You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Re: Current Events Thread

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

I'm sorry ID but if you are trying to convince me that you don't have a cop problem I am gonna disagree.
14 unarmed Black victims and 25 unarmed white victims in 2019. How can you write that and not see an issue?

Type cops in to YouTube and look at dozens upon dozens of videos uploaded everyday of cops acting unprofessional or misusing their powers. These protests are not people imagining this shit and no, I'm not talking about the looters. There is a problem and anyone defending it has me baffled honestly.

What was it in years past?  What is it elsewhere?

I don’t know if anyone has said there isn’t a problem with police abuse and brutality. 50 years ago it was swept under the rug and tolerated. All officers in the death of George Floyd are internationally known and under indictment for murder.

There’s 330M+ people in this country. I’m not celebrating any death, but if 39 unarmed people, most of which were actively trying to harm the officer or someone the moment they die, are all the lives our police force take each year, I don’t know if that justifies the lies, violence, harassment, damage and threats that those in the streets believe it does.

I have no idea what’s going on in your country. But one of America’s two political parties celebrated this group at their national convention and profess alignment with them. Virtually every American media outlet is showing them in a positive and peaceful light. And any corporation with Facebook is waiving their flag. I think a group/movement/ideology as vague and misinformed as the larger BLM political movement is worth objective scrutiny. Not indifference.

No less than 5 police officers have been shot in the past 4 months directly by those out supporting this movement. Just as the uninformed swallow the popular narrative without much thought and believe there’s a war on black men by police, police officers are being flooded with images of thugs assassinating their fellow officers. They see a media making them out to be evil, and have to endure daily verbal if not physical assaults from people looking for an opportunity to go viral. I’d say it’s the perfect storm to create tragedy. Rather than fuel the flames of the uninformed and prohibiting dialogue based on fact, the media should serve its purpose to inform and educate with the objective truth. When MSNBC stars say “black lives don’t matter” on national TV because officers who were fired on serving a warrant they were required to serve, returned fire at the person who just shot one of them, weren’t charged as murderers, how the fuck can you pretend there isn’t a serious disconnect from reality, law and objective truth.

IRISH OS1R1S
 Rep: 59 

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

I'm not disputing anything you said regarding blm and such. I would not support any group that causes violence and I don't believe it to be a race problem. I do believe it to be a class problem. Cops treat the poor differently and usually poorly. In my opinion the protest should be just about police corruption and heavy handedness. It should be inclusive of all races. I feel blm kinda took over the protest.

Randall Flagg

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

Cops in the US are out of control though, irregardless of what happened here. They use guns way too often in circumstances where they are not needed. Also do Americans not have limbs? Why do these cops shoot to kill when you can incapacitate easily by simply aiming low. The loophole of a cop being fired/suspended then being able to get rehired in other states is fucked up. Fix that and hold cops accountable more often.

Edit: and longer training when becoming a cop. Get rid of the police union as it is now also.

If you had any familiarity with firearms, you wouldn’t be advocating people be shot in the limbs. The cop was shot in the limb, in his femoral artery. It’s a fluke he’s alive. You shoot center mass because it’s hard enough to hit a moving target, let alone a moving limb on a moving target. There’s no country in the world where cops or soldiers are trained, let alone told to shoot at limbs. Mainly because it doesn’t capacitate someone. Jacob Blake was tazed and wrestled. He still shrugged it off and went for a weapon with a cop’s gun inches from his body.

I own guns. If I had to choose leg or torso, I'm gonna pick the limb every time and cops ain't sniping ffs. The majority of these incidents happen up close and personal. They are litterly in arms length of the person at times, but can't hit a non critical area?

I know you’re a person capable of considering other views. Please google the idea of shooting a limb  and YouTube some expert discussion on this.

What you’re suggesting is absurd. I can say this as someone who been in close personal armed fights, and as someone professionally trained and deployed as a US soldier. Police or any person are only authorized to fire their gun with intention to kill. Because they’re only allowed to use it when they believe their life or the life of someone else is threatened with death or serious injury. You don’t get to shoot warning shots. So if you believe your life is in danger, it’s unreasonable to be expected to shoot someone in the limb as that has a limited affect of disabling them. You’re free to make that choice, but it’s a matter of common law in the subject of self defense. Again, you’ll find no nation or police force that advocates your position. It’s Hollywood fantasy. Don’t take my word for it, look it up.

IRISH OS1R1S

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

"I don’t know if anyone has said there isn’t a problem with police abuse and brutality. 50 years ago it was swept under the rug and tolerated"

This, this is what I am saying. Now isn't this the prime time to tackle it? But yet nothing from the government. Trump won't even admit there is an issue.

I chuckle to myself sometimes here when I post. I feel some of you feel like I'm attacking your land lol. For the record you can say anything about my country and I won't really give a shit. I hold no loyalty to any piece of land just because I happened to be born someplace, but that's a whole other story.

Randall Flagg

I wasn’t making any attack on your country. My focus the past 5 months has solely been on the US. I’m vaguely aware that some western cities around the globe have had BLM protests. That’s all I know.

IRISH OS1R1S

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
IRISH OS1R1S wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

If you had any familiarity with firearms, you wouldn’t be advocating people be shot in the limbs. The cop was shot in the limb, in his femoral artery. It’s a fluke he’s alive. You shoot center mass because it’s hard enough to hit a moving target, let alone a moving limb on a moving target. There’s no country in the world where cops or soldiers are trained, let alone told to shoot at limbs. Mainly because it doesn’t capacitate someone. Jacob Blake was tazed and wrestled. He still shrugged it off and went for a weapon with a cop’s gun inches from his body.

I own guns. If I had to choose leg or torso, I'm gonna pick the limb every time and cops ain't sniping ffs. The majority of these incidents happen up close and personal. They are litterly in arms length of the person at times, but can't hit a non critical area?

I know you’re a person capable of considering other views. Please google the idea of shooting a limb  and YouTube some expert discussion on this.

What you’re suggesting is absurd. I can say this as someone who been in close personal armed fights, and as someone professionally trained and deployed as a US soldier. Police or any person are only authorized to fire their gun with intention to kill. Because they’re only allowed to use it when they believe their life or the life of someone else is threatened with death or serious injury. You don’t get to shoot warning shots. So if you believe your life is in danger, it’s unreasonable to be expected to shoot someone in the limb as that has a limited affect of disabling them. You’re free to make that choice, but it’s a matter of common law in the subject of self defense. Again, you’ll find no nation or police force that advocates your position. It’s Hollywood fantasy. Don’t take my word for it, look it up.

Yeah that was my bad, I totally forgot they can only use arms with intention to kill. I'll own that. The thing is some of these fuckers are using them when they are Not in danger. That is the problem, cops misusing their power and they do in almost every single encounter with the public. For instance demanding information when you have no obligation to do so. Yes that is a small misuse, but that's how it starts.

Anyway I think me and you are in agreement that reform is needed.

I still think I'd rather be shot in the leg or arm than centre mass, but admit I haven't researd it at all.

IRISH OS1R1S

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

I wasn’t making any attack on your country. My focus the past 5 months has solely been on the US. I’m vaguely aware that some western cities around the globe have had BLM protests. That’s all I know.

I just get that feeling sometimes, not necessarily just from you, but it's all good either way.

Good discussion BTW all.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
misterID wrote:

In a population over 300 million there were 1,004 fatal police shootings in 2019. Of that, 14 unarmed Black victims and 25 unarmed white victims in 2019.

Now there's an inconvenient statistic that has to buried by the media at all costs.

misterID wrote:

They wear cameras now that records every encounter. Now civil rights activists want those cameras gone because it's been used too much to prove the perps lie in court and is considered an unfair advantage. That was one of the reforms they wanted!

Out of all this hypocritical nonsense coming from that movement, my favorite was a video of a protest where the crowd wants police defunded completely.

The crowd gets heated, they're fighting and then someone yells "Call the cops!!!" roll yikes

Unbelievable....

IRISH OS1R1S

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

James do you not believe the police need reform?

I don't trust those statistics myself.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

James do you not believe the police need reform?

I don't trust those statistics myself.

Of course there should be reform but it's not gonna be a one size fits all band aid. Different cities will require different solutions.

I do know one thing....

The answer is not defunding the police and giving looters and rapists carte blanche to burn cities to the ground.

Look at the shit that's transpired in Oregon and Washington. Disgraceful...and city government essentially gave them the seal of approval.

Board footer