You are not logged in. Please register or login.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

Re: GNR.FM | Destruction Is Coming

jimmythegent wrote:

Love Shadow - brilliant production and vibe. Sure sounds like re-recorded vocals and lead guitar to me. Wonder if that can be conclusively determined ?

As to the omission of OIAM - understand completely. It’s a brilliant song and I agree, one of the bands and in particular Axl’s greatest performances. But it would be absolutely insane to open that can of worms in this current politically and racially charged climate.

GN’R are riding an unparalleled wave of general fondness and goodwill from the public right now (are they once again the worlds favourite band?) - that would likely put an end to that in one fell swoop.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
kermit the Trump wrote:

How about this....

Patience
Used To Love Her
You're Crazy
Cornchucker
Jumping Jack Flash
One In A Million
new song

Yes!!

Also, that Ritz show was so important to GNR at that moment, so I love they're including some of it with the set. It would have been mind blowing to include it on LIES. Cornchucker was so freaking good. It's funny, I always thought it would be cool if Whole Lot Of Rosie was next to Mama Kin.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

I’ve never understood the love for Cornchucker, dumb lyrics, not much there musically either.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

I’ve never understood the love for Cornchucker, dumb lyrics, not much there musically either.

It is funny. You get to hear Duff. It is a fun song to me. Not serious.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

Not a fan of Cornshucker.
Puerile lyrics and Duff sounding like a drunken sailor on vocals - not GN’R worthy for me

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
jimmythegent wrote:

Love Shadow - brilliant production and vibe. Sure sounds like re-recorded vocals and lead guitar to me. Wonder if that can be conclusively determined ?

I think it's just a different/better mix of the song....at most it is just a different take than we're accustomed to hearing.

If he worked on some vocals to include in this box set, I'm hoping he worked on a different vault as well. 16

Not a fan of Cornshucker.
Puerile lyrics and Duff sounding like a drunken sailor on vocals - not GN’R worthy for me

To me its like a sequel/flip side of the coin to Used To Love Her. Never meant to be serious and recorded during the sessions of a 4 track side, much needed IMO.

Its lyrical content may be why it was excluded. With UTLH, OIAM, and the re-recorded You're Crazy, there's simply too much controversy with the lone hit Patience sticking out like a sore thumb.

Yes!!

Also, that Ritz show was so important to GNR at that moment, so I love they're including some of it with the set. It would have been mind blowing to include it on LIES. Cornchucker was so freaking good. It's funny, I always thought it would be cool if Whole Lot Of Rosie was next to Mama Kin.

We're looking at it in a different but the same way. You think Lies as a whole should've been expanded into a full length LP. I think the acoustic side should've been expanded and the LLAS side ditched. Release Patience as a single and have Reckless Life and Nice Boys as B sides, release 2nd single with Move to the City and Mama Kin as B sides.

There wasn't much thought put into Lies, especially from Geffen's POV. Patience was pushed hard and then after that they went back to promoting AFD! 1989 saw PC getting its final massive push, KOHD pulled from Ritz and turning it into a video, and Nightrain pushed on radio. After Lies was briefly in the top 5 with AFD and dropped down while AFD stayed high, its abandoned.

Has this ever happened to anyone else in the history of music?

Also, that Ritz show was so important to GNR at that moment,

Indeed it was. 30 years later and its still shocking that it was never released. They left millions on the table.

The moment to release it wasn't in 88-89 when it was in constant rotation. The moment to release it was in 1990 when they found out how starved the world still was for GNR after the Farm Aid performance, KOHD soundtrack, and Civil War on the charity album. People couldn't get enough of them. This is also the period where tons of rock bands (Crue, Slaughter, Warrant, etc.) were releasing VHS tapes. GNR were the noticeable holdout.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

One other thing about 1990.....

MTV Unplugged is getting underway. Its not yet trendy and is in need of a major act putting it on the map.  While GNR's lineup was temporarily in flux, once the UYI lineup was solidified, I wish they would've appeared on Unplugged to pop the cherry on that lineup and even test out some new material/perform obscure covers.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
kermit the Trump wrote:

No Cornchucker, even for those with the box to match.

That will be saved for.....

http://www.gnrevolution.com/albums/new/3357.jpg

They have very little to work with when it comes to that album. Basically just a few alt demos, Cornchucker, and a few live performances.

Don't Cry was also around in the Appetite era.

I just realized that wasn't included. iNteresting.

Not a fucking chance in hell that happens. That ship has officially sailed with this AFD: SDE release. Like I alluded to earlier before the reveal, more than likely the bonuses would be GN'R Lies, minus OIAM. And that's basically what they're doing. I can't imagine them going back and double-dipping, unless they re-release Lies as a one-disc set, with re-mastered tracks, next year or the year after, for those who didn't buy the Super Deluxe Edition. Still don't see it happen, because... well... that would make sense, and this is GN'R. So there's a correction factor in play here. This is probably the ONLY GN'R release we'll see for years until they decide to touch Use Your Illusion in five years, or do something completely un-expected, and actually *gasp* -- record new music.

They're going the other direction. This AFD re-release will be an all-incompassing chronicle of the AFD-era and it's lineup of the classic 5. Next up... Use Your Illusion. Imho... Lies won't see a re-release. One In A Million will go the way of being that 'lost track' that diehard fans love, but never see the day again, like Ratt's "Givin' Yourself Away" or Poison's "So Tell Me Why". Those kinda tracks.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Friday today saw the release of...

A new Guns N' Roses single

A new Alice In Chains single

Hot damn. Is it Christmas day?

In 1992? 16 9 22

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
bigbri wrote:

So what's the verdict on this Shadow of Your Love?

New guitars? Definitely different version of guitars, if not new.

Vocals? Probably old pro-tooled vocals.

Personally I think the guitars are completely re-done. That sounds like Slash's modern-era tone, and the mix makes an explicit point to really prop up the guitar intro. I think they're new, plus the new solo.

Axl's vocals sound sweetened. I think they are mostly re-mastered original mix, but the finishes sound sweetened, specifically the outro. I would not be shocked if he backed his old vocal with new vocals in a higher pitch, lower, backing it ala Def Leppard-layering. The outro really sounds like Axl might've went in-studio and did some yelps and 'agghs' to emphasize everything and really make it pop. That's my opinion.

I also heard some harmonies buried in the mix which made me wonder if Melissa wasn't in there somewhere, again, sweetening the final product.

But maybe... it's just 1986-87 version really REALLY re-mastered from a different take no one has ever heard. Rhythm, Bass & Drums all sound like Izzy, Duff & Steven, with again some tinkering. The sound of those has that old 80s, beautiful masterpiece AFD-sound that gets all of us erect. I highly doubt those have been messed with.

The song really sounds amazing. Not only is it the best mix of Shadow of Your Love ever heard, it INSTANTLY smokes ANYTHING that was mixed on Chinese Democracy, which is a newer  recording than Shadow. It's so well done... it might be one of the better rock mixes have heard in YEARS. Absolutely amazing. It feels like a new AFD song we've never heard (even though we have).

The good thing for me, is i've never been big on demos and unreleased bootlegs n' shit. I like to wait until official releases. So most, if not all of this stuff, we'll be like a fresh listen/new GN'R music for me. Many tracks listed on the upcoming set, I had actually forgotton about.

Board footer