You are not logged in. Please register or login.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

Re: Current Events Thread

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

So deep…

I always thought for as good as metallicas guitar work was, their lyrics sucked.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I really admire the Ukrainian President but we should not get involved with any military strike. I read something today where the guy said we shouldn't lose sight with all the fawning over him that he's active trying to drag us into a potential third world war. If I were him, can't say I wouldn't do the same.

And no one should be doing victory laps right now. Russia could crush Ukraine easily if they wanted to. This could all change on a dime.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

Well said....but it's difficult to see and not want to get involved. American lives cannot be risked for this...yet.

No one likes bullies.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

https://www.wbur.org/onpoint/2022/03/02 … itary-past

How many lives killed by Putin will the West accept before sending troops to save the innocent? 5,000? 10,000? 50,000? 100,000?

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

That's a question for Europe.

Randall Flagg

The man is threatening nukes. 135 countries denounced him today while only 4 others praised him. But the reality is only the US has a military capable of taking on Russia. What EU leaders think once that line is crossed is irrelevant, they don’t get to be part of the discussion. Military action by the US runs a very high chance of nuclear strikes. When the power grid is out and you have to scavenge and hunt to feed you and yours, will you really care what is happening 10k mikes away?

I hate to be part of the “told you so” crowd, but I’ve been bitching about this inevitably for the past 20 years. Europe has been derelict in their defense for decades and only matter on the global market as consumers. You don’t have Omar’s and AOC’s trashing their nation in Russia, nor do you have millions of followers who think their opinions are righteous.

Westerners with full bellies can wave flags and change their Facebook photos, but they don’t have a clue about real conflict. And they’ll eagerly follow whatever person make them feel comfortable and safe -COVID proved this.

We’re talking about nuclear war. WW3. Since they’ll recall my ass if that happens, I’m a little resentful of folks who want to pretend to be tough while others get bloody for their values that they won’t defend or sacrifice for.

Sky Dog wrote:

Flagg knows his shit…

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

The man is threatening nukes. 135 countries denounced him today while only 4 others praised him. But the reality is only the US has a military capable of taking on Russia. What EU leaders think once that line is crossed is irrelevant, they don’t get to be part of the discussion. Military action by the US runs a very high chance of nuclear strikes. When the power grid is out and you have to scavenge and hunt to feed you and yours, will you really care what is happening 10k mikes away?

I hate to be part of the “told you so” crowd, but I’ve been bitching about this inevitably for the past 20 years. Europe has been derelict in their defense for decades and only matter on the global market as consumers. You don’t have Omar’s and AOC’s trashing their nation in Russia, nor do you have millions of followers who think their opinions are righteous.

Westerners with full bellies can wave flags and change their Facebook photos, but they don’t have a clue about real conflict. And they’ll eagerly follow whatever person make them feel comfortable and safe -COVID proved this.

We’re talking about nuclear war. WW3. Since they’ll recall my ass if that happens, I’m a little resentful of folks who want to pretend to be tough while others get bloody for their values that they won’t defend or sacrifice for.

Sounds like we should take out Putin before he takes out the world. Isn’t Putin forever tainted now?

Randall Flagg

Smoking Guns wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Sounds like we should take out Putin before he takes out the world. Isn’t Putin forever tainted now?

And how does that happen? You think we can just shoot a bullet from space?  You want to drone strike him?

This isn’t North Korea. If Putin has a stroke tonight, Russia isn’t going to turn 180. I’m not discounting his personal influence, but he’s not acting in a vacuum. If Putin “took out” Biden, do you think Harris would not level Moscow? Why would the Russians be more reserved than the Americans?

Look at how pundits and opposing party leadership responded when Trump took out an Iranian General who was responsible for direct attacks on Americans, and you’re advocating we assassinate a world leader. How do you think that plays out?

The West is doing what it realistically can to hurt Putin without war. I’m shocked Germany ended its pipeline deal, but we’ll see how that actually plays out versus what sounds good in the media. Germany isn’t just going to watch 50% of their energy vanish and no amount of solar or wind can replace that much oil and gas.

End all trade, boycott Russia.  Deny visas to their citizens. Sign me up for all that. But you’re advocating WW3 for a nation and continent that doesn’t give a fuck about you or me and mocks us behind our backs. I don’t want to risk nuclear war because Europe has pretended to be above the realities of the world the past 70 years.

We have enough people in America who think millions of unskilled illiterate migrants crossing our boarders illegally each year is a non issue. Geniuses who think we should defund the police and military to give crackheads a condo with free internet. People who think rioting and looting are political discourse. The last thing I want to do is throw more chaos and idiocy into the mix outside my own front door.

Board footer