You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Re: Current Events Thread

Fair point.  I really liked Biden's honesty yesterday when he labeled voting laws that require ID like every other western nation, to the greatest threat we've faced since the civil war.  I know when I think of bondage and slavery, I immediately think of producing a government issued ID when I exercise my rights.  I'm just glad our President finally recognizes that forcing background checks and photo ID to exercise the 2nd amendment is akin to slavery.  I'm sure you agree, Mitch.  Forcing someone to verify their identity is the same as putting them in chains and forcing them to be treated as property.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Fair point.  I really liked Biden's honesty yesterday when he compared voting laws that require ID like every other western nation the greatest threat we've faced since the civil war.  I know when i think of bondage and slavery, I immediately think of producing a government issued ID when I exercise my rights.  I'm just glad our President finally recognizes that forcing background checks and photo ID to exercise the 2nd amendment is akin to slavery.  I'm sure you agree, Mitch.  Forcing someone to verify their identity is the same as putting them in chains and forcing them to be treated as property.

I'm sure this is just dripping with sarcasm.

Again, this is a solution in search of a problem. You had no problem with it when the Republicans in Wisconsin reduced Milwaukee to 12 polling locations last year. There are more polling places in rural counties than there are in the entire city of Milwaukee.

In almost any other situation, you'd have to provide proof that there was an actual problem to solve. If you refused to read between the lines and admit that these rules are applied unevenly every time Republicans harp on new voting laws then I've got nothing for ya...

You are a patriot and I'm an awe of your patriotism, I guess...

Randall Flagg

I have no idea what happened in Wisconsin last year, but I'm going to take your version of events with a grain of salt.  If you're going to chime in with all the free time you have to talk about fear mongering, you at least have to recognize that the US President calling voter ID laws in 2021 "Jim Crow on Steroids" or "The greatest threat to our democracy since the Civil War" carries a little more weight than some pundit on a new channel at noon.  If you don't, or refuse to, don't be surprised when no one agrees with your lopsided rhetoric.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

I have no idea what happened in Wisconsin last year, but I'm going to take your version of events with a grain of salt.  If you're going to chime in with all the free time you have to talk about fear mongering, you at least have to recognize that the US President calling voter ID laws in 2021 "Jim Crow on Steroids" or "The greatest threat to our democracy since the Civil War" carries a little more weight than some pundit on a new channel at noon.  If you don't, or refuse to, don't be surprised when no one agrees with your lopsided rhetoric.

See...that's the problem...you agree with the rules apparently but don't care or know how they're unevenly applied and it's obvious to me what the intent of these laws really are....

Republicans don't have the raw numbers so they have to create rules to widdle away selectively at certain voters. Inner city voters, poor voters...that's who these voting laws rules target. It's all under the guise of....'oh gee...see how simple and fair a voter ID is...'

The same people who advocate these voting rules are the same ones purging 100s of thousands of voters off of voting rolls right before every election.

What you always fail to mention is that all these 'other democracies' make this process easy on people and if they insist on voter ID they make sure you get one. They don't put up barriers like closing DMVs while simultaneously making it more difficult to vote.

You can't commit to making obtaining these voter IDs easy. You're not in favor of making election days holidays so everyone can participate. You seem totally fine with the paltry participation in these elections already...

but see how reasonable you are...voter ID is just sooo reasonable....

Randall Flagg

mitchejw wrote:

You can't commit to making obtaining these voter IDs easy. You're not in favor of making election days holidays so everyone can participate. You seem totally fine with the paltry participation in these elections already...

Can you cite a single time I've said any of that?  I've asked you before not to conjure arguments on my behalf.  I'm going to do so again.  If you can't abide by that simple request, then there's no point in replying to anything you say.  You came here to bitch about Fox News, claiming they're spreading fear, while the President of the United States is comparing voter ID laws to Jim Crow on Steroids (in case you forgot, Jim Crow was the democratic laws passed in the American South that treated non-whites as 2nd class citizens and held them to different legal standards and denied them access to public places.)  He then doubled down and compared it to the Civil War, where 800k+ people died and blacks were considered property.  And you're worried about some pundit on Fox News.  Which comments are more hyperbolic and who carries more authority?

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Can you cite a single time I've said any of that?  I've asked you before not to conjure arguments on my behalf.  I'm going to do so again.  If you can't abide by that simple request, then there's no point in replying to anything you say.  You came here to bitch about Fox News, claiming they're spreading fear, while the President of the United States is comparing voter ID laws to Jim Crow on Steroids (in case you forgot, Jim Crow was the democratic laws passed in the American South that treated non-whites as 2nd class citizens and held them to different legal standards and denied them access to public places.)  He then doubled down and compared it to the Civil War, where 800k+ people died and blacks were considered property.  And you're worried about some pundit on Fox News.  Which comments are more hyperbolic and who carries more authority?

I see...so you don't address my OP. You change the topic. You bash the president over his statement regarding voting.

Is this what you want me to respond to? You didn't acknowledge anything I said and rarely do...you immediately changed the topic either to be cheeky or just bash me.

If you insist on not giving a shit about who gets to vote and who doesn't (likely bc you know you will vote)...then there really isn't anything to discuss here. You can go on living the dream about this being greatest country with the greatest democracy with a national election participation rate that rarely goes above 50%.

Is it fair to assume that you don't care about participation rates? Is it fair to assume that you don't care that so few people vote in this country? Is it fair to assume that you easily cherry pick the issue of 'voter id'?

You tell me...because you changed the topic.

Roughly 80-85% of the states with the highest turnout vote Democrat. Is it just a coincidence? Go through the top 25 states of highest voter participation you tell me. Is it safe to assume that you don't believe voters in these states vote legally? Are you questioning the validity of these voters? You tell me. I have to assume all the time with you.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:

Exactly the response I expected Flagg...pivot...turn...exit...

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

What is going on with the IRS? It started last year. Everything was taking longer and longer. This year...I can't even get anyone to answer the phone. I've sent out 2 4506T forms to the IRS in May in June. Two years ago you'd get a response within 10 business days. I've been waiting 4 months for a response to even the most basic questions.

IRS doesn’t have enough people. My step dad has clients still waiting on their 2019 tax refund.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

What is going on with the IRS? It started last year. Everything was taking longer and longer. This year...I can't even get anyone to answer the phone. I've sent out 2 4506T forms to the IRS in May in June. Two years ago you'd get a response within 10 business days. I've been waiting 4 months for a response to even the most basic questions.

IRS doesn’t have enough people. My step dad has clients still waiting on their 2019 tax refund.

He also can hardly get anyone on the phone. Says it is terrible.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Looks like AJC is backing up this story of Fraud in Fulton County.

Board footer