You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Current Events Thread

misterID wrote:

"The Biden administration spent enormous amounts of political capital - to the point where it became inexplicable even to Democrats - blocking @tedcruz pre-invasion sanctions on Nord Stream 2. It was the Ukrainians' top ask, along with weapons. And yet."

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy … 021-05-19/

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

The man is threatening nukes. 135 countries denounced him today while only 4 others praised him. But the reality is only the US has a military capable of taking on Russia. What EU leaders think once that line is crossed is irrelevant, they don’t get to be part of the discussion. Military action by the US runs a very high chance of nuclear strikes. When the power grid is out and you have to scavenge and hunt to feed you and yours, will you really care what is happening 10k mikes away?

I hate to be part of the “told you so” crowd, but I’ve been bitching about this inevitably for the past 20 years. Europe has been derelict in their defense for decades and only matter on the global market as consumers. You don’t have Omar’s and AOC’s trashing their nation in Russia, nor do you have millions of followers who think their opinions are righteous.

Westerners with full bellies can wave flags and change their Facebook photos, but they don’t have a clue about real conflict. And they’ll eagerly follow whatever person make them feel comfortable and safe -COVID proved this.

We’re talking about nuclear war. WW3. Since they’ll recall my ass if that happens, I’m a little resentful of folks who want to pretend to be tough while others get bloody for their values that they won’t defend or sacrifice for.

Yeah...our old discussions about how NATO needs to evolve or die are probably more relevant now than ever before.

Just take Finland and Sweden for example...they wouldn't even bother joining the alliance. Why bother? They can spend all their money funding those gender programs knowing that the EU and US would come to their defense in the event of a Russian invasion.

Once this crisis is over...God willing...it's time for Europe to take a page out of Germany's book. Rearm and do it quickly. Focus more on defense/EU and it would allow the US to change strategy.

But the reality is only the US has a military capable of taking on Russia

This has always been assumed of course but is that still the case after this conflict? The footage and stories all across social media platforms reveal an army with outdated equipment and incompetence. Soldiers begging for food, trading fuel for liquor,  leaving vehicles on the side of the road, crying or running in certain situations, list goes on.

You guys hear that audio intercepted of the Russian officers bitching about getting their asses kicked? Talking about how dumb it was to invade and even mentioned something about how the so called advanced weaponry the Russians have are just prototypes and they won't be getting any.

I'm trying to find it on YouTube or Twitter.

ook at how pundits and opposing party leadership responded when Trump took out an Iranian General who was responsible for direct attacks on Americans

This has to go down as one of the boldest moves in history. I don't think any other president...even Bush... would've gave that the green light.

Edit

On the subject of a NATO No Fly zone being discussed everywhere...

Obviously a bat shit crazy idea. Russia has fucked this up big time...don't interrupt your enemy as he's making a mistake as the saying goes.

The US/NATO intervening would just play into their hands.

If he genuinely wants a conflict with the West, don't call a potential bluff by an escalation in Ukraine. Make him invade a NATO country...which he won't do IMO. He has always feared NATO. It's why he's so pissed at the Baltics for joining. Can't invade them with no consequences anymore.

Some veiled threats towards Sweden and Finland regarding joining NATO.

Didn't Bush float the idea of Ukraine joining back in the 2000s but nobody was really interested at the time?

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

The strength of the Russian soldiers has been busted. They're getting captured by farmers. Reports are many of them are scared kids. They're saying up to 4,000 have been killed.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

misterID wrote:

The strength of the Russian soldiers has been busted. They're getting captured by farmers. Reports are many of them are scared kids. They're saying up to 4,000 have been killed.

James wrote:

This has always been assumed of course but is that still the case after this conflict? The footage and stories all across social media platforms reveal an army with outdated equipment and incompetence. Soldiers begging for food, trading fuel for liquor,  leaving vehicles on the side of the road, crying or running in certain situations, list goes on.

I don’t think the Russian ground forces are trying to displace and shoot civilians. Putin wants to rule the Ukraine, he doesn’t want to create more insurgents by murdering parents. How many buildings does Russia need to level in Ukrainian cities before people beg the violence and siege to end?

I don’t see a version of this ending where Putin is still President/alive and Ukraine isn’t ultimately under his control. He’s absolutely pulling his punches at the moment. Yes, Russian ground forces aren’t as supplied and equipped as the US/UK/AUS soldier. But I don’t believe the goal here is to Blitzkrieg to Paris. Putin’s winning this war and slowly occupying and controlling all major cities. If Kiev is not completely sieged or occupied next weekend, I’ll be shocked.

Both the Ukrainians and Russians are putting out propaganda according to the DoD. Neither side has killed as many as they’re claiming. We’re losing visibility into Russian state media, but so much of the Ukrainian “victory” is pure fabrication. The “Ghost of Kiev” western media was pushing, complete bullshit. The Ukrainian soldiers who told the Russian Navy to “go fuck yourself” in a refusal to surrender before being blown up?  They were taken alive and Russia now controls the island.

Point being Russia is on the path to victory here where they can take over the Ukraine with minimal infrastructural loss and civilian casualties. If the tide were to turn, Russia wouldn’t be pulling its punches and could level entire cities in hours.

Hopefully the sanctions cause the Russian oligarchs to feign concern for Democracy and remove Putin. But I don’t think that’s likely.

With gas prices and oil costs going through the roof, how long until every day citizens in every western nation start bitching about those prices, and fickle politicians turn their coat. It was no more moral to abandon Afghanistan and allow the Taliban to take over than it is to allow Russia to take over Ukraine. So the idea our leaders are righteous and defending democracy from autocrats is complete bullshit. Weeks ago Germany was full bore ahead with the Nord Stream and refused to export weapons to Ukraine. Italy didn’t want banking sanctions via SWIFT. We’ll see how long the solidarity lasts and how much pain western powers are willing to inflict on their people in the hopes a tyrant will abandon his effort to reform the Russian empire.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
misterID wrote:

James wrote:

I don’t think the Russian ground forces are trying to displace and shoot civilians. Putin wants to rule the Ukraine, he doesn’t want to create more insurgents by murdering parents. How many buildings does Russia need to level in Ukrainian cities before people beg the violence and siege to end?

I don’t see a version of this ending where Putin is still President/alive and Ukraine isn’t ultimately under his control. He’s absolutely pulling his punches at the moment. Yes, Russian ground forces aren’t as supplied and equipped as the US/UK/AUS soldier. But I don’t believe the goal here is to Blitzkrieg to Paris. Putin’s winning this war and slowly occupying and controlling all major cities. If Kiev is not completely sieged or occupied next weekend, I’ll be shocked.

Both the Ukrainians and Russians are putting out propaganda according to the DoD. Neither side has killed as many as they’re claiming. We’re losing visibility into Russian state media, but so much of the Ukrainian “victory” is pure fabrication. The “Ghost of Kiev” western media was pushing, complete bullshit. The Ukrainian soldiers who told the Russian Navy to “go fuck yourself” in a refusal to surrender before being blown up?  They were taken alive and Russia now controls the island.

Point being Russia is on the path to victory here where they can take over the Ukraine with minimal infrastructural loss and civilian casualties. If the tide were to turn, Russia wouldn’t be pulling its punches and could level entire cities in hours.

Hopefully the sanctions cause the Russian oligarchs to feign concern for Democracy and remove Putin. But I don’t think that’s likely.

With gas prices and oil costs going through the roof, how long until every day citizens in every western nation start bitching about those prices, and fickle politicians turn their coat. It was no more moral to abandon Afghanistan and allow the Taliban to take over than it is to allow Russia to take over Ukraine. So the idea our leaders are righteous and defending democracy from autocrats is complete bullshit. Weeks ago Germany was full bore ahead with the Nord Stream and refused to export weapons to Ukraine. Italy didn’t want banking sanctions via SWIFT. We’ll see how long the solidarity lasts and how much pain western powers are willing to inflict on their people in the hopes a tyrant will abandon his effort to reform the Russian empire.

Dude, they have leveled a lot of shit that are civilian buildings. Please don’t start that narrative that Putin is being ultra careful not to piss off or kill the Ukrainian citizens. Some are saying rapes are happening. We have seen the bombs.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

There's no propaganda like war propaganda. The old 1940 script has been dusted off.

Randall Flagg

Smoking Guns wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
misterID wrote:

James wrote:

Dude, they have leveled a lot of shit that are civilian buildings. Please don’t start that narrative that Putin is being ultra careful not to piss off or kill the Ukrainian citizens. Some are saying rapes are happening. We have seen the bombs.

I didn't say they hadn't, please don't be like the other poster and invent arguments to attack.  I’m aware of what has happened and what can happen. If you think this is “war”, you don’t have a clue what war is. It’s terrible that any of this is happening, but this can be so much worse. Neither side is claiming injuries in the 5 digits yet.

Ukraine is taking volunteers SG. You seem to really have a grasp on this conflict and are eager to encourage assassinations and conflict escalation. You should consider going over there and standing up for your beliefs and values. Then you could verify all these claims as either true or propaganda. I know you’re not the kind of guy to advocate for war and then not offer yourself up as a soldier. It’s just like call of duty, I promise.

Randall Flagg

https://www.axios.com/scoop-biden-offic … a0a4e.html

Kind of hard to knock Germany when our own administration is fighting to to prevent a ban on Russian oil being passed in Congress.

Randall Flagg

Smoking Guns wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
misterID wrote:

James wrote:

SG, I guess the experts saw my post and agreed with me!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/no-good-outc … 29631.html

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

The media continues to reach new levels of stupid. Talking about a no fly zone as if it's just another thing, not bothering to consider the nuclear war that will follow. And apparently most people are also not capable of thinking that far when they cheer it on.

When did everybody just lose their minds?

Board footer