You are not logged in. Please register or login.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

Re: Wtf happened to…The Blues (Street of Dreams I guess)

FlashFlood wrote:

First time I heard this one was Rio 3, but during the 02 tour this song was perfected.

The intro was completely fucked over on the album version but by then they had been playing it like that for a couple years so, whatever. Outside of that I don’t have a big problem with what ended up on the album.

AgesOfTheIce
 Rep: 10 

AgesOfTheIce wrote:

When I first listened to CD in 2008 this was one of the most bland, skippable tracks. When I heard the 2001/2002 versions I was like wow, this was one of the best and it was butchered. Finally after the Village leaks I have a proper studio version and it easily moves from one of the 5 weakest tracks on CD to one of the 5 best. The added guitars and the spooky keyboards in the chorus really take the song from 5 to 10. Also, another one of Axl's best lyrics and outros ("What this means to me"...he's really pouring his heart out there).

And the song is definitely about Slash, when you read his 2000 Rolling Stone interview it becomes 100% clear.

Sky Dog wrote:

Ok...this sounds like a Gnr song......the 2000 version! Way over cooked 8 years later. Simple as that. axl

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Original version with the big electric chords at the beginning is so much better than the weak acoustic intro on the album version. I basically never listen to the album version anymore since the demo came out.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

Outside of that I don’t have a big problem with what ended up on the album.

Boy I sure do.....that vocal take is not worthy of being final.

And the song is definitely about Slash

I used to laugh at people who said this for years....but yeah....

It's definitely about Slash.

Way over cooked 8 years later.

They tried turning it into an REO Speedwagon power ballad....and failed.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

I was obsessed with this song until Better leaked in 06.  Bought several shitty concert videos from 02 just to get better angles of the song.  Really enjoyed the 06 leak as well,, but what came out in 2008 not only changed the title, but a bunch of the arrangements and synth shit Pittman (I assume) had in the 02 and 06 versions were completely absent.  This song more than any other was over produced and rewritten more than any other song.  I still listen to the 06 version when I want to hear this.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

This song out of all the overproduced messes on the album is one of the worst.  I dug the 2001 or 2002 versions.  Then I listen to the album atrocity and it just makes me shake my head.  It's like he took whatever was great about the song and buried it under layers of production and sound.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Agree with alot of this, it's a great song in there. Should've been a radio single, probably Better first, then The Blues.

As for the CD track, a bit overproduced (I too remember liking the 06 leak better), the Mickey Mouse voice, and the song title change (Street Of Dreams?? wtf). It all just missed and took away from a gem of a song.

Axl's an underrated pianist. He probably should've put out a solo album, let Slash & the band do some side stuff, then reconvene around 02/04 like when VR did.

Sky Dog wrote:

I think that is Dizzy on piano. Axl only plays piano on Prostitute and Catcher in the Rye. axl

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Really?  He played alot live tho, early in the NITL tour. Still is talented at it.

Board footer