You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Current Events Thread

James wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
James wrote:

Holy shit. This is much bigger than twitter censorship...

"Money talks, and at Marriott International it’s speaking out loudly against those who voted against certifying President-elect Joe Biden in the wake of the riots in Washington D.C. last week."

"“We have taken the destructive events at the Capitol to undermine a legitimate and fair election into consideration and will be pausing political giving from our Political Action Committee to those who voted against certification of the election,” a Marriott spokesperson told Popular Information."

"The political newsletter asked 144 corporations that donated to at least one of the eight objecting senators if they’d continue to offer financial support. In addition to Marriott, Blue Cross Blue Shield and Commerce Bancshares also told Popular Information they would be suspending donations. "

“In light of this week’s violent, shocking assault on the United States Capitol, and the votes of some members of Congress to subvert the results of November’s election by challenging Electoral College results, BCBSA will suspend contributions to those lawmakers who voted to undermine our democracy,” Blue Cross Blue Shield said. "

Money is power....and these people are about to lose it. Without corporations, these politicians are nothing.

This is why the smart ones switched gears.

Josh Hawley and Cruz were not going to overturn the election and there is not a damn thing wrong with raising issues that have been fvcking ignored since Nov. 3rd to RESTORE faith in the election process. Nothing Cruz or Hawley did was illegal.

Cruz said he was "leading the charge" as the shit show got underway.

While Congress was in hiding, they were both sending out fundraising messages.

They're both pieces of shit that need to go now.

They loathe Trump's base as much as he does but they both want to hijack the base because they both have presidential aspirations.

It's time to stomp those aspirations in their cradle.

The defending of Cruz... especially at this point is laughable. Even hardcore Republicans in the Senate hate him and think he's a piece of shit. Trump hates him too. Since the base is in need of a new God Emperor, they'll accept Cruz since he barely pretends to care about them.

However.....if Trump shits on him like he has before, it's back to hating Cruz again.

This is why they laugh at and have utter contempt for their own base.

Clown world.

God I wish we had a Teddy Roosevelt, Ronald Reagan, or even a JFK entering the presidency in 10 days. These people would be in a world of shit.

James

James wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Manchin on CNN clarified he does not support blanket $2k checks but targeted relief. I kind of agree.

My wife and I can work from home so we have not been highly affected, although working from home has increased our spending for household goods and services to support work. We don’t necessarily need $2k. When we do get our stimulus money (we just got our second round), we spend it on bigger items that don’t fit our budget, like delayable house repairs or upgrades.

So my question is this: What is the point of the $2k? Is it to support people or the economy?

If the intent as the bill is written is to help individuals, maybe targeted relief is best now, and they’ll need it again. If the intent is to jumpstart the economy, $2k for everyone is just the beginning. There would need to be more.

Listen, we’re going to enter more lockdowns when this variant takes over. It’s going to be ugly (uglier). The economy is going to grind to a halt again. Unemployment ins December already was beyond expectations.

Yeah there's no easy answers to the problems we face.

Here's one of the problems...

We've been giving corporations trillions while both sides dragged their asses for months. Now millions are facing eviction, foreclosure, etc.

I guess the question is... how much do you give the plebes? Do you make it more targeted like Manchin hints at? How do you decide that?

If they want a REAL lockdown, they're going to have to pay people enough to stay home a couple months. This should've happened last year. Instead we spent trillions and there's no sign of this ending anytime soon.

It's a disaster.

James

James wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

It’s peculiar to me that you all voluntarily sign up for these social media platforms and then complain about the rules they implement.

All this attention on them and their policies gives them even more power.

Personally, i think it’s all stupid and far too many people think they have something to say but they really don’t have anything to say at all. I see women promoting their onlyfans accounts more than anything these days.

Americans are so stupid and they demand social platforms to put it all on display.

I hate social media. It's played a huge role in the evolving collapse of our nation. TPTB have used it for social engineering. Extremism on both sides....

-Women have penises! There's a thousand genders! If you don't believe this you must be destroyed! Everything is racist!

And...

- A deranged narcissist who cares nothing about us is our savior! He's going to take down the satanic elite pedophiles! Covid is a Chinese hoax! Climate change isn't real!

Without social media, none of that garbage ever gets off the ground.

Only social media site I use is reddit and I don't really consider it social media. It's more like a giant forum with a million subforums.

James

James wrote:

To the people complaining about social media censorship....

Guns
Incendiary devices
Pipe bombs
Zip ties
Knives

Were brought to the Capitol. The fact that all these weapons did not get inside the Capitol building or used is beside the point.

Social media was used to get the message out and assemble all these people.

We had Trump calling his VP a coward which instantly put a target on his back,  Cruz sending out messages he was "leading the charge", and Giuliani wanting "trial by combat". The cherry on top of this shit sundae is the fundraising taking place simultaneously.

Five people died.

I don't believe there's a single person in the world not smart enough to know why these people are being shut down and censored.

Bad faith arguments and faux outrage are being pushed everywhere to deflect, distract, and change the narrative into just another round of standard, run of the mill red/blue trench warfare.

This is serious shit that could've plunged this country into a nightmare but thanks to clown world, an issue that should've easily united everyone must be used to divide.

Only thing that shows there's even a shred of hope for this country is that the polls show that a majority were sickened by this and want him gone.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Manchin on CNN clarified he does not support blanket $2k checks but targeted relief. I kind of agree.

My wife and I can work from home so we have not been highly affected, although working from home has increased our spending for household goods and services to support work. We don’t necessarily need $2k. When we do get our stimulus money (we just got our second round), we spend it on bigger items that don’t fit our budget, like delayable house repairs or upgrades.

So my question is this: What is the point of the $2k? Is it to support people or the economy?

If the intent as the bill is written is to help individuals, maybe targeted relief is best now, and they’ll need it again. If the intent is to jumpstart the economy, $2k for everyone is just the beginning. There would need to be more.

Listen, we’re going to enter more lockdowns when this variant takes over. It’s going to be ugly (uglier). The economy is going to grind to a halt again. Unemployment ins December already was beyond expectations.

Yea but...if you really want to stimulate an economy...why do you care about 'who' gets the money?

Helping individuals doesn't really fit with any basic economic theory I understand. The goal is to keep the wheel turning right? If we know there's an end to this...and it'll likely happen some time in 2021...then it shouldn't be about picking and choosing who does and doesn't benefit. Everyone should benefit.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

The question to me then becomes what counts as inciting violence.

For example I was sickened by the George Floyd murder - but the fall out from that turned into burning down unrelated businesses and attacking people in cafes and so on.  So if I was then to publicly advocate for police reform or redistribution of wealth am I somehow endorsing riots?

How do we define the line? Obviously people directly calling for violence need to be shut up. But what happens when extremists from either side use moderate views to justify their actions? I don't think the solution is to ban moderate communication.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

So media up here is reporting that Pelosi said that the house will vote for Pence to invoke the 25th Amendment tomorrow...if he doesnt do it they will impeach him a 2nd time

James

James wrote:

The question to me then becomes what counts as inciting violence.

Would a Trump/Q obsessed congresswoman tweeting Pelosi's location in the Capitol to the rioters count?

How about Cruz announcing he's leading the charge as the charge gets underway and a cop's getting beat to death?

Giuliani announcing minutes before the chaos that he wants trial by combat?

Trump ranting and raving about marching to the Capitol, specifically calling out his own vice president ,who immediately becomes a target and rioters are looking for him to hang him?

At what point are people willing to call a spade a spade?

Trump was right about his base....he said years ago he could murder someone in front of them and they'd still support him. That was a roundabout way of Trump saying his base is dumber than dogshit.

We almost had a decapitation strike on our VP and Congress and this corrupt, cowardly piece of shit still has people defending him.

For fucks sake....A bomb was placed outside each party's headquarters.

It's time for people to stop acting like this was a walk in the park and Trump was just innocently tiptoeing through the tulips.

I don't think the solution is to ban moderate communication.

Cracking down on a group of people who planned a failed coup is not banning "moderate communication".

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Banning Trump from social media does not deprive him of anything. All he has to do is call a news conference, step up to the podium, talk and take questions, and every network would air it.

James

James wrote:

Trump threatened Loeffler if she didn't go along with his contesting the election.

Rioters were yelling racial slurs.

25 troops under investigation for links to the riot

The news that keeps trickling out just gets better and better....

I just saw where Colin Powell is no longer a Republican.

Not a huge surprise..

Board footer