You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Current Events Thread

misterID wrote:

I think that's the majority opinion for most Americans. There are genuine reasons why an abortion is needed, but aborting a healthy fetus at a term of pregnancy when it's not a gob of goo, especially with today's tech that gives such incredible images of a baby in the womb, and when science says they feel pain, it's really hard to justify, imo.

And it's with this tech that can show when a fetus has a horrible condition that will cause a low quality of life. Those are agonizing decisions. Should babies be aborted specifically because they have down syndrome? That is tough.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I found when I had my daughter the conversation with my wife's female doctor was kinda creepy.

Like we go to the doctor to confirm the pregnancy. I come in cos we're kinda going in as a couple and I think my wife thought it would be nice to introduce me.

Doctor confirms the pregnancy. Asks what we want to do about it.

For us the pregnancy was 100% intentional and planned pregnancy so of course we wanna keep....

But what has haunted me ever since was that the entire demeanour of the doctor changed. She had been all clinical - like confirming there was a pregnancy deadpan the way you would announce a blood test for anything else. The second we said keep she moved into sort of a bubbly "one of the girls" bedside mannor and starts instantly referring to the baby as a person...like and asking me if I'm going to paint the a nursery...if I have names picked out...if I'm excited or if I'll miss having sleep all the kinda friendly bedside manner you want really....

She didn't start acting like this 3 months down the road or 10 weeks down or 2 trimesters on or whatever...she started from 2 seconds after the words about keeping the baby came out of my mouth...

But I could never get out of my mind that if we had picked the other option (never on the cards for us at all) she would have had an entirely different approach to the conversation and no doubt been very professional about it and so on....

But there's something that doesn't sit right about that in my brain. It's like the doctor isn't saying there's an objective baby or not - it's just purely subjective - it's a baby if I say yes, and it's cells if I say no. Don't mean to disrespect anyone and I know people can argue the science of this stuff back and forth but just on a philosophical level that didn't add up to me. There needs to be an objective thing that is inside my wife...

Anyways...so I'm pro-life these days but yeah I do agree that it would need to be within the context of a proper social framework to support all the extra people we'll have.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Yeah, it's totally different when it's hypothetical. I hate to admit it, but I've had two pregnancy scares, and the first thing that popped in my mind was for her to get an abortion. Both of these girls, one way more politically conscience than the other, had been adamant they didn't want children. The moment it became a possibility that completely changed.

But like you said, when does it become a baby? When and who gets to determine that? And is it just on a whim? Is it a baby until it's not, or if a woman suddenly regrets it late in her pregnancy?

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I found when I had my daughter the conversation with my wife's female doctor was kinda creepy.

Like we go to the doctor to confirm the pregnancy. I come in cos we're kinda going in as a couple and I think my wife thought it would be nice to introduce me.

Doctor confirms the pregnancy. Asks what we want to do about it.

For us the pregnancy was 100% intentional and planned pregnancy so of course we wanna keep....

But what has haunted me ever since was that the entire demeanour of the doctor changed. She had been all clinical - like confirming there was a pregnancy deadpan the way you would announce a blood test for anything else. The second we said keep she moved into sort of a bubbly "one of the girls" bedside mannor and starts instantly referring to the baby as a person...like and asking me if I'm going to paint the a nursery...if I have names picked out...if I'm excited or if I'll miss having sleep all the kinda friendly bedside manner you want really....

She didn't start acting like this 3 months down the road or 10 weeks down or 2 trimesters on or whatever...she started from 2 seconds after the words about keeping the baby came out of my mouth...

But I could never get out of my mind that if we had picked the other option (never on the cards for us at all) she would have had an entirely different approach to the conversation and no doubt been very professional about it and so on....

But there's something that doesn't sit right about that in my brain. It's like the doctor isn't saying there's an objective baby or not - it's just purely subjective - it's a baby if I say yes, and it's cells if I say no. Don't mean to disrespect anyone and I know people can argue the science of this stuff back and forth but just on a philosophical level that didn't add up to me. There needs to be an objective thing that is inside my wife...

Anyways...so I'm pro-life these days but yeah I do agree that it would need to be within the context of a proper social framework to support all the extra people we'll have.

I’ll tell you one thing, I would be pro life if it was part of our social framework to support these people. Having a child shouldn’t be punishment  for having sex one night.

We’re Struggling in this country with ensuring that humans out of the womb have their rights. How in the hell do we tackle this with a bal of cells?

I also truly feel that men’s opinions on this topic matter slightly less… The number of deadbeat fathers in this country who are pro life is astounding to me. I believe we had a house of representatives member here in Illinois who was adamantly pro life in his campaign but he abandoned all of his children over the course of his life… OK like how the fuck do you get to have a opinion on this?

misterID

misterID wrote:

That's really hyperbolic. The pro life movement is largely female. And there have been progressive pro choice men, like Jeffery Tubin on CNN, who tried to bully women into abortions.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

That's really hyperbolic. The pro life movement is largely female. And there have been progressive pro choice men, like Jeffery Tubin on CNN, who tried to bully women into abortions.

It’s my understanding that it’s largely religious and religion can be quite patriarchal…

Jeffrey Tubin sounds like a tool.

misterID

misterID wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:

It’s my understanding that it’s largely religious and religion can be quite patriarchal…

Jeffrey Tubin sounds like a tool.

There's definitely a big religious aspect, but I wouldn't call it patriarchal to pro lifers. They're even split on whether life begins at conception.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I lean prolife but definitely not religious.

It's a baby.... period. I don't give a damn how old it is... it's becoming a person if you don't kill it.

Just own it. No pussyfooting around... you're killing a baby.

Having said that, women have to be allowed that option. I don't know a way to appease both sides.

bigbri wrote:
James wrote:

Things are going to get interesting in Texas with that new abortion law.

Yikes.....

Texas? It’ll be every state led by the GOP. And I’m pretty sure we were repeatedly told here we were being hysterical for suggesting Trumps court would overturn Roe. Now they haven’t done that officially, but it’s basically done for all practical purposes. 6 weeks isn’t even enough time for a woman to figure out if she’s legitimately late

This country is in uncharted waters. It's like Alice through the looking glass.... we're in a fucked up big tech dystopia. Extremists on both sides pushing their own narrative while the plebes on both sides of the fence gobble it up as the divide grows.

Everything is political. Whether it's abortion, climate change, trans, education, gun control, Covid, list goes on.... There's two sides and no room for nuance.

This environment is what's allowing such things to happen. Abortion was always just a wedge issue during election years. Both sides knew no monumental changes could/would happen.... until now.

Abortion bans, girls have to use bathrooms with men, anyone can carry a gun anywhere, our cities are morphing into third world shit holes....

We're just getting started.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Rolling Stone a d MSNBC got caught pushing this lie and are refusing to admit it. The doctor quoted is even saying he never said this.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:

Look like Donald Trump is on the verge of announcing his run for 2024...what a joke....a classless human being who is totally motivated and fueled by selfishness...

He goes on Fox news every week, sometimes multiple times rambling incoherently. This is all to spend the next 3 years gaining revenge for his embarrassment.   

Will people point out that Trump will be older than Biden was when he ran in 2020? Nope....everyone will forget that.

A man announcing his run for presidency the same year he left it is so peculiar. That to me is a sign of dementia.

Trump was granted every courtesy upon his election in 2016, even though he was not elected with even a plurality of the popular vote. Trump's inability to return that favor and act graciously towards a President-elect who had received a majority of both the electoral and the popular vote shows his most corrosive effect on both the constitutional framework and the civic norms of the United States of America.

The time lost by the Biden Administration because a regular transition period and inauguration day did not happen, can not be recovered. It is a wonder that the current government of the USA has operated as well as it has, considering that it faced a domestic disturbance only surpassed by the secessionist crisis of 1860-1861.

Board footer