You are not logged in. Please register or login.

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

Re: Current Events Thread

I'd just like to say fuck the system.

Fuck Republicans, Fuck Democrats.

Both parties are too fucking crazy for me. Not that my opinion matters.

Money in politics is the issue.

In most systems.

It needs to be out. No lobbying, no corporate donors, no private donors, no union donors. Out.

Republicans are a far cry from the party of Nixon yeah. That guy.

Democrats. What the fuck are they? A far cry from the Johnson era, far cry from the Roosevelt era.

Both parties were at their best when a Roosevelt was President.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

It's complete nonsense as classified documents fall under the executive branch and the President has the power to classify or declassify anything he wants, officially or on the fly. He can take it home, do whatever he wants with it, give it to whoever he wants. 

And even if he wasn't President with those powers, the last time a government official was charged with mishandling documents he got slapped with a misdemeanor and there was no FBI raid on his house. This is a former President, only a banana republic would stoop so low for political gain over some bullshit. Total witch hunt. If you haven't noticed the establishment having it in for Trump since day 1 I don't know what to tell you.

But what's the gain from this "witch hunt" here.

The Dems had a chance to be singing from the rooftops about their bill that they passed and perhaps Biden could then get something in about student loans later this month, which could give them some positive stuff to talk about going into the midterms. This raid buries all of that in the news cycle.

If this is a conspiratorial witch hunt, what are they actually gaining from it?

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I tend to disagree with most of the conspiracy stuff on here....but I must say this kinda just looks to me like finding something/anything to charge him with to disrupt chances of him running in 2024 or generally discredit his standing enough so that the political conversation can move beyond him.....

I mean love or hate his policies, he was president of the United States last term, it's not really normal in our big western democracies for the next government in to investigate and arrest the leader of the previous one. It's just not a good look for society. I mean even if you want to be anti-republican there's plenty of shit you could look into in the bush governments and the wars and stuff but they didn't. The difference to me seems to be that Trump remains a figure who might run again.

-Jack-
 Rep: 39 

-Jack- wrote:

After 3 years of waiting for ROBERT MULLER to drop the HAMMER on the obvious RUSSIA Trump COLLUSION it’s amazing to me that people on the left still get “hyped” on these obviously BS political investigations of Trump. They are trying to punish him and it wouldn’t surprise me if he’s jailed in a few years. I’m sure it will be legitimate tho. And we’re in the bubble...

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Anyone read this article from Slate?

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/202 … n-cox.html

Dems are backing Trump candidates in the primary hoping they can win...and believe this will make it easier for Dems to win the election. 18

They learned NOTHING from 2016.

Instead of sitting back and allowing normal Republicans a fair shot at the election, they're gonna push the wackos....and we'll wind up with more MTG style politicians.

Anyone who would do that cares nothing about this country. When we get more nuts in Congress, I don't want to hear any complaining from the left. They'll shoulder much of the blame.

They know a red wave is coming...yet doing everything in their power to make it even worse.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
Axl S wrote:

The Dems had a chance to be singing from the rooftops about their bill that they passed and perhaps Biden could then get something in about student loans later this month, which could give them some positive stuff to talk about going into the midterms. This raid buries all of that in the news cycle.

I have no idea what they are playing at, but I do know raiding the house of a former President for some bullshit stuff that is probably not even illegal, is not normal. You didn't see that in America. You don't see it in Europe. You see it in places like Mexico and Brazil.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Democrats really wanted Trump to win the primary because he’d be so easy to defeat in the general election. How’d that work out?

polluxlm wrote:
Axl S wrote:

I have no idea what they are playing at, but I do know raiding the house of a former President for some bullshit stuff that is probably not even illegal, is not normal. You didn't see that in America. You don't see it in Europe. You see it in places like Mexico and Brazil.

They could have subpoenaed him, or did a special investigation. They didn’t. For what they’re after it doesn’t seem this was worth it. It’ll only fire up his base.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

LOL, you need to do some research.  He's just a normal citzen .  He is not immune to prosecution just because he was a president. 

misterID wrote:

They could have subpoenaed him, or did a special investigation. They didn’t. For what they’re after it ties my seem this was worth it. It’ll only fire up his base.

I'm just going to assume that he (Trump) did some really shady shit that forced the FBI/Justice Dept to do this.  I mean what's more likely:  the FBI is "outta get Trump" or that Trump had sensitive info documents and wanted to sel them.

I think they asked him more than once to return whatever documents and he ignored it or just didn't comply.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

True.

I just think it plays into his hands. It’s better yo have a long drawn out fight that no one cares about. It just seems there’s a push to get him convicted of something so he can’t run again.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
misterID wrote:

True.

I just think it plays into his hands. It’s better yo have a long drawn out fight that no one cares about. It just seems there’s a push to get him convicted of something so he can’t run again.

I kinda hate this aspect of modern politicizing of the investigate arm of the Justice Dept.  I think that is the right term.  And it's been going on for years.  There could be (and probably most of them are) a legitimate investigation of some wrongdoing and it's gets drowned out by "it's a witch hunt" or defund the FBI or whatever bullshit gets thrown it.

And it's wrong to me.  Because generally the FBI doesn't fuck around when it comes to stuff like it.

Board footer