You are not logged in. Please register or login.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

Re: Holiday Movies/Music

PaSnow wrote:

Anyone have any fave holiday movies? Traditions?

Reason I ask mostly is I saw Home Alone promoted for Disney+ as the 30th anniversary of it (incredibly hard to believe), and, I was never a huge fan of this one, it is really good. Layered, with alot to it, and Macauley Culkin was a perfect fit. Watched it last night. seen it before but maybe never gave it a chance.

I may be a bit older than some of you. I was 17/senior in high school, and hated the hype & success of it, just didn't buy in. Which, now I look back, and wonder why I hated it, and also man, it woulda been a perfect movie to ask a girl out on a date on. Stupid me probably would rather drink beer & smoke cigarettes in a woods somewhere in the cold.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Scrooged.  I'm the same age as Culkin, so I loved that movie when it came out.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

You graduated one year before me if you were a senior in 1990. I didn't get into Home Alone until I had kids of my own.

I am kind of a Christmas freak. I love the holiday season. I have tons of traditions and movies and music I listen to.

As a metal fan, I of course love Trans-Siberian Orchestra. Hard to believe it's basically the band Savatage with more traditional/Broadway singers and the whole country has eaten it up for 20+ years. Their tour is canceled so they are doing a $30 livestream this year. Tickets are usually $75 to $200, so I jumped at this. It'll be a pro-shot Blu-Ray production, basically, which for $30 is about right on.

There are a lot of movies I generally watch this time of year. Home Alone I and II, Elf, A Christmas Story, Christmas Vacation, Scrooged and A Nightmare Before Christmas being the perennial musts. There are others, like Office Christmas Party or The Night Before that are "adult" and less cheesy. I really like the war movie Joyeux Noel, about the Christmas Eve truce during WWI that brought opposing soldiers together to celebrate.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Anyone have any fave holiday movies? Traditions?

Reason I ask mostly is I saw Home Alone promoted for Disney+ as the 30th anniversary of it (incredibly hard to believe), and, I was never a huge fan of this one, it is really good. Layered, with alot to it, and Macauley Culkin was a perfect fit. Watched it last night. seen it before but maybe never gave it a chance.

I may be a bit older than some of you. I was 17/senior in high school, and hated the hype & success of it, just didn't buy in. Which, now I look back, and wonder why I hated it, and also man, it woulda been a perfect movie to ask a girl out on a date on. Stupid me probably would rather drink beer & smoke cigarettes in a woods somewhere in the cold.

Yea...I mostly groan every time Home Alone comes on TV...

I don't even find Macauley that talented or interesting. He's just playing a little boy anyway....

I'm not a fan of slapstick comedy and the shows/movies that display children and babies outsmarting adults isn't entertaining to me in the least.

Plus...fucking Trump is in it.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
bigbri wrote:

You graduated one year before me if you were a senior in 1990. I didn't get into Home Alone until I had kids of my own.

I am kind of a Christmas freak. I love the holiday season. I have tons of traditions and movies and music I listen to.

As a metal fan, I of course love Trans-Siberian Orchestra. Hard to believe it's basically the band Savatage with more traditional/Broadway singers and the whole country has eaten it up for 20+ years. Their tour is canceled so they are doing a $30 livestream this year. Tickets are usually $75 to $200, so I jumped at this. It'll be a pro-shot Blu-Ray production, basically, which for $30 is about right on.

There are a lot of movies I generally watch this time of year. Home Alone I and II, Elf, A Christmas Story, Christmas Vacation, Scrooged and A Nightmare Before Christmas being the perennial musts. There are others, like Office Christmas Party or The Night Before that are "adult" and less cheesy. I really like the war movie Joyeux Noel, about the Christmas Eve truce during WWI that brought opposing soldiers together to celebrate.

Wow...I'm starting to get an indication of how much younger I am than most of you guys. Gn'R was a distant memory by the time I discovered them in high school.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:
bigbri wrote:

I was 91. Didn't it come out Christmas of 90? 

I had high hopes for Office Christmas Party (Jennifer Anniston, right?) but saw it last year finally and was disappointed in it, felt it could have been better or more realistic. The Office (British version) was short lived but has a phenomenal Christmas/final episode. Kinda have to watch the 20 or so other episodes to get how it ends. National Lampoons probably my fave, & A  Christmas Story of course. Planes Trains & Automobiles in an underrated Thanksgivng holday treat.

Wild about Trans Siberia Orchestra.. Did you ever hear of Roddy Chong, violinist?  I saw him motivational speak a few years ago, he was great.

IRISH OS1R1S
 Rep: 59 

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

National Lampoon's Christmas vacation, every year without fail.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:
IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

Tops. Prolly my fave.

Its a Wonderful Life is good too, NBC i think airs it Christmas Eve.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

Yea, this one, Elf and Rudolph are always top picks in my house...last couple years we have made a point to watch Die Hard as well

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Christmas Vacation, A Christmas Story, Scrooged, Die Hard, Lethal Weapon.

Yes, Lethal Weapon is a Christmas movie.

Board footer