You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Re: Current Events Thread

misterID wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Plenty of things about US labor law, I don’t like. H1Bs and outsourcing being #1. But if your argument is we need to pay people more to make an inflated unemployment compensation untenable, I’m going to disagree. In my state, combining federal and state unemployment equals about 55k a year. A waitress shouldn’t expect to make that for her labor.

My argument isn't about unemployment checks/stats, it's about wages in general. I don't think there should be a "working poor." If we don't want to raise minimum wage because it hampers job/business growth, then we should seriously consider subsidizing wages for the poor, low wage, or anyone making less than $12 an hour. I mean, we already kind of do with an earned income tax credit. Wisconsin was literally paying companies to come in and hire workers. If you instituted a robotics, AI, automation tax, closed the loop holes companies like Nike use to outsource, placed an internet sales tax on Amazon and Wal-Mart size companies, it could easily be paid for.

Automation is coming and there’s a very important discussion to have about that and preparing for it. But using unemployment to increase a person’s income to exceed prepandemic levels isn’t a discussion anyone has had or voted on. Let the market bare what it bares and then we can have a discussion.

Employers should always make themselves as attractive as they can to recruit the best talent. That’s why a waiter a Ruth’s Chris can go home with several hundred dollars a night, while the waiter at Denny’s leaves with $60 after an 8 hour shift.

I’m all about a federal jobs program that helps people develop a skill. I support Warren’s wealth tax. I just don’t think handing people middle class income to staty at home is something that should be encouraged, and find the separate argument that it somehow demonstrates poor pay for fair labor inaccurate. Every state is different, but at the height of the pandemic, PA was paying the unemployed $1100 a week. It’s closer to 900 now with the federal decrease, but that’s still  47k a year or $22.5 an hour. To stay at home. And so nothing. I don’t fault people for being people, but denying that it’s harmful to the jobs market is to be intellectually dishonest.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
misterID wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Plenty of things about US labor law, I don’t like. H1Bs and outsourcing being #1. But if your argument is we need to pay people more to make an inflated unemployment compensation untenable, I’m going to disagree. In my state, combining federal and state unemployment equals about 55k a year. A waitress shouldn’t expect to make that for her labor.

My argument isn't about unemployment checks/stats, it's about wages in general. I don't think there should be a "working poor." If we don't want to raise minimum wage because it hampers job/business growth, then we should seriously consider subsidizing wages for the poor, low wage, or anyone making less than $12 an hour. I mean, we already kind of do with an earned income tax credit. Wisconsin was literally paying companies to come in and hire workers. If you instituted a robotics, AI, automation tax, closed the loop holes companies like Nike use to outsource, placed an internet sales tax on Amazon and Wal-Mart size companies, it could easily be paid for.

Automation is coming and there’s a very important discussion to have about that and preparing for it. But using unemployment to increase a person’s income to exceed prepandemic levels isn’t a discussion anyone has had or voted on. Let the market bare what it bares and then we can have a discussion.

Employers should always make themselves as attractive as they can to recruit the best talent. That’s why a waiter a Ruth’s Chris can go home with several hundred dollars a night, while the waiter at Denny’s leaves with $60 after an 8 hour shift.

I’m all about a federal jobs program that helps people develop a skill. I support Warren’s wealth tax. I just don’t think handing people middle class income to staty at home is something that should be encouraged, and find the separate argument that it somehow demonstrates poor pay for fair labor inaccurate. Every state is different, but at the height of the pandemic, PA was paying the unemployed $1100 a week. It’s closer to 900 now with the federal decrease, but that’s still  47k a year or $22.5 an hour. To stay at home. And so nothing. I don’t fault people for being people, but denying that it’s harmful to the jobs market is to be intellectually dishonest.

I agree. I am over the stay at home shit. Everyone has had a chance to get the vaccine, time to get back to work and be somebody.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets … d=msedgdhp

Also CNN is starting to call out the Biden lies. This could get fun.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Got my second shot Friday afternoon, Moderna. Went good, in & out, no line whatsoever at Philly's Convention Center, their large wholesale shot place. Wasn't sick but was very tired Monday & Tuesday, not sure if it was a result of it.

I can agree with you Flagg, $1100 week was high, was that the blanket amount?  Like even people working $10/hr in retail were getting that?

It's amusing how 2 years ago Andrew Yang was considered wacky for suggesting a base income to all, yet here we are. It's been a crazy year+ but I think it's ending and we've seen the light at the end of the tunnel. Could be a bad flu/sick season next winter, let's hope these variants don't spread outta control and we don't need boosters again anytime soon. Restaurants & bars will likely struggle a bit in the wintertime, not sure I'd go out to eat in Dec/Jan etc, but glad it's ending.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

Even more interesting, this Republican Civil War is on full display right now. One way or another Trump is going to be the downfall of this iteration of the republican party.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Could be a bad flu/sick season next winter, let's hope these variants don't spread outta control and we don't need boosters again anytime soon. Restaurants & bars will likely struggle a bit in the wintertime, not sure I'd go out to eat in Dec/Jan etc, but glad it's ending.

Booster shots are going to be a thing, and public figures really shout be getting that message out so that folk don't think they're forever safe after one vaccination. Already talk in the UK of the booster shot rollout beginning in September.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Even more interesting, this Republican Civil War is on full display right now. One way or another Trump is going to be the downfall of this iteration of the republican party.

This is insane.  Liz Chaney is not a liberal.  She is an old school Republican.  She is getting "punished" because she doesn't believe in the big lie that is being peddled and chooses to live in reality.

McCarthy looks like a weak and awful leader on this.

PaSnow wrote:

Got my second shot Friday afternoon, Moderna. Went good, in & out, no line whatsoever at Philly's Convention Center, their large wholesale shot place. Wasn't sick but was very tired Monday & Tuesday, not sure if it was a result of it.

I can agree with you Flagg, $1100 week was high, was that the blanket amount?  Like even people working $10/hr in retail were getting that?

It's amusing how 2 years ago Andrew Yang was considered wacky for suggesting a base income to all, yet here we are. It's been a crazy year+ but I think it's ending and we've seen the light at the end of the tunnel. Could be a bad flu/sick season next winter, let's hope these variants don't spread outta control and we don't need boosters again anytime soon. Restaurants & bars will likely struggle a bit in the wintertime, not sure I'd go out to eat in Dec/Jan etc, but glad it's ending.

I'm going for my second shot tomorrow (Pfizer).  Glad it wasn't today since I had allergies and had to take an antihistamine last night.

I think there should be some sort of stipend/cost of living adjustment for people in low paying jobs just to reach above the poverty level.  That being said, there is something totally wrong with the system if you could collect unemployment and it was still more than you made working.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

Shocking....Republicans no longer seem interested infrastructure Bill.

It’s like Lucy and Charlie Brown with the football.

They’re running out the clock until the mid terms. That’s the only goal here.

How do you negotiate with people who refuse to raise any taxes, refuse to take on debt and won’t vote for it anyway?

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Shocking....Republicans no longer seem interested infrastructure Bill.

It’s like Lucy and Charlie Brown with the football.

They’re running out the clock until the mid terms. That’s the only goal here.

How do you negotiate with people who refuse to raise any taxes, refuse to take on debt and won’t vote for it anyway?

Mitch, this is EXACTLY what Democrats did. They stopped a stimulus/recovery bill where Trump was pushing $2,000 checks! They wanted to funnel hundreds of billions to blue state governments and liberal groups so Pelosi stalled it until after the election. And it's exactly what they did. They stopped a police reform bill from even being brought up for a vote simply because they didn't want to give him a victory. And it amazes me people are treating Liz Cheney as a hero. She's a war hawk, she still thinks Iraq was a great idea. She's the very caricature of a heartless, greedy right winger -- she's being replaced by a moderate (who actually hated Trump) who wants to give dreamers a path to citizenship, which Cheney doesn't.

And, it's not exactly the way the media is portraying it. Republicans protected her once before, very easily, but warned her to stop talking about Trump, stop going on tv talking about Trump, the less he's talked about the better it is for Republicans in certain districts, but she wouldn't stop. There's a great politico article about how disliked she is, and it has nothing to do with Trump. I say good riddance.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

slashsfro wrote:

I'm going for my second shot tomorrow (Pfizer).  Glad it wasn't today since I had allergies and had to take an antihistamine last night.

Awesome guys! And yeah, exhaustion is a big side effect, I think it's exacerbated by allergies, too.

Board footer