You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Wtf happened to…The Blues (Street of Dreams I guess)

monkeychow wrote:

I find with a lot of GNR songs once they do something cool to it live then the studio version then forever lacks that thing.

Sort of like in YCBM i'm always listening for "with your ass in the air" or the 2006 era opening to Jungle....

There's two of these with the blues.

One of them is the time Axl sort of sang the musical crescendo then diminuendo in the song that the guitar does before the "what this means to me" part.  On the record there's a swell of the guitar, but there's a live version where he does an "Arrghhhhh" raspy thing to the exact tune the instruments do....now it forever lives in my mind in the song.

The other is "ok nevermind" but that's just funny.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Like all other songs on the album...it attempts to be the epic that it can't be.

Yes it was a good song...but more like Yesterdays...not NR or Estranged.

Flagg mentioned loving those 2002 versions.... Boston and Osaka were incredible. THAT is how the song should sound.

Sky Dog wrote:

I always called it Yesterday’s Rain!

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

exoterica wrote:

This like all songs on Chinese Democracy needed Axl doing his clean “helium” voice and avoiding theatricality.

The Blues and Madagascar were perfect in 2001.

Just straight, clean band all in a room versions.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

"Ron, can you add a totally unnecessary and grating riff throughout the song that completely ruins the cool Queen/Elton John vibe? I think the subtlety is just way too distracting, and some nerds on the forums seem to like it too much... Oh, yeah, that's perfect. I knew it was just missing that fifth guitar. By the way, anyone have a new name suggestion? Something generic and really shitty. That's prefect, Beta. Street of Dreams it is!"

Link31
 Rep: 1 

Link31 wrote:
AgesOfTheIce wrote:

And the song is definitely about Slash, when you read his 2000 Rolling Stone interview it becomes 100% clear.

Who writes a love song about some you detested? No one. Most likely about a past love affair. Listen to Hardschool, Now that's about Slash!

AgesOfTheIce
 Rep: 10 

AgesOfTheIce wrote:
Link31 wrote:
AgesOfTheIce wrote:

And the song is definitely about Slash, when you read his 2000 Rolling Stone interview it becomes 100% clear.

Who writes a love song about some you detested? No one. Most likely about a past love affair. Listen to Hardschool, Now that's about Slash!

It is not a love song, at least not the romantic kind. Every line in the song is something Axl has said about Slash in one way or another in interviews after the breakup.

Sky Dog wrote:

Another Stephanie song...just like TWAT...pretty simple.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
Link31 wrote:
AgesOfTheIce wrote:

I hope not every slow ballad isn’t about Slash. What if after all these years Sweet Child o Mine was really about Slash? Or we if find out that November Rain is really about marrying Slash? What if Patience is really a song expressed to Slash?

That would be pretty queer.

AgesOfTheIce
 Rep: 10 

AgesOfTheIce wrote:

No one said every ballad is about Slash. TWAT/TIL are obviously about Stephanie. SOD is about Slash, and it isn't a love song.

Board footer