You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Guns N' Roses & related STUDIO SESSIONS - a definitive collection (?)

James wrote:
zombux wrote:
AndreCC wrote:

There's the QSound and Rough Mixes

as I said above, there's much similar stuff like that. but there's no point of including such stuff. not even the "hardcorest" fans won't masturbate over 10 mixes of the very same take of the very same song, while each mix is like "here's 10% louder guitar", "in this one there's a bit more drums", etc. that's just laughable.

I disagree.

Bands like The Beatles, Stones, etc have been releasing sets filled with alternate takes and fans are buying it.

Will people sit around all day listening to take 5 of Get Back or It's Only Rock N Roll But I Like It with Keith's rough vocals too high in the mix? No....but they'll buy/stream it to hear it out of curiosity.

I don't understand why this works for every other band but GNR fans think it can't work for them.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:
James wrote:
zombux wrote:
AndreCC wrote:

as I said above, there's much similar stuff like that. but there's no point of including such stuff. not even the "hardcorest" fans won't masturbate over 10 mixes of the very same take of the very same song, while each mix is like "here's 10% louder guitar", "in this one there's a bit more drums", etc. that's just laughable.

I disagree.

Bands like The Beatles, Stones, etc have been releasing sets filled with alternate takes and fans are buying it.

Will people sit around all day listening to take 5 of Get Back or It's Only Rock N Roll But I Like It with Keith's rough vocals too high in the mix? No....but they'll buy/stream it to hear it out of curiosity.

I don't understand why this works for every other band but GNR fans think it can't work for them.

At this point it has to be pure spite with the record company. I get that Axl is bitter about the Chinese saga and not getting the backing he wanted for it. But the reunion has come and gone, these guys are in their (or pushing I haven’t checked) their 60s. What’s the point? It’s never going to be 1991 again so get it out there, get streams, and sell your rights like most every other artist their age seems to be doing. There are millions to be made selling to Mercks group.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
James wrote:
zombux wrote:
AndreCC wrote:

I disagree.

The cherry on top is their complete unwillingness to even talk about it or be open to their fans in any way.

What else is there to think other than they completely take us for granted? What else is there to think other than we’ll see them when they need the money?

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:
James wrote:
zombux wrote:

I disagree.

At this point it has to be pure spite with the record company. I get that Axl is bitter about the Chinese saga and not getting the backing he wanted for it. But the reunion has come and gone, these guys are in their (or pushing I haven’t checked) their 60s. What’s the point? It’s never going to be 1991 again so get it out there, get streams, and sell your rights like most every other artist their age seems to be doing. There are millions to be made selling to Mercks group.

It truly is a stalemate with both sides losing with each year that goes by. CD will always be a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma.

I mean like seriously....what was the point of it all?

Sky Dog wrote:

The whole thing is baffling...any normal thinking individual would take some of the Chinese leftovers and use them as his songs for a Gnr record. Then, take some of the crazy stuff and use that for a solo record. He could win on both fronts. He chooses to do neither. axl

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

The whole thing is baffling...any normal thinking individual would take some of the Chinese leftovers and use them as his songs for a Gnr record. Then, take some of the crazy stuff and use that for a solo record. He could win on both fronts. He chooses to do neither. axl

He has the worst work ethic of any major superstar musician EVER.  I was reading that Ozzy Osbourne (who has Parkinson's now) is releasing his second album in the 2020's.  He's in his 70s.  On that 2020 album, Duff plays on the majority of the tracks and Slash guests on a couple of tracks.  So at least those guys are, gasp, releasing new music.

Sky Dog wrote:

Let’s be honest....the people who bought Chinese were in essence Axl diehards. So, In my opinion he would have had a large following, by normal standards, had he released Chinese as a solo record. Ozzy did well with his solo guitar wizard. Axl would have done the same with Buckethead....think TWAT released as a lead off single to an Axl solo album. Pretty fucking good had the masses heard it in that context. Hard to believe a tune like that got buried before it even had a chance. When really put in context of what should have happened but what actually did, it is one of the biggest colossal fuck ups, could a shoulda woulda twists of fate in music history.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Let’s be honest....the people who bought Chinese were in essence Axl diehards. So, In my opinion he would have had a large following, by normal standards, had he released Chinese as a solo record. Ozzy did well with his solo guitar wizard. Axl would have done the same with Buckethead....think TWAT released as a lead off single to an Axl solo album. Pretty fucking good had the masses heard it in that context. Hard to believe a tune like that got buried before it even had a chance. When really put in context of what should have happened but what actually did, it is one of the biggest colossal fuck ups, could a shoulda woulda twists of fate in music history.

Have you ever tried telling this saga to a non GNR fan?  I bet they would be shocked at how fucked up this mickey mouse operation is/was?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
slashsfro wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

He has the worst work ethic of any major superstar musician EVER.

The only one who is worse is Sly Stone but he had a legit reason.....he's insane.

He got too comfortable too young with his fortune.

The breakup of the old band clearly did a number on him....and like you pointed out, he didn't have the drive/work ethic to keep it going by himself.

It was too much pressure and the label made it so much worse.

it is one of the biggest colossal fuck ups, could a shoulda woulda twists of fate in music history

I'd like to see the alternate universe where Slash has no desire to do Snakepit and all songs worked on by all parties stay "in house".

This doesn't solve all the problems though....

The big enchilada being the presence of Paul Huge in the mix. This would've had to be dealt with quickly or it creates another scenario where Slash bails.

It was a power play on Axl's part that blew up in his face. You don't bring in another guitarist without getting Slashs seal of approval. Period. I don't give a fuck who it is.

Either bring Gilby back...he's still in their orbit....or pick a neutral replacement.

It's still hard to believe one of the greatest bands in history was essentially destroyed over this.

Slash should've took Keith Richards advice...

YOU NEVER LEAVE!!

The moment he walked out, he had no leverage. The moment he released Snakepit, it was all over but the crying. He hung in for a bit but the line had been crossed.

I'm surprised Duff and Matt hung in as long as they did.

In 94-96, every member except Axl is working on music. Take advantage of this productivity instead of having a tantrum.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:
James wrote:
slashsfro wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

He has the worst work ethic of any major superstar musician EVER.

The only one who is worse is Sly Stone but he had a legit reason.....he's insane.

He got too comfortable too young with his fortune.

The breakup of the old band clearly did a number on him....and like you pointed out, he didn't have the drive/work ethic to keep it going by himself.

It was too much pressure and the label made it so much worse.

it is one of the biggest colossal fuck ups, could a shoulda woulda twists of fate in music history

I'd like to see the alternate universe where Slash has no desire to do Snakepit and all songs worked on by all parties stay "in house".

This doesn't solve all the problems though....

The big enchilada being the presence of Paul Huge in the mix. This would've had to be dealt with quickly or it creates another scenario where Slash bails.

It was a power play on Axl's part that blew up in his face. You don't bring in another guitarist without getting Slashs seal of approval. Period. I don't give a fuck who it is.

Either bring Gilby back...he's still in their orbit....or pick a neutral replacement.

It's still hard to believe one of the greatest bands in history was essentially destroyed over this.

Slash should've took Keith Richards advice...

YOU NEVER LEAVE!!

The moment he walked out, he had no leverage. The moment he released Snakepit, it was all over but the crying. He hung in for a bit but the line had been crossed.

I'm surprised Duff and Matt hung in as long as they did.

In 94-96, every member except Axl is working on music. Take advantage of this productivity instead of having a tantrum.

I guess in some sort of psychotic defense, they probably made more money letting it play out as it did. I mean, a 5 year tour in stadiums/arenas? Think they would still be doing that if they released Snakepit 1 as a gnr album and Slash never left? Not sure. Distance makes the heart grow fonder…and more nostalgic.

Board footer