You are not logged in. Please register or login.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

Re: Current Events Thread

mitchejw wrote:

Trump is suing everywhere now...he's suing Nevada...and I'm sure he'll sue in Georgia and North Carolina soon...as those margins are tightening.

Does he really think this is how he's going to win?

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

mitchejw wrote:

Trump is suing everywhere now...he's suing Nevada...and I'm sure he'll sue in Georgia and North Carolina soon...as those margins are tightening.

He has every right to sue where states questionably altered the election rules to favor Democrats. Pa being the prime example. You may personally agree with changing the deadline, but you have to recognize the legal dilemma of allowing governors to act unilaterally. If the law said ballots can be counted for a week after the election and a Republican Governor said “nope!  I declare the cutoff the day before”, you’d be demanding a court case too. It works both ways.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

He has every right to sue where states questionably altered the election rules to favor Democrats. Pa being the prime example. You may personally agree with changing the deadline, but you have to recognize the legal dilemma of allowing governors to act unilaterally. If the law said ballots can be counted for a week after the election and a Republican Governor said “nope!  I declare the cutoff the day before”, you’d be demanding a court case too. It works both ways.

Don't states get to make their own voting rules though? Is that in question?

Randall Flagg

States do. Via their legislature passing a law and the governor signing it. Not the Governor announcing he’s changing the rules.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:

Breaking News: Kanye West has conceded...he sees no pathway to 270 at this time...

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Jesus christ make it stop!

Hey USA 1920 called and they want their election vote counting system back

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Latest vote tally in Nevada: Biden's lead grows from whatever it was (7K or so) to 12K or so.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

States do. Via their legislature passing a law and the governor signing it. Not the Governor announcing he’s changing the rules.

I thought the state supreme court weighed in on this and approved of the method. What is it? Any ballot post marked by election day?

Randall Flagg

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

I thought the state supreme court weighed in on this and approved of the method. What is it? Any ballot post marked by election day?

Indeed.  But SCOTUS already ruled 4-4 on it, and while they declined to take it up again last week due to lack of time to render a decision, they asked the state to segregate the ballots that arrive after November 3rd so they can possibly take it up again. No one can say for certain that they will or won't, but if the election were to be decided by those ballots (and our AG who called the state for Biden early Tuesday coincidentally just jumped ahead in the results this morning due to those ballots) you could certainly argue SCOTUS has an obligation to rule definitively.  You could argue the opposite of course,  but what you argue depends greatly on where you stand to benefit.  Now that GA is almost done and Biden is behind by less than half a point, I'm expecting his campaign to file suit in GA as well.

Randall Flagg

All that being said, I am so done with this.  I don't really care anymore.  Biden won the Presidency, and that gives every Democrat in the nation a reason to celebrate.  But they also lost seats in the house and failed to win the Senate, which gives every Republican in the country something to celebrate.  The same judges issuing stays against Trump's EOs now have counterparts who feel they can do the same to Biden's EOs.

Board footer