You are not logged in. Please register or login.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

Re: Slash casually refers to a new GNR record in a vague non committal way

metallex78 wrote:

I was re-reading Duffs first book recently, and I found of note: he mentions they signed a 6 album deal with Geffen back when they were signed. So I’m guessing that was already fulfilled right?

1. AFD
2. Lies/LLAS
3/4. UYI1/UYI2
5. TSI
6. Live Era
7. Greatest Hits
8. CD

Do live albums / compilations count?
If they don’t, that’s still 6 albums filling their contract

gavgnr
 Rep: 4 

gavgnr wrote:

Pretty sure Live Era/GH doesn’t count meaning one more record is owing

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

we’ll get nothing and like it. If they haven’t done anything already during this pandemic, it’s over.

Every band/artist that is serious about music has done something during this lockdown. Hell, Steve Perry is more reclusive than Axl and he released new stuff his month.

It’s over.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:
bigbri wrote:

we’ll get nothing and like it. If they haven’t done anything already during this pandemic, it’s over.

Every band/artist that is serious about music has done something during this lockdown. Hell, Steve Perry is more reclusive than Axl and he released new stuff his month.

It’s over.

I think you’re right. What I’m interested to know is how hard they’ve tried.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I do see Scabie's point however that when (if) it does happen it will be interesting to see if the chemistry compares to records of the past.

It's not going to compare. The 87-93 era was an actual band....and it's already falling apart as a creative unit in 93.... hitting a brick wall in 94.

The band dynamic was completely destroyed and never recovered.

Hell...the Soundgarden reunion was pushing it. Those guys weren't best friends either. However, they were capable of having a relationship that didn't revolve around money and were all on the same page about what they wanted to do... reintroduce the band to the world, get the legacy back on track, and record another album and liquidate the vault.

That was the plan day one. Even with Cornell's untimely death, mission largely accomplished.

Another example....

While Cornell was doing one of his promo tours going to various radio stations, Ben tagged along briefly and performed acoustically with him. Most fans believe this is one of the brief periods they got together to work on the next album.

Can you imagine Axl joining Slash on a similar promo tour?

Of course not.

Can you imagine them doing it 30 years ago?

Yes....and they did. Stern and Rockline.

Post 93 GNR is not a real band. Do they tour? Yes. That's it. They do not hang out together offstage...they do not periodically rent out studios...they do not do promo tours of any kind. They don't even release band pictures.

We found out from Dizzy that during the 2002-06 period, the band was never in the same room together.

Without Azoff entering the fray, there's still no GNR album since 1993.

While the current lineup has always had potential, that doesn't mean that anything will come of it other than a great concert.

don’t want to hear any sweet nothings about it.

Show me the baby or stay home.

This is my stance. I can't be sucked into another hype machine. For starters I'm too old but another reason is they've barely even tried to push anything substantial happening album wise.... which is telling.

It’s over.

I'll pull a Bill Clinton....I  agree and disagree with this.

It's over in the sense it never really started. It's a touring juggernaut. If the world goes back to normal, it'll continue to be. They will soon replace the Stones as the main legacy act. People around the world will go to see them bust out Jungle and SCOM.

Where i disagree is I don't believe we've seen the last release.

I do believe that they did some recording early on in the reunion. For reasons unknown, it was tossed on the back burner.

We could get some of this material in the form of new GH/Best of compilation.

There's also potential vault releases during the next three years....

UYI Anniversary set
TSI set

They're also long overdue on some sort of live album that doesn't reek of the laziness of Live Era.

They don't have a lot to work with. It's the travesty of GNR....Out of the major bands/acts in the history of music, they have such a small discography and very little in the vault.

When you remove AFD-TSI rough mixes/outtakes and the Chinese leftovers, all you have left is a mythical 95-96 album that probably doesn't exist and an instrumental album VR recorded before picking Scott Weiland.

That's it.

If we're lucky, a surprise release is on the horizon but I don't believe that there is. We've had no indication that anything is in the pipeline.

The lack of action during a year long pandemic tells us that the band is not a creative unit.

It's a killer touring lineup. It has nothing to do during pandemics.

I think you’re right. What I’m interested to know is how hard they’ve tried

I think they tried 2015-16.

The Fortus comments back then about working on old Slash riffs was a sign they were doing something behind the scenes.

For whatever reason...it was dropped.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I think a pandemic release doesn't make sense for them though.

I get it's been great for a lot of artists.

But for GNR any release (even a GH with 2 new songs etc) is going to have the side effect of re-branding and invigorating the live show into a post NITL tour.

When they've kept the audience waiting for 12 years since the last release, and 30 whatever since the last Axl/Slash release it makes no sense for them to blow their load by dropping it during a pandemic when they can't capitalise by starting a tour cycle based around it.

I don't think the richard/slash album is dropped - I think it's on hold till the world sorts its shit out. Without the pandemic I think it would have happened around now. My guess from here is that 2021 they treat as a "warm back up year" by playing catch up shows from the dates that owe, and testing the international waters again with this aussie tour.

If stuff is calmed down and working then set the stage for a 2022 release and a new tour era. I'd say sooner but it's GNR - so i'm not expecting a nimble response to current events. But you never know I guess.

I should know better by this stage in the game, but something about the situation with them makes me think they will release something else.

Sky Dog wrote:

Monkey, nothing ever makes sense for Gnr post 93. It’s over. axl92

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

I don’t think they can do the stadium tour every year without SOMETHING. But i think they’ll wait for the data for that.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:

James, you said, "We found out from Dizzy that during the 2002-06 period, the band was never in the same room together."

That blows me away. I honestly thought all was well behind the scenes. When did he say that?

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

Yeah this is just a greatest hits band with covers that no one wants to hear.

I don’t understand the appeal of seeing them again after not in this lifetime.

If they had an album. A new album to promote I’d be for it. But, they don’t.

And not in this lifetime 2 with more obscure covers doesn’t appeal to me.

2021 there will be no new album.

Board footer