You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: Current Events Thread

Smoking Guns wrote:

In this clip Bill says much of what Trump said for 4 years. Good clip.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

2022 and 2024 will be a blood bath if Biden continues down this path.

Why? This Co-vid bill was overwhelming in popularity. Biden's approval rating is higher than Trump's ever way even  at Trump's best by 10-20 points.

What do you base this stuff on?

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Popularity has a short shelf life, as time goes on the ugly shit of the bill will start to surface, especially if he continues to avoid interviews and the press turns on him.

A lot can change from now til then. But Biden should be kissing Sinema's ass for not allowing them to destroy the economy, because that minimum wage hike would have killed them for sure. The economy looks like it'll rebound, had they passed it the best estimates were over a million jobs lost and who knows how many small businesses lost.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

I fail to see how a higher minimum wage hurts the economy.

If anything it should lead to more money circulating through the economy as people earn more and hopefully as a result from that become more financially mobile. Long term it should reduce the amount of people who depend on any benefits from the state too. Too many jobs pay the same they did 10-15 years ago and inflation has reduced the effective spending power for people who are in those jobs. Obviously with a hike in wages you have concerns about the rate of inflation increasing but in the short and medium term that can be managed. It's a balancing act and at some point wages need to be given a kick to catch up.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

fail to see how a higher minimum wage hurts the economy.

Small businesses barely scraping by can't afford to pay workers 15 bucks an hour.

A minimum wage hike is basically advocating a corporate takeover....which is the main reason I'm surprised it didn't happen.

Axl S

Axl S wrote:
James wrote:

fail to see how a higher minimum wage hurts the economy.

Small businesses barely scraping by can't afford to pay workers 15 bucks an hour.

A minimum wage hike is basically advocating a corporate takeover....which is the main reason I'm surprised it didn't happen.

Perhaps structure it so that there are certain exemptions for small businesses or so that it only targets corporations of 100 or more employees? Either way other countries have higher a minimum wage and have functioning small businesses. Not saying this is a simple stuff but other countries have done this and been fine. The US definitely lags on these things, and raising minimum wage is a proposed solution to a real problem. If it's going to be shot down, then other solutions need to be proposed.

misterID

misterID wrote:

You can't really compare our economy with other nations, it's like apples and oranges because of population/dynamcs. Once you raise the overhead of businesses, that cost then spreads out to everything, from grocery stores, to deliveries, construction, materials, housing, utilities, the cost of everything rises to offset those increased wages. Raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour, the cost of living rises and completely evaporates whatever advantages you thought you'd get from it. Then the argument goes to $25 an hour. That's why the most progressive cities who already have a higher minimum wage still have the worst issues with poverty and income disparities. It'll cause cost cuts, full time employees going to part time, more kiosks, etc.

It would be wiser to do away with food stamps for the working poor and just subsidize their wages with it. You could add $3-5 dollars an hour to paychecks and force companies to raise their wages to at least $10 an hour for their low tax rates and you don't destabilize the economy.

I was reading a progressive economist yesterday and he was like, yeah there will be job loss and businesses will go under, but oh well, it's worth it... While not even addressing the real life consequences of that move. Ideology trumps pragmatism, and I hate that about politics.

Axl S

Axl S wrote:
misterID wrote:

You can't really compare our economy with other nations, it's like apples and oranges because of population/dynamcs. Once you raise the overhead of businesses, that cost then spreads out to everything, from grocery stores, to deliveries, construction, materials, housing, utilities, the cost of everything rises to offset those increased wages. Raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour, the cost of living rises and completely evaporates whatever advantages you thought you'd get from it. Then the argument goes to $25 an hour. That's why the most progressive cities who already have a higher minimum wage still have the worst issues with poverty and income disparities. It'll cause cost cuts, full time employees going to part time, more kiosks, etc.

It would be wiser to do away with food stamps for the working poor and just subsidize their wages with it. You could add $3-5 dollars an hour to paychecks and force companies to raise their wages to at least $10 an hour for their low tax rates and you don't destabilize the economy.

I was reading a progressive economist yesterday and he was like, yeah there will be job loss and businesses will go under, but oh well, it's worth it... While not even addressing the real life consequences of that move. Ideology trumps pragmatism, and I hate that about politics.

I think whatever solutions are implemented only work if they're in tandem with other solutions. Like you say costs of living for certain things go up - only solution to that I see is schemes that reduce the need to spend money on those things/reduces their costs. It's a fine balancing act for sure.

It could be a means tested minimum wage where the means that are being tested are the health, size and recent profitability of the business? Either way, gotta address these issues somehow. Just dropping the proposals and adding nothing to address the problem they were meant to solve is the worst of both worlds.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Yeah, there are ways to fix this. When I looked into the idea of subsidizing wages I was shocked to learn it was something Nixon wanted to do before Watergate.

Board footer