You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Timeline of the recording sessions for the new leaks

AtariLegend wrote:
James wrote:

I'd love to know what Moby heard before bailing. I know it was instrumentals but how much.

He probably (not deff) heard at least an early sketch Oh My God (this i love???) since the dates line up.

I'm really curious how many of these tracks other than Oh My God, Down By The Ocean (izzy) and This I Love at least Duff was there for the start off.

Wonder if there's a chance if a few of these tracks litterally started when Slash was still there.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

Duff was there for the start off.

Wonder if there's a chance if a few of these tracks litterally started when Slash was still there.

I think so.

The timeline is definitely cutting it close but the birth pangs of the CD era reside in 95-96.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

The '96 album is essentially CD mk 1.

Mostly Axl material, that being stuff recorded by Paul Huge and friends.

Axl wanted these songs to be "re-imagined" by Guns, so to speak.

The Beavan album was created, from those and later bits, that way.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Yeah...I knew that CD Whispers had figured out that it indeed dates back to that period even though most would consider it unlikely.
You might could make a case for 94 as those Gilby interviews at the time eerily sound like what was to come
It simply hadn't been named Chinese democracy yet.

To any newer members here, do yourself a favor and read CD Whispers in it's entirety.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

It all reminds me of Theseus' ship.

"The ship of Theseus is a thought experiment that raises the question of whether an object that has had all of its components replaced remains fundamentally the same object."

On CD, we have at least four separate eras; '94-'96 / '97-'99 / '00-'02 / '03-'08. The album is the end result of that, and half the tracks have been re-recorded by other two lineups.

Josh Freese, for instance, is still interwoven in the arrangements of the Beavan-era songs, even if Brain & Tommy re-recorded the backing tracks many times since. They're still essentially the same songs.

Fortus has divulged that about 3 unreleased songs are based on Slash's riffs / song ideas, recorded in '96 or earlier. At this point, it only makes sense to put Slash back on them.

It all adds up to 48 songs in toto, or about 3-4 discs of rough mixes. The quantity of Axl's vault has been questioned over the years (Axl said 70 in late '99; even Kurt Loder ahem'd) - but now we have a pretty reasonable song listing.

CD is indeed the ship of Theseus, you can release it and it still remains out there 14

sp1at
 Rep: 43 

sp1at wrote:

Just going back through some old interviews, Moby mentioned Prostitute, as did Youth. Brain also said Prostitute was one of the stronger songs. I always wonder if it was one of Axl's favo(u)rite tracks, because everyone seemed to like it so much.

From Dave Dominguez

"In the late 90's, you did some work on the new Guns n'roses album. How did this come about, and give us your thoughts on some of those early tracks like Oklahoma, This I Love and Ides of March"

DD) I was a staff engineer at Rumbo Recorders and was about to quit or lose me mind I thought it was time to get what clients I had (practically none) and get out. The manager came to me and said Guns was coming in to do their next record and they had no producer or engineer and that needed someone with experience so I said "yes" and she also said they would be writing for two months and then recording for two months and they would be it (haha) seven months later. I bailed on good terms with Axl and the band but not with the studio. During that time they interviewed quite a few producers and I had to give them a technical rundown of what was going on which was pretty elaborate and insane. As the far as the songs go : "Oklahoma" was pretty much written by the time they got to the studio Axl wrote that with inspiration from the Oklahoma City bombing (more as a tribute to those who died if I'm not mistaken) "Ides of March" was a working title of one of the songs that came from a loop name that Dizzy came up with I think they kept the name but it's been years so I'm sure everything has changed by now. "This I love" is actually an old GN'R song that the original GN'R wrote and recorded for the "Illusion" records I like that song a lot.. it took a couple of weeks to find all the tapes because they finished recording "Use Your Illusions" on the road and one tape was in Paris another in London and another in Sydney I believe.

Board footer