You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Re: Current Events Thread

misterID wrote:

Progressive America, expect less big_smile

*waiting for the "but Trump hvukvjhvihvuvivuyvjv!!!" response any second*

That’s the Washington Post. I know it’s an opinion piece, but that’s coming from the Washington Post. Not the daily beast or huffington. What world do we live in where bare shelves are a sign of progress?  I guess America is getting a taste of Sanders’s honeymoon.

Buttigieg was quoted yesterday trying to claim the supply chain issues are a result of Biden’s economy being too good. That’s no bullshit.

I’m just amazed that people who were glued to the TV in hysterics at Trump’s daily Twitter feed are completely ok with the President actually ruining our international standing and making the lives of the average American worse off. When inflation tops 15% next year, they’ll celebrate the extra .05 they added to the average workers paycheck and smile.

Sky Dog wrote:

Jimmy Carter’s back in office!

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Labor shortages? I find this article so interesting on this topic:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/worker-flori … 23909.html

What do you find interesting about it?  An unskilled, inexperienced worker who admitted he ran a Facebook group admonishing those who can’t get applicants for jobs, was “interviewed” by Business Insider. That alone makes both the subject and publisher suspect as an objective information source, but ok, to each their own. He then says he “applied” to 60 jobs, and received 9 emails and an interview. The places and jobs he applied for are never specified, save the garbage collection job paying $10 an hour.

Do you not feel his hostility towards working at any of these places since he specifically sought them out factored into his applications and demands?  Does his lack of any skill or education not speak to his worthiness of earning an unspecified wage over $12 an hour?

What did you find interesting about his story? 

Or was it his comment “ 58 applications says y'all aren't desperate for workers, you just miss your slaves." just a sentiment you agree with? 

I’ve read the article you posted, and don’t find it to be particularly interesting, and more importantly informative. The writer says so themselves:

“ Holz acknowledged, however, that his results may not be representative of the larger labor challenges in the country, since his search was local and specifically targeted the most vocal critics of stimulus spending.”

What I find interesting is that this entire article is predicated on a goof some random person on the internet did, and doesn’t really offer anything but animus to the notion that the restaurant industry isn’t struggling to find reliable wait staff, and/or their lack of applicants is due to poor pay under the unqualified assumption that every person should be paid at least “X” for their labor. I say “X” because the author nor interviewee ever state an appropriate wage for picking up trash. The popular slogan previously was $15, but the so called “squad” has already adjusted that number to $25+.

I say interesting because you say you want to participate in discussions, but often completely ignore the posts of people you’re choosing to engage with daily. You do you and all. I’m just genuinely curious what you found interesting about this article and what aspects of it you’d like to discuss.

I’ve clearly read the article you linked into this discussion and said you found interesting. I hope you’ll at least give some effort in responding since you want to be part of the discussion.

I’m not sure why you so easily reject certain people’s individual accounts of their experience within the economy.

Do you really think that people in entry level positions are so well vetted that they’re checking up on someone to the point that they know their personal beliefs and opinions? In this labor shortage, you’d think that short of a serious criminal background, you’d get hired just about anywhere for an entry level job.

I, myself, have experienced great difficulty in hiring this year. You’d think I’d be the Joe Manchin of the group.

The extra unemployment benefits expired a considerable time ago. Labors not coming back…it’s not as simple to say it’s a ‘Bernie Sanders’ dream.

I find it interesting because labor has a real chance to advance themselves and i think that’s good for the country. For 40 years we’ve grown accustomed to treating labor like shit. I say this to you as a business owner since 2008/2009.

Regarding engagement, you’ve done the same many, many times. In fact, I’ve modeled my approach to this thread after yours on many occasions. See something you don’t like? Don’t engage.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Are a trump cuck?

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

I tried.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

I tried.

How?

You’ve completely rejected my response.

Sky Dog wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Are a trump cuck?

Well, I grew up and have lived in Georgia since the 60’s when I was born. I like Jimmy Carter but his economy was atrocious just like the guy in office now who literally can’t get ANYTHING done.  Carter was actually highly intelligent….a trait your president lacks.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Labor shortages? I find this article so interesting on this topic:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/worker-flori … 23909.html

What do you find interesting about it?  An unskilled, inexperienced worker who admitted he ran a Facebook group admonishing those who can’t get applicants for jobs, was “interviewed” by Business Insider. That alone makes both the subject and publisher suspect as an objective information source, but ok, to each their own. He then says he “applied” to 60 jobs, and received 9 emails and an interview. The places and jobs he applied for are never specified, save the garbage collection job paying $10 an hour.

Do you not feel his hostility towards working at any of these places since he specifically sought them out factored into his applications and demands?  Does his lack of any skill or education not speak to his worthiness of earning an unspecified wage over $12 an hour?

Or was it his comment “ 58 applications says y'all aren't desperate for workers, you just miss your slaves." just a sentiment you agree with? 

I’ve read the article you posted, and don’t find it to be particularly interesting, and more importantly informative. The writer says so themselves:

“ Holz acknowledged, however, that his results may not be representative of the larger labor challenges in the country, since his search was local and specifically targeted the most vocal critics of stimulus spending.”

What I find interesting is that this entire article is predicated on a goof some random person on the internet did, and doesn’t really offer anything but animus to the notion that the restaurant industry isn’t struggling to find reliable wait staff, and/or their lack of applicants is due to poor pay under the unqualified assumption that every person should be paid at least “X” for their labor. I say “X” because the author nor interviewee ever state an appropriate wage for picking up trash. The popular slogan previously was $15, but the so called “squad” has already adjusted that number to $25+.

I say interesting because you say you want to participate in discussions, but often completely ignore the posts of people you’re choosing to engage with daily. You do you and all. I’m just genuinely curious what you found interesting about this article and what aspects of it you’d like to discuss.

I’ve clearly read the article you linked into this discussion and said you found interesting. I hope you’ll at least give some effort in responding since you want to be part of the discussion.

I’m not sure why you so easily reject certain people’s individual accounts of their experience within the economy.

Do you really think that people in entry level positions are so well vetted that they’re checking up on someone to the point that they know their personal beliefs and opinions? In this labor shortage, you’d think that short of a serious criminal background, you’d get hired just about anywhere for an entry level job.

I, myself, have experienced great difficulty in hiring this year. You’d think I’d be the Joe Manchin of the group.

The extra unemployment benefits expired a considerable time ago. Labors not coming back…it’s not as simple to say it’s a ‘Bernie Sanders’ dream.

I find it interesting because labor has a real chance to advance themselves and i think that’s good for the country. For 40 years we’ve grown accustomed to treating labor like shit. I say this to you as a business owner since 2008/2009.

Regarding engagement, you’ve done the same many, many times. In fact, I’ve modeled my approach to this thread after yours on many occasions. See something you don’t like? Don’t engage.

Business Insider is a progressive site. Anecdotal, people are getting interviews at the biggest company in TN who offer great pay and benefits, but blowing off the jobs to stay on state unemployment. Getting the interview is a stipulation of unemployment. There's a of of jobs offering great pay and benefits, it has nothing to do with them being treated like trash. I'm all for protecting the working poor, by that's not exactly what they're talking about in their "universal" bills.

You're going to act like a normal person in this thread. Don't see something you like, you're not going to insult people or act like a jackass. Don't engage if you can't control yourself.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Business Insider is a progressive site. Anecdotal, people are getting interviews at the biggest company in TN who offer great pay and benefits, but blowing off the jobs to stay on state unemployment. Getting the interview is a stipulation of unemployment. There's a of of jobs offering great pay and benefits, it has nothing to do with them being treated like trash. I'm all for protecting the working poor, by that's not exactly what they're talking about in their "universal" bills.

You're going to act like a normal person in this thread. Don't see something you like, you're not going to insult people or act like a jackass. Don't engage if you can't control yourself.

I see...so if a source if progressive it's automatically rejected around here. No wonder nothing gets done in this thread.

ID, if your going to act like this I suggest you not participate in this discussion. I find it quite jack assery to reject a news source because you label it invalid based on your personal beliefs. If you are going to reject news sources because you deem them unworthy, then you are behaving as poorly as anyone here.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

That's why I don't post anything from overtly conservative sites. When they're pushing a talking point for a political party, or an ideology, you're not getting news. If it's not coming from an honest place, then their opinion doesn't matter. It's not opinion or news, it's propaganda.

And I gave a counter to your argument, I didn't throw a fit, and your response was for me to stay out of the discussion.

Board footer