You are not logged in. Please register or login.

sp1at
 Rep: 43 

Re: Will new music be released in 2020?

sp1at wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:
sp1at wrote:

There is intention to release a new album this year and none of the current gossip since the new year is correct. Slash source.

Thanks for the inside baseball, sp1at!

bigbri wrote:

For what it’s worth. “Drop” is only used as slang for “release music,” so this is either close to a confirmation or the GNR social team sucks.

True but imma take the latter.

It's nothing new if you think about it, it just reaffirms what has already been said in interviews and social media.

I would just go for Q2 or Q3 based on what I posted.

Will new music be released in 2020?

Yes, Q1 26%
Yes, Q2 7%
Yes, Q3 2%
Yes, Q4 12%
No 52%
Total votes: 42
bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
sp1at wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:
sp1at wrote:

There is intention to release a new album this year and none of the current gossip since the new year is correct. Slash source.

Thanks for the inside baseball, sp1at!

bigbri wrote:

For what it’s worth. “Drop” is only used as slang for “release music,” so this is either close to a confirmation or the GNR social team sucks.

True but imma take the latter.

It's nothing new if you think about it, it just reaffirms what has already been said in interviews and social media.

I would just go for Q2 or Q3 based on what I posted.

April is Q2! So maybe.

In the poll, BTW, I voted no, but I'm being swayed ....

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

I'm still voting no.  If they don't say anything at Miami, it's not happening.  People can imagine GN'R get off to playing mind games, but announcing an album is a positive for concert sales, not a hindrance.  I want a new record as much as anyone, but if you don't create expectations from conjecture and wishful thinking, you won't be upset when said expectations don't manifest.  No new song at Miami, no new album.  We heard CD songs 8 years before release, we can hear a "new" song 4 months early.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

I'm still voting no.  If they don't say anything at Miami, it's not happening.  People can imagine GN'R get off to playing mind games, but announcing an album is a positive for concert sales, not a hindrance.  I want a new record as much as anyone, but if you don't create expectations from conjecture and wishful thinking, you won't be upset when said expectations don't manifest.  No new song at Miami, no new album.  We heard CD songs 8 years before release, we can hear a "new" song 4 months early.

This, if I was announcing a tour and putting tickets up for sale I'd announce a new album is coming (even just which Quarter). That hasn't happened so I still doubt.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

I think a new single and announcement happen real soon

wasted
 Rep: 4 

wasted wrote:

If ticket sales dropped I could see the logic. But that doesn’t mean they won’t be ready. They say they have been recording...

I think it’s more about getting on the Slash train. Do it now or he’ll off doing something else. There’s a album tour cycle open. If they miss it Slash will do another solo thing and rec comp will release a UYI box set.

In fact playing Dead Horse and Locomotive points to a UYI release more than a new album. So much more profitable and easier with way less risk.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:
wasted wrote:

If ticket sales dropped I could see the logic. But that doesn’t mean they won’t be ready. They say they have been recording...

I think it’s more about getting on the Slash train. Do it now or he’ll off doing something else. There’s a album tour cycle open. If they miss it Slash will do another solo thing and rec comp will release a UYI box set.

In fact playing Dead Horse and Locomotive points to a UYI release more than a new album. So much more profitable and easier with way less risk.

Possibly - but we have had so many signals they want to release new music. And the general public love GN’R again like they didn’t during the Chinese fiasco.

The pressure is off to some degree but the most important thing I think they are aware of is legacy now. And hopefully a smattering of concern for their art. In no universe should Chinese be the creative bookend for one of the great bands of all time. I’m sure even Axl is acutely aware of this.

The time is now to right the wrongs and to set history straight - also to reward the long suffering diehards and keep the train rolling - I see it as more of a sure thing than a risk myself - literally everyone wins here

Kinglaoi
 Rep: 0 

Kinglaoi wrote:

Jimmythegent, I agree with everything you posted, but...... And it's a big BUTT, it's gnr

Sky Dog wrote:

There is always the possibility they release a new song written by the new band and.....gasp.....it stinks. big_smile

wasted
 Rep: 4 

wasted wrote:
jimmythegent wrote:
wasted wrote:

Possibly - but we have had so many signals they want to release new music. And the general public love GN’R again like they didn’t during the Chinese fiasco.

The pressure is off to some degree but the most important thing I think they are aware of is legacy now. And hopefully a smattering of concern for their art. In no universe should Chinese be the creative bookend for one of the great bands of all time. I’m sure even Axl is acutely aware of this.

The time is now to right the wrongs and to set history straight - also to reward the long suffering diehards and keep the train rolling - I see it as more of a sure thing than a risk myself - literally everyone wins here

I agree the scene is set pretty well. Successful tour, no negativity around the line up and the final album should be the real GNR...the doubts are is it really, it’s more like the real GNR, but who thinks that? Does Axl think that exactly. Or is it just another lifetime? Another thing is laying down or throwing up a brick isn’t as great for the long term legacy necessarily. Maybe the great thing about GNR is the purity of the creative progression of the band. As chaotic as it was it was always true or real. They never went back to remake an album or style. They’ve never done the Rick Rubin nostalgia album, and that might not be that bad, to do a self titled mix of the various eras. But it also might be a mistake in terms of legacy. They haves a discography like Zepp or The Doors right now. I think pushing for the next Latter Day Guns album is more the GNR thing to do, not so much just laying down a throwback UYI lite album or DKOT album. With their output they only need to put out the artistic impact albums. I do think this is the real GNR might be a part of that though, but without Izzy it’s still Axl’s movie. It’s Axl and Slash’s final curtain call but can they beat Nov Rain and Coma?

Board footer