You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: NFL 2019

James wrote:

Dollars to donuts the season is on the verge of being cancelled.

Just a total cluster fuck.

I think all sports should be abandoned until this pandemic is fully under control.

James

James wrote:

Just got through watching the 93 NFC Championship game between the Cowboys and Niners.

Cowboys won 30-20. Don't let the score deceive you....it wasn't really that close. It was tied 10-10 at the half and then the Cowboys trounced them.

This game is a cluster fuck. It was obvious as the 3rd quarter was wrapping up that the Niners aren't winning this thing. Young can't get it done.

It's mind-blowing. You literally have the greatest QB who will ever play the game standing idle on the sidelines. They weren't willing to bruise Young's ego by benching him and letting Montana get them back in the game...so were willing to lose instead.

There's a moment around the 5 minute mark in the game where they show Montana on the sidelines. There's an intensity in his eyes...he wants to go in. He knows he could clean the clock of this Dallas defense. The cherry on top is how some Dallas players were celebrating with a whole quarter left to go. Montana thrived in such situations. It flustered Young.

This game is slipping through the cracks of time and isn't talked about enough. It is a key moment. The Dallas dynasty starts here in Candlestick. If Montana comes in and wins this thing, it alters the landscape of the NFC. The Dallas dynasty is stomped in its cradle, instead of Montana shipping off to KC we might get a Young trade instead, and the cherry on top is another Niners SB, possibly more with Montana staying.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

My Steelers are looking damn fine. I don't know why there isn't more noise around the Bears.  5-1 and they're not even in the top 1/3 of the power rankings.  With Bell going to KC, I'm even more sure they're the AFC champions this year, but maybe I'll get lucky and they'll get sniped early on in the playoffs.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Bears are coming together. Early on their record was a bit misleading, I think they barely won Game 1, then benched Trubinsky, Foles won. Then they lost game 3 or something, so they were 2-1 but almost 0-3.  5-1 tho is 5-1. As Parcells said, you are what you're record says you are.

Pittsburgh seems good, Big Ben has had one heckuva career, he was almost written off 2-3 years ago. AFC East has 4 solid teams.  NFC East is a joke, Eagles might actually make the playoffs, and possibly could at 6-9-1 which is a wreck.  They play NYG Thursday night which should be a good win for them hopefully.

KC is on another level. Baltimore's a good team too but AFC has quite a few good playoff teams.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
James wrote:

Just got through watching the 93 NFC Championship game between the Cowboys and Niners.

Cowboys won 30-20. Don't let the score deceive you....it wasn't really that close. It was tied 10-10 at the half and then the Cowboys trounced them.

This game is a cluster fuck. It was obvious as the 3rd quarter was wrapping up that the Niners aren't winning this thing. Young can't get it done.

It's mind-blowing. You literally have the greatest QB who will ever play the game standing idle on the sidelines. They weren't willing to bruise Young's ego by benching him and letting Montana get them back in the game...so were willing to lose instead.

There's a moment around the 5 minute mark in the game where they show Montana on the sidelines. There's an intensity in his eyes...he wants to go in. He knows he could clean the clock of this Dallas defense. The cherry on top is how some Dallas players were celebrating with a whole quarter left to go. Montana thrived in such situations. It flustered Young.

This game is slipping through the cracks of time and isn't talked about enough. It is a key moment. The Dallas dynasty starts here in Candlestick. If Montana comes in and wins this thing, it alters the landscape of the NFC. The Dallas dynasty is stomped in its cradle, instead of Montana shipping off to KC we might get a Young trade instead, and the cherry on top is another Niners SB, possibly more with Montana staying.

Classic game right here....although I’d argue the dynasty began in the playoffs the year before when the Cowboys defeated the Bears 17-13 in Chicago via 2 separate but amazing goal line stands.

Reason i say that? That game was Ditkas last playoff game as head coach of the Chicago Bears. The last gasp of the mighty 80s Bears came in the 1991/92 playoffs and these new Cowboys slammed the door shut on the 80s Bears and Ditka for the last time.

James

James wrote:

Speaking of trading Young, I'd like to see the alternate universe that almost happened in 92 during the draft where Seifert almost traded Young to the Raiders for all their draft picks and Tim Brown.

Imagine Montana with Rice, Taylor, and Brown as his WRs.

Then imagine them playing Dallas five months later....

James

James wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Classic game right here....although I’d argue the dynasty began in the playoffs the year before when the Cowboys defeated the Bears 17-13 in Chicago via 2 separate but amazing goal line stands.

Reason i say that? That game was Ditkas last playoff game as head coach of the Chicago Bears. The last gasp of the mighty 80s Bears came in the 1991/92 playoffs and these new Cowboys slammed the door shut on the 80s Bears and Ditka for the last time.

Good point. It was definitely a natural progression over three seasons.

I still say it goes nowhere if they lose this game. Jones wanted a SB really bad....and his relationship with Jimmy Johnson was extremely volatile to say the least. Their blowup might have happened a year earlier than it did. Johnson walks away(or is fired) without this SB win, Dallas may never win any.

Yes that was the beginning of the long Bears nightmare.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

The only thing I remember about this game was Alvin Harper doing a long catch and run that more or less sealed the game.  I think Emmitt Smith scored a few plays later.

Randall Flagg wrote:

My Steelers are looking damn fine. I don't know why there isn't more noise around the Bears.  5-1 and they're not even in the top 1/3 of the power rankings.  With Bell going to KC, I'm even more sure they're the AFC champions this year, but maybe I'll get lucky and they'll get sniped early on in the playoffs.

On the Bears, outside of TB they've beaten horrible teams and Foles has looked pedestrian. You can only hide the qb for so long.  Also the running game looks like shit.  That's why there isn't much noise around them.  If you have a huge question mark at qb, your upside is capped or limited. On the AFC side, the Colts are sort similar.  Rivers is done.  Too bad because the rest of that team is good.

James

James wrote:

Going back decades, it is ALWAYS the same formula with the Bears if/when they climb out of the division cellar.

A young shitty QB

or

An average to mediocre veteran that they're praying can assume the role of game manager ( a la Trent Dilfer)

There will be a minor QB controversy over who gets to steer the sinking ship

An average to elite RB who has to carry the team on his shoulders with an ineffective offensive line

A good kicker who will miss field goals/extra points in the clutch

Average to great defense that must constantly stay on the field and prevent TDs so they can win the game 15-7

Other than my general lack of enthusiasm for the present day NFL, I can't get excited for the Bears regardless of their record or circumstances.

It is a team 15 years overdue for a massive overhaul. Top to bottom.... from the owner/GM down to the janitors.

It's one of the iconic teams with an interesting history yet it all went wrong in the early 90s and other than a season here or there, it's been a nosedive ever since.

I was lucky to be in the minority of fans who had two favorite teams(,Bears and Bills). When the Bears started to collapse as the 90s were kicking off, the Bills dynasty was underway.

The Chicago Bears are not the Bears of yesteryear.  They somehow morphed into a second version of the Detroit Lions.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

QBs are wierd, a select few frachises fare very well with them (Green Bay, Eagles did well with Randall Cunningham, McNabb, a few years of Vick & now Wentz is solid enough, 49ers mostly with Montana, Young, Garcia) while others like Miami & the Bears struggle to land 1 franchise QB for two decades. Buffalo was similar but Josh Allen looks legit.  Jets struggle often as well.

Board footer