti Incident. remember that Axl RIR3 quote? it's always hard to ask a musician to play stuff created by other musicians. and in Ashba's case, it was extremely similar situation to earlier years, when Robin Finck was forced to play Slash's stuff, and that really couldn't click in. and later he got to play his own creations and was absolutely shining. so don't bash Ashba, better go check the first Beautiful Creatures album or the first Sixx:A.M. album - both of those have Ashba prominently on lead guitar and that's where he is at his best.

this

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Really my only issue is how many better shows there are to release.

Like - Rock Am Ring 2006 blows this show away - although I guess they wanted the current line up - but even then something like Tokyo 2009 was a much stronger vocal performance than this dvd. I even think the london 2012 stuff is probably stronger from memory.

It's just a bit frustrating to me. Like I wanted a DVD that showcased the incredible ability GNR had at that time.

I know when i watch this disc I tend not to get though the whole thing but swap to another show as there's just so many other Nu GNR shows that were better - and that's only based on what we have available - I can only dream of what must be in the vault if they proshoot most things.

johndivney wrote:

Tried watching it once, gave up immediately.

Board footer