You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Current Events Thread

misterID wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Also, the events of Wednesday underscore many reasons why DC should be a state with a governor with the powers that other governors have.

No way.

They have a mayor, that's enough. They just need a competent one. As with Trump, you get what you vote for.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Also, the events of Wednesday underscore many reasons why DC should be a state with a governor with the powers that other governors have.

and why not after all?

The population of Wyoming is 580k people. Wyoming is afforded 2 US Senators and 3 Representatives. The district of Columbia has 700k with 1/20th the land mass and zero senators.

You could say the same about North and South Dakota and a few other states out there in the middle-west of the country.

Is this really such a radical idea?

It can open up Pandora's Box.

Is Puerto Rico next? Legit reasons for their statehood.

How about after that? Guam?

Where does it end?

This should've been done in the 90s. There's a partisan slant to doing it now. When the other party gets back in, they'll have a list of states to add.

James

James wrote:

The backpedaling has officially begun....

Manchin just said "Absolutely not!" on any 2k stimulus.

That means Dems would need Republicans to help pass it.

I know what's probably going to happen....they'll keep the stimulus out of the news cycle so no one focuses on it. With Trump on the way out, they don't have to harp on it.

The Dems shit show has officially begun. They've got two years until losing the house and senate.

These cycles are so predictable. Talk a big game when you're in the minority but as soon as power is handed to you, it's obvious that you didn't support it in the first place.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
James wrote:

I know what's probably going to happen....they'll keep the stimulus out of the news cycle so no one focuses on it. With Trump on the way out, they don't have to harp on it.

The Dems shit show has officially begun. They've got two years until losing the house and senate.

These cycles are so predictable. Talk a big game when you're in the minority but as soon as power is handed to you, it's obvious that you didn't support it in the first place.

Can we at least wait until Biden takes office before we criticize the 2021-23 era? If Biden is the man we all hope he is...getting things done in Washington should be something he excels in.

Also, $2000 payments are a popular idea. I think the right negotiating tool is put this on the table when negotiating about corporate liability during CO-VID and State and Local federal funding.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
James wrote:

DC is a difference case from Puerto Rico and Guam and others....don't those respective countries have to vote to join? I don't remember the status details of a commonwealth or a protectorate.

Are you saying that if they wanted to join you'd be against it?

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
James wrote:

Can we at least wait until Biden takes office before we criticize the 2021-23 era? If Biden is the man we all hope he is...getting things done in Washington should be something he excels in.

Also, $2000 payments are a popular idea. I think the right negotiating tool is put this on the table when negotiating about corporate liability during CO-VID and State and Local federal funding.

Manchin backpedaled a little too.  Claimed that his first priority was getting the vaccine out.  I don't think it's dead only because there appears to be some bi-partisan support for this, like Rubio even that sycophant Hawley appears to  be for it.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:

Good lord did he bring this on himself or what?

James

James wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
James wrote:

Can we at least wait until Biden takes office before we criticize the 2021-23 era?

Maybe aim this at the people making these announcements.  Doesn't he have bigger fish to fry at the moment? Apparently not.

I'm not going to hold my tongue when they start backpedaling.

When Trump backpedals the Earth instantly shakes from everyone stomping their feet.

The timing of his statement is interesting...and it's by design. The disastrous near coup is dominating the news cycle. He planted this seed a bit under the radar.

I don't think it's dead only because there appears to be some bi-partisan support for this, like Rubio even that sycophant Hawley appears to  be for it.

To paraphrase John Kerry....

They'll be for it until they're against it.

If the Dems need the GOP to pass their main promises, it's going to get ugly very quickly.

DC is a difference case from Puerto Rico and Guam and others....don't those respective countries have to vote to join? I don't remember the status details of a commonwealth or a protectorate.

Are you saying that if they wanted to join you'd be against it?

I think Puerto Rico should've become a state in the 90s. If memory serves me correctly, it was close but they voted against it.

Guam or some other US base in the Pacific? No...it isn't necessary.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Manchin is barely a Democrat. I expect he’ll be primaried.

James

James wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Good lord did he bring this on himself or what?

The monster that the GOP, Fox News, etc have created is now out of its cage and has turned on them.

It's going to get worse. Something really bad is going to happen...a terrorist attack like OKC or assassinations.

We just talked about this yesterday but this is why our news has to be reformed and something done about social media.

You can't keep millions of people riled up 24/7 indefinitely and expect everyone to just sit back and enjoy the show.

Our country is in the early stages of collapse and if we don't do something soon we're going to accelerate over the cliff.

Board footer