You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Wtf happened to…The Blues (Street of Dreams I guess)

monkeychow wrote:

I think Axl's songs explore emotional states across relationships and thus kinda have layers of meaning.

So I think something like Street of Dreams can be partially directed to a troubled romantic relationship but then specific emotions or sometimes lines from the song can express how that same emotion is mirrored in a troubled friendship, or troubled feelings about an institution of society etc.

So to me it's not that the song is specifically about Steph or Slash or Erin or the record label or whoever...it's about that feeling of nostalgia for something and realising even if you got it back it wouldn't be what it was and then wondering if it ever was what you thought it was.

Which isn't to say aspects of it don't apply to those relationships - they probably do and that's probably why he wrote the song - but to me it's kinda deeper than just writing a song specifically about the one person. It's about how those people reflect that concept.

Then again...what the fuck would I know...you'd have to ask Axl. But I do think I remember him commenting once that specific lines are not always directed to a specific person or something similar.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Monkey might be right that the song is about several people. I used to mock people who said it was about anything but a woman.

The first line really seals the deal....

All the love in the world couldn't save you....

However...as time went on, he continued to comment unnecessarily about Slash, and the realization that many of the songs are about the loss of Slash/the old band, you realize it's about him.

IMO...

TWAT and TIL are about Steph, Atlas Shrugged the song for Dylan, and majority of the rest is Slash.

Edit: I forgot If the World

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

exoterica wrote:

TWAT - Steph and Axl, song for Dylan
TIL - Steph
Atlas - Robin
Blues - Slash
IRS - Old band
Sorry - Ruling class war party
Prostitute - Axl

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

IRS is really underrated lyrically.

The megalomania and paranoia on display is incredible. I don't think he ever said, but I have a feeling it's one of the first songs he wrote after the split and those court dates.

The venom coming from that scream with a perfect Bucket solo pasted in is chilling.

In an alternate universe where it comes out 2001-02, this is a hit on the rock charts...maybe #1.

Edit

The only weakness to the song is it's repetitive....

And of course the final version is shit.

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

exoterica wrote:

Yeah people sleep on IRS but that and TWAT are enough to carry an album. Maybe a little thin but workable.

I dig em both. And we should’ve gotten a reworked version recorded around 2006 but of course that never happened.

It would’ve been a sonic cousin of Sorry but missed opportunity #30000080

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

I liked this song many years before its official release - what we got in the end was a letdown. Axl's vocals are not album worthy quality. It probably sounds more like GN'R than anything else on the record but they again shat the bed on the mix/production...

Board footer