You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Current Events Thread

misterID wrote:

If Twitter is any indication, the media is going to be brutal and fully supportive of Newsom.

There is another guy, I can't think of his name, but he was in the Trump administration who's considering running for CA governor. He was the first openly gay person to serve in a presidential administration, so that might be news.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
bigbri wrote:

People will think I’m crazy, but the evidence is pretty clear, and you are starting to hear scientists say it: The extinction of our species is imminent. I certainly won’t be here, but in 100 years, I don’t think humanity will exist as it does now. Maybe small pockets of “survivors,” but I think that’s doubtful. It’s not sea rise that will kill us, it’s our destruction of the food chain.

Even in a worst case scenario, it might take centuries for humans to go extinct. We're an apex predator bordering on a parasite.

Like you said... small pockets ...but if they can somehow ride it out, the species has a chance.

Even Musk believes we have the potential to enter a dark age in our lifetimes. I think he walked it back but the point stands. It's why he wants to speed up the process when it comes to a manned mission to Mars. If we don't go soon, we may never go.

It's why I wish we could increase NASA's budget and increase the rate that we send out probes to the moons of Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune. It would be great to find out if there's other life out there before it's too late.

If/when civilization collapses, it will be difficult to restart one down the road. All the easy resources to get are gone.  Not only would they have to reinvent the tech to utilize the resources, they'd have to do it even better to get even less.

The world needed to start tackling this in the 80s. It could've been amazing. It might have led to various leaps in texh....and sped up the use of others.

Thanks to big Oil and our politicians, we kicked the can down the road and we're now staring at the abyss.

Have you read The Uninhabitable Earth? Scary shit.

The feedback loops are insane. We're in for one hell of a ride.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

I’d like like to talk about the prospect of social engineering for the moment.

I think I’m in favor of accelerating the process of creating an inclusive society especially economically. Even if we can’t predict all of the initial ramifications.

I don’t know why but James’ post awhile back about how our generation’s days are limited in terms of just recognizing the world. If there is a SoCal engineering going on, it’s simply a rapid escalation of something that probably should occur if we believe in a certain set of values.

Should my personal feelings about this accelerate or delay this process? That’s something i wrestle with...

BUT...in the mean time...every time i turn on ESPN there are 3-5 women talking about any imagine-able sports topic that has nothing to do with any analysis. It’s just air filler...

News casts are designed to inflame emotion...does it make me sexist to say one gender may react to this more than the other?

WWE is featuring women more and more and it seems at least feasible that women will be the featured aspect of the program very soon....main event of wrestlemania being a woman’s match...

A lot of this was accelerated by the trump era.

I think we’ll find that Trump is the last gasp of a dying octogenarian breed.

What do you do with the fact that apparently the Economics back up tapping these financial investments in  women? Is ESPN thriving or in transition? Is WWE pandering or onto something?  Can a newscast survive just delivering the facts? Is there any version of integrity while we all jockey for position?

misterID

misterID wrote:

I think you guys think too much, just like every generation before us thought *this* was the end times. Twenty years ago they were predicting the polar ice caps would be gone and life was doomed. At this point, environmentalists are becoming that preacher who comes along predicting the world is ending and he's got the date. Nature is going to do what nature does, and nature adapts. The green energy sector is just as bad as the fossil fuel industry -- they're corporations with lobbying groups, etc., but with far reaching hands in media -- many media heads are investors in these companies.

I believe in a clean environment, I'm a conservationist, but we're not doomed. Every year America gets a greener footprint. Next gen nuclear is here, fusion is not far off (why are green energy companies and their paid cronies so against nuclear? -- money). It amazes me we can call out the corruption, lies and greed of the fossil fuel industry but not the green industry, who are also run by the same greedy, money-grubbing corporations.

Btw, ESPN and WWE ratings are at historic lows. Trump has nothing to do with any of this.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

I think you guys think too much, just like every generation before us thought *this* was the end times. Twenty years ago they were predicting the polar ice caps would be gone and life was doomed. At this point, environmentalists are becoming that preacher who comes along predicting the world is ending and he's got the date. Nature is going to do what nature does, and nature adapts. The green energy sector is just as bad as the fossil fuel industry -- they're corporations with lobbying groups, etc., but with far reaching hands in media -- many media heads are investors in these companies.

I believe in a clean environment, I'm a conservationist, but we're not doomed. Every year America gets a greener footprint. Next gen nuclear is here, fusion is not far off (why are green energy companies and their paid cronies so against nuclear? -- money). It amazes me we can call out the corruption, lies and greed of the fossil fuel industry but not the green industry, who are also run by the same greedy, money-grubbing corporations.

Btw, ESPN and WWE ratings are at historic lows. Trump has nothing to do with any of this.

Trump does have something to do with WWE literally...

Trumps approach helped groom a consumer who was against traditional consumers.

Big business is betting on this...there’s no denying it.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Trump has as much to do with WWE as Pete Rose. And it was a blanket assessment. He's become liberals Lucifer, they see him everywhere and he's responsible for everything.

I have no idea what your point is about a new business model. Everyone knows ESPN stays afloat because of Disney, that's why they continue to fire people and shrink it. WWE makes money because of Peacock and their licensing.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

Trump has as much to do with WWE as Pete Rose. And it was a blanket assessment. He's become liberals Lucifer, they see him everywhere and he's responsible for everything.

I have no idea what your point is about a new business model. Everyone knows ESPN stays afloat because of Disney, that's why they continue to fire people and shrink it. WWE makes money because of Peacock and their licensing.

So this companies have to do something with that money right? They won’t just sit on it right? And it seems as though they have already created a business model if they not?

misterID

misterID wrote:

What? Is this about focusing on women or talking about things you're not interested in? The libraries of these companies are far more profitable than the current product. That's the point.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

What? Is this about focusing on women or talking about things you're not interested in? The libraries of these companies are far more profitable than the current product. That's the point.

Libraries that no one will care about...Why would you buy a library that you have to edit almost half the shit out of?

I’m just saying if you want a conspiracy theory then I would wrap it around empowering women financially and then creating markets out of their new found economic power.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Again, I don't think you thought this out too clearly or I'm just completely missing your point. ESPN's biggest ratings come from their docu-series, like the one about Jordan. NBC immediately started playing WWE legend biographies on A&E (clearly trying to tap into Dark Side of the Ring) and a show about finding lost wrestling props/gear. Peacock and Disney streaming of old matches/programs and new series based on the past are profitable.

If I get what you're saying, ESPN gets good press on being diverse and woke, but viewership is shit. That doesn't matter when they're not making money on the current product but their libraries.

Board footer