You are not logged in. Please register or login.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

Re: Current Events Thread

mitchejw wrote:

Oh so now we’ve switched topics and I’ve somehow defended Texas Democrats who left the state. And somehow I’m loosely responsible for the spread of Co-vid. Something that’s only taken  seriously by the right when Dems spread it.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

No one accused you of any of that.  But assuming they did, how does it feel to have someone completely ignore what you've written only to accuse you of things you explicitly denounced or never even addressed in the post they didn't bother to read?  You know, like you saying anyone here supported January 6th or thinks it was okay or acceptable in any fashion.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

No one accused you of any of that.  But assuming they did, how does it feel to have someone completely ignore what you've written only to accuse you of things you explicitly denounced or never even addressed in the post they didn't bother to read?  You know, like you saying anyone here supported January 6th or thinks it was okay or acceptable in any fashion.

It just comes off as…i dunno…disingenuous…

Most of you can’t talk about Jan 6 without bringing up BLM, antifa and the riots last summer.

You can’t talk about it without excusing it for one reason or another.

If you use 100 words denouncing something and then 10,000 minimizing it then i think i know where you stand.

Randall Flagg

No one is minimalizing anything, just refuting your narrative it was a "coup". 

Coup - "a sudden and decisive action in politics, especially one resulting in a change of government illegally or by force."

It's also perfectly reasonable to point out that a "coup" (i'm using this in the same manner you were) was launched against the President of the United States with many more rioters, whom was forced into a security bunker.  It's also fair to point out that Democratic leaders stood in solidarity and knelt with the leaders of the "coup" a day after it happened.  2 billion dollars in damage was caused by the George Floyd inspired riots last year.  25 people were killed.  And one political party chose to have the leaders of this group share their stage at their national convention, and people like you denied any of this occurred (and apparently are still denying it).

If you don't understand why allowing 2 billion in property damage, riots in State Capitol Buildings (https://www.cleveland.com/crime/2020/05 … floyd.html), and countless violent assaults and 25 deaths resulted in a bunch of idiots rioting in the poorly guarded Capitol, there's nothing to discuss.  You want the narrative to be completely about January 6th, want to embellish what occurred on January 6th, and use it to justify a bunch of behaviors and laws your party and its leaders decried a few weeks earlier.  You can't feign outrage when people who have put more effort into educating themselves on what's been going on since Memorial day 2020 opine and consider events you refuse to acknowledge if not outright deny.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Right...one group who wishes to overturn an election result is equal to a group of street hoodlums.

What about the Texas reps that are obstructing democracy by leaving their state preventing the legislative branch from operating? Isn’t that what the people of January 6th were accused of?

Nah, they're assholes who didn't adhere to masking while flying and now have infected at least 6 people with COVID, but that's a far cry from rioting in the Capitol.  One is a federal crime, while the other is just douchey.  Not the same game, let alone same ballpark.

Nothing that happened on January 6th was remotely ok or acceptable. It’s just really hard to be taken seriously when people kept their head in the sand for 7 months, pulled it out for one day, then immediately put their head back in the sand are claiming they have an informed, let alone objective view of political violence in America and who has fostered and encouraged it.

The crime the people from Jan 6th was a lot to do with preventing democracy. The Texas clowns are preventing democracy.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Jan 6th was a clown show of clown shows with help from the inside as we all know.

Randall Flagg

Smoking Guns wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

What about the Texas reps that are obstructing democracy by leaving their state preventing the legislative branch from operating? Isn’t that what the people of January 6th were accused of?

Nah, they're assholes who didn't adhere to masking while flying and now have infected at least 6 people with COVID, but that's a far cry from rioting in the Capitol.  One is a federal crime, while the other is just douchey.  Not the same game, let alone same ballpark.

Nothing that happened on January 6th was remotely ok or acceptable. It’s just really hard to be taken seriously when people kept their head in the sand for 7 months, pulled it out for one day, then immediately put their head back in the sand are claiming they have an informed, let alone objective view of political violence in America and who has fostered and encouraged it.

The crime the people from Jan 6th was a lot to do with preventing democracy. The Texas clowns are preventing democracy.

Then when when Democrats filibustered for 4 years, they were stopping Democracy.  When Republicans do it, they're stopping democracy.  No, stopping Democracy is trying to overturn an election because you believe a bunch of unfounded conspiracies espoused by a man who couldn't articulate a coherent sentence if you held a gun to his childrens' heads. 

You're losing me if you think in any way, shape or form what Texas Democrats are doing is akin to what vile pieces of shit did on January 6th, you're ignoring all the context, nuance and precedent Mitch is ignoring.

GOP members of Oregon's legislature did the same thing 2 years ago: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Oreg … %20Winters.  Were they stopping democracy?

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

No one is minimalizing anything, just refuting your narrative it was a "coup". 

Coup - "a sudden and decisive action in politics, especially one resulting in a change of government illegally or by force."

It's also perfectly reasonable to point out that a "coup" (i'm using this in the same manner you were) was launched against the President of the United States with many more rioters, whom was forced into a security bunker.  It's also fair to point out that Democratic leaders stood in solidarity and knelt with the leaders of the "coup" a day after it happened.  2 billion dollars in damage was caused by the George Floyd inspired riots last year.  25 people were killed.  And one political party chose to have the leaders of this group share their stage at their national convention, and people like you denied any of this occurred (and apparently are still denying it).

If you don't understand why allowing 2 billion in property damage, riots in State Capitol Buildings (https://www.cleveland.com/crime/2020/05 … floyd.html), and countless violent assaults and 25 deaths resulted in a bunch of idiots rioting in the poorly guarded Capitol, there's nothing to discuss.  You want the narrative to be completely about January 6th, want to embellish what occurred on January 6th, and use it to justify a bunch of behaviors and laws your party and its leaders decried a few weeks earlier.  You can't feign outrage when people who have put more effort into educating themselves on what's been going on since Memorial day 2020 opine and consider events you refuse to acknowledge if not outright deny.

Dude…i don’t acknowledge too many of the alleged ‘facts’ the make up the foundation of f your point of view.

You choose the sources that you believe in…i don’t give them credence. I especially don’t understand why you would both shit on the same  media sources that you simultaneously use to support your arguments. Which is it?

You refused to acknowledge the involvement of right wing groups like that boogaloo boys and others’ involvement in what happened last summer because it simply doesn’t fit your narrative. It’s a clever thing the right has gotten away with…labeling their disorganized and feckless enemies into one category….antifa. It’s an extremely vague word and intentionally so. Anyone that disagrees with Trump is antifa…anyone that gets in the rights way is antifa.

If you refuse to acknowledge all the players in what happened last summer then I’ve got nothing for ya.

Randall Flagg

I'm aware, but people aren't allowed to select their own facts.  Things are factual or they're not, and if you refuse to do a basic amount of research to validate something happened, or that a political leader said something there is video evidence of, I don't know what to tell you.  You denied Antifa existed all last summer, and repeatedly tried to blame the riots on Proud Boys or White Supremacist.  It didn't matter that there were over 10k riots/protests last year and countless videos of the destruction.

You can call them "alleged" till you're blue in the face, but that doesn't negate their presence in our shared world.  Words have definitions, and you don't get to change them because you want something to fall under its severity.  Point in case "insurrection" or "coup".  You can do the SG game and go super basic and claim that if I shot you in self defense, and you shot someone in cold blood, we're both murderers.  But we're all supposed to be adults here with decades of adult experience aware of nuance and context.

I'm going to ask one last time that you quit making up posts or claims I've said.  I've never denied the existence of far right groups, and even said that they were a direct response to Antifa because one didn't exist until years after the other.  You can find countless videos of Proud Boys fighting with Antifa.  A quick forum search will show you that I condemned them and warned that if we didn't stop the violence, it would escalate.  It has with both Antifa and Proud Boys killing the other.  That doesn't mean because you read on some fringe site (it's clear your homepage is yahoo and you only click the links their algorithm has tailored to you)  in May of 2020 that Minneapolis was started by Proud Boys and not the 2000 people with BLM boards, that I have to accept that against the countless other more accurate articles and video evidence.  You literally just asked us what Antifa looks like, because you've intentionally avoided being informed on the issue.  This isn't a matter of opinion, it's a matter of fact.  So if you're going to continue to ignore the shared reality we live in, conjure up statements I not only never made, but said the exact opposite of what you claim, I have no reason to engage with you. 

Your call if you want to have a discussion, or if you want to just repeat what you think you remember happening 15 months earlier and accuse others of supporting acts you yourself celebrated.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Then when when Democrats filibustered for 4 years, they were stopping Democracy.  When Republicans do it, they're stopping democracy.  No, stopping Democracy is trying to overturn an election because you believe a bunch of unfounded conspiracies espoused by a man who couldn't articulate a coherent sentence if you held a gun to his childrens' heads. 

You're losing me if you think in any way, shape or form what Texas Democrats are doing is akin to what vile pieces of shit did on January 6th, you're ignoring all the context, nuance and precedent Mitch is ignoring.

GOP members of Oregon's legislature did the same thing 2 years ago: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Oreg … %20Winters.  Were they stopping democracy?

Then the house or Senate can do the same at the federal level every time shit doesn’t go their way.

Jan. 6th was bad but it is way down the line on the worst shit that every happened in US history. It was not an armed insurrection. The only person shot was unarmed Ashli Babbit. It should have never happened and was allowed to happen. Jan 6th is an over hyped story but it was still a shot show. I would say maybe 100 folks had bad intentions and the others were just along for the ride.

One unarmed man in the Capitol that didn’t hurt anyone or destroy anything got 8 months in jail and the main charge was disrupting democracy.

Board footer