You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: Current Events Thread

Smoking Guns wrote:
misterID wrote:
bigbri wrote:
misterID wrote:

That's not censorship, big, calling for violence is a violation of a platforms terms and is absolutely acceptable, and you know that's not what I'm talking about.

For the most part my post was sarcastic and it wasn’t in response to anyone specifically.

I just wanted to point out there is no place for this in our society, even Parler knows this. The Brandenburg Supreme Court case pretty much supports this, even though a social media platform banning folks isn’t really a First Amendment issue.

Banning on social media is more like not serving someone because they want a rainbow wedding cake. That precedent has also been set.

I would say this, as a company that serves the public you cannot deny service based on race, sex, sexuality, religious or political beliefs. These are basic civil rights companies must adhere to if they serve the public. This isn't like "no shoes, no shirt, no service" this is discrimination.

At this point, Twitter is a publisher. They're deciding what is news, what's disseminated.

Exactly! Why don’t our fellow posters get this??? We are letting Mark Zuckerburg decide what we should and shouldn’t see? Same with Google and Twitter. We are headed to North Korea shit

IRISH OS1R1S
 Rep: 59 

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

Trump was banned for inciting violence. That isn't discrimination. Why don't you get that?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
James wrote:

Don't fall for the whataboutism. It's an attempt to deflect, distract, and absolve Trump of his responsibility for this chaos.

You have a brain.... don't ever stop using it.

My concern is that I think both the left and the right have moderate factions and then also nut job factions.

On the right wing there's a lot of normal people - business owners who want tax breaks, or people in older industries who feel that globalisation has not worked out well for them or who are otherwise attracted to moderate republican policies. And then there's also the paramilitary nazi crazies.

On the left wing there's a lot of normal people too - there's people who are concerned about the environment for their kids future, there's people who work 2 or 3 jobs to get by and they still can't get a break, there's people who just want improved heathcare, there's people who were shocked at some of the police incidents last year. And then there's the violent marxist radicals.

One of the things the social media stuff is doing is making everything more extreme....but there's a lot of people who are not full blown marxist revolutionaries but would like to protest for civil change peacefully, and there's a lot of people who are not nazis but who have concerns about the election outcomes or the freedoms being altered around the virus and so on.

So both sides have normal people, and both have violent anti-social types.

The issue becomes - if you are going to deplatform someone who hasn't actually called for violence because their policies incite the unstable elements of their base, then all kinds of future censorship becomes necessary on both sides.

I'm not trying to absolve trump of anything or engage in whataboutism or play sides or anything. I'm just saying in this instance it was repugnant actions from the far right, but I have zero trouble believing an alternate scenario in the future will see just as repugnant behaviour from the far left.

If people directly call for violence and incite stuff then they need to be stopped. But what do when someone encourages a peaceful protest and it goes bad? This sets a really worrying example to me. Like do we end all violent tv shows when someone with mental illness reenacts them?

Yes both sides have extremists and they get way too much attention.

If you had asked me before this incident which group of extremists pose the bigger threat overall, I would've said the left without hesitation.

They had no problem whatsoever with looting, burning neighborhoods, murder, confronting innocent people at restaurants, etc.

Let's be honest...if Trump had won, we would've seen unrest in major cities across the country. Cities were boarding up their windows on election day!

They also had the media on their side...who had the nerve to call arson and looting "mostly peaceful" on TV.

Jan 6th changed all that. 

We weren't just dealing with "normal" unrest. We were witnessing what was essentially a failed coup. Doesn't matter exactly who you wish to point the finger at....that's what it was. The more we find out about it, the worse it gets.

He's now going to the Alamo.....

One more thing....

To anyone defending this, they're about to issue new talking points. Before it was "Trump never said anything negative! It was peaceful! He told them not to do anything!"

Now it's changing to "He wasn't supposed to be taken literally!!"

Make up your mind....

IRISH OS1R1S

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:
IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

Listening to his speach now. This dude is gonna cause civil war if he doesn't shut it. What a mess, feels unreal.

To those saying he didn't incite violence. I posted this within minutes of his speech beginning, before anything had happened.

I must be clairvoyant.

James

James wrote:

This is funny....

This adviser, who spoke to Trump on Wednesday amid the siege, said Trump watched the events on television intently. CNN reported that he was so excited by the action, it “freaked out” some staffers around him. The adviser told me that Trump expressed disgust on aesthetic grounds over how “low class” his supporters looked. “He doesn’t like low-class things,” the adviser said, explaining that Trump had a similar reaction over the summer to a video of Brad Parscale, his former campaign manager, shirtless and drinking a beer in his driveway during a mental-health emergency in which police tackled him and seized his weapons. “He kept mentioning, ‘Oh, did you see him in his beer shirt?’ He was annoyed. To him, it’s just low class, in other words.”

It'll never cease to amaze me how people can worship someone who has such contempt for them.

I hope everyone who went to DC reads that but who am I kidding?

It's "fake news".

Here's more fake news....

0hhz3er0ufa61.jpg?width=892&auto=webp&s=b7c58d1d195497c03801bf90c762492a2b615897

Beating a cop to death. Trump still hasn't weighed in on the murder committed in his name.

I won't hold my breath....

James

James wrote:

Holy shit. This is much bigger than twitter censorship...

"Money talks, and at Marriott International it’s speaking out loudly against those who voted against certifying President-elect Joe Biden in the wake of the riots in Washington D.C. last week."

"“We have taken the destructive events at the Capitol to undermine a legitimate and fair election into consideration and will be pausing political giving from our Political Action Committee to those who voted against certification of the election,” a Marriott spokesperson told Popular Information."

"The political newsletter asked 144 corporations that donated to at least one of the eight objecting senators if they’d continue to offer financial support. In addition to Marriott, Blue Cross Blue Shield and Commerce Bancshares also told Popular Information they would be suspending donations. "

“In light of this week’s violent, shocking assault on the United States Capitol, and the votes of some members of Congress to subvert the results of November’s election by challenging Electoral College results, BCBSA will suspend contributions to those lawmakers who voted to undermine our democracy,” Blue Cross Blue Shield said. "

Money is power....and these people are about to lose it. Without corporations, these politicians are nothing.

This is why the smart ones switched gears.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Manchin on CNN clarified he does not support blanket $2k checks but targeted relief. I kind of agree.

My wife and I can work from home so we have not been highly affected, although working from home has increased our spending for household goods and services to support work. We don’t necessarily need $2k. When we do get our stimulus money (we just got our second round), we spend it on bigger items that don’t fit our budget, like delayable house repairs or upgrades.

So my question is this: What is the point of the $2k? Is it to support people or the economy?

If the intent as the bill is written is to help individuals, maybe targeted relief is best now, and they’ll need it again. If the intent is to jumpstart the economy, $2k for everyone is just the beginning. There would need to be more.

Listen, we’re going to enter more lockdowns when this variant takes over. It’s going to be ugly (uglier). The economy is going to grind to a halt again. Unemployment ins December already was beyond expectations.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

It’s peculiar to me that you all voluntarily sign up for these social media platforms and then complain about the rules they implement.

All this attention on them and their policies gives them even more power.

Personally, i think it’s all stupid and far too many people think they have something to say but they really don’t have anything to say at all. I see women promoting their onlyfans accounts more than anything these days.

Americans are so stupid and they demand social platforms to put it all on display.

IRISH OS1R1S

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Americans are so stupid and they demand social platforms to put it all on display.

It's not just America. American influence is so strong in our countries too that these fringe groups beliefs trickle over here. Admittedly you guys do seem to have the biggest slice of pie.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
James wrote:

Holy shit. This is much bigger than twitter censorship...

"Money talks, and at Marriott International it’s speaking out loudly against those who voted against certifying President-elect Joe Biden in the wake of the riots in Washington D.C. last week."

"“We have taken the destructive events at the Capitol to undermine a legitimate and fair election into consideration and will be pausing political giving from our Political Action Committee to those who voted against certification of the election,” a Marriott spokesperson told Popular Information."

"The political newsletter asked 144 corporations that donated to at least one of the eight objecting senators if they’d continue to offer financial support. In addition to Marriott, Blue Cross Blue Shield and Commerce Bancshares also told Popular Information they would be suspending donations. "

“In light of this week’s violent, shocking assault on the United States Capitol, and the votes of some members of Congress to subvert the results of November’s election by challenging Electoral College results, BCBSA will suspend contributions to those lawmakers who voted to undermine our democracy,” Blue Cross Blue Shield said. "

Money is power....and these people are about to lose it. Without corporations, these politicians are nothing.

This is why the smart ones switched gears.

Josh Hawley and Cruz were not going to overturn the election and there is not a damn thing wrong with raising issues that have been fvcking ignored since Nov. 3rd to RESTORE faith in the election process. Nothing Cruz or Hawley did was illegal.

Board footer