You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: We don't really expect a new setlist do we?

Smoking Guns wrote:

Axl was terrible. Slash was great.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

I was there, 20 rows back. Great show, but Axl clearly had sound issues as half the lyrics on Better didn’t come through the PA and he ran off to get oxygen more than I thought. Had a great time

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Axl S wrote:
James wrote:

Most likely they chose this song because it is that song that was meant to go with that Jackie Chan movie in the 90s and it's actually Slash and Duff original

I think so too and I wish they had unveiled it in 2016.

Get it out of the way and let's move on to Oklahoma/Berlin.

Only a few hundred people cared about that last batch of leaks. The media completely ignored it.

If it had anything to do with those leaks(it doesn't), they'd be doing Perhaps or Atlas Shrugged.

I have a theory, and it's a big stretch, that Axl still wants to do his magnum opus trilogy that ultimately began in 95, and he wants it to include redone songs from CD. Would explain the changes to CD, Better and now it appears the massive reworking of Hardschool. He was clearly unhappy with CD, didn't like the album and felt the album was forced out of his hands and overall wasn't what it was supposed to be. Tommy said as much in an interview recently. Now with Slash and Duff he has the clout label wise to put out what he always wanted.

It would go some ways to explaining why they haven't even dropped a simple EP or greatest hits with a new song. That's not the "vision".

... or none of them give a shit 16 But it's a fun theory.

Yeah this is nice fan fiction....a great alternate universe.

If any of that was remotely possible, more than one 30 year old B side would've been released 2016-2021.

They're not in their 30s. If the goal is releasing grand visions, they have no time to waste.

Oh well....at least Soundgarden made one positive step towards finishing a new album....and Jagger and Wood are in France wrapping up the bonus tracks on Tattoo You.

I had hope for a nanosecond.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

surely they have to play Hard school at some point? I remain somewhat positive I guess of getting something - I guess you could say this show today was clearing out the cobwebs and ring rust. I'd be nice to hear Axl actually give an update around the future....

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

It’s disappointing being such a big fan, that I want Axl to come out and completely kick ass. And it’s sad to me that he is struggling through this stuff. I know he’s just a human, but man, he was the greatest frontman ever, and I guess I want him to show the world that again. But maybe he just doesn’t have it in him anymore.

As for forgetting lyrics? He has a fucken teleprompter on stage so he doesn’t have to remember them. So that’s inexcusable to me.

It just shows he’s unrehearsed and uninterested in giving his best at this point. But I feel like he’s been in that state for a while.

James

James wrote:

I just watched Slither on YouTube.

I realize it's a fan video.....but....

Yikes.

Slither needs to be abandoned. It does not get a big enough crowd pop to justify its existence in the set.

What should be a unique cover that provides one of the biggest crowd pops of the night has essentially been reduced to role of the deep cut.

The song also doesn't suit his style.... especially 2020s Axl. If he has the desire to sing Weiland......drop the VR connection and do  Sour Girl.

I forgot Flagg was going to this show. I'm sure it was much better in person but holy shit.... judging by this Slither clip it all looks so uninspiring and just going through the motions...yet this is opening night!

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

What has happened?

Journey just played a 3-hour set Thursday night and the second song in the set list was the new single. Two days later tonight they headlined Lollapalooza. They are all like 70.

GNR are so fucking lazy.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
James wrote:

If Hardschool was on the launch pad, they would've played it and it wouldn't be on the back burner as alternate.

I expect they might do it casually in a couple more shows when Axl happens to have a good night.

Like they do with songs like TWAT.....they come out to play occasionally when the stars are in alignment.

So like they'll do it. If it goes well they'll do it a few times ala "Shadow of Your Love" - if it was hard on Axl they'll do it only in a blue moon ala TWAT....

Doesn't seem like we can expect a single/album launch any time soon from this though.

It looks like this is another NITL leg with just a few new songs swapped out to keep them happy.

I don't mean to be negative...but there's times when it looks like their plan is just to get as much money from us as possible before health/voice issues cause them to call it a career....I want to think this all leads to the lost albums etc....but there's a point where you have to wonder.

James

James wrote:
bigbri wrote:

What has happened?

Journey just played a 3-hour set Thursday night and the second song in the set list was the new single. Two days later tonight they headlined Lollapalooza. They are all like 70.

GNR are so fucking lazy.

Another example is The Stones....some of them almost 80!

Jagger is all over the stage and looks happy to be there....Keith has a shit eating grin half the time.

I'm not going to judge the whole tour on one show....but....these guys are not happy to be onstage.

YCBM

Not bad...not good. Serviceable I guess.

Dead Horse

Rename it Dead Crowd or Piss Break. Other than one guy bobbing his head, nobody gives a shit. Even the scream after the intro fails to get a crowd pop.

Drop it from the set.

I'm gonna make the same suggestion I made after going to their concert four years ago.....

Shorten the set list and remove the dead weight. The shows don't need to be that long and it also saves his voice.

Nobody is there for Slither, Dead Horse, etc.

It isn't 1991.

Play your hits, a small handful of deep cuts, a new song, and end with PC.

On to the next city.

Repeat.

James

James wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
James wrote:

If Hardschool was on the launch pad, they would've played it and it wouldn't be on the back burner as alternate.

I expect they might do it casually in a couple more shows when Axl happens to have a good night.

Like they do with songs like TWAT.....they come out to play occasionally when the stars are in alignment.

So like they'll do it. If it goes well they'll do it a few times ala "Shadow of Your Love" - if it was hard on Axl they'll do it only in a blue moon ala TWAT....

Doesn't seem like we can expect a single/album launch any time soon from this though.

It looks like this is another NITL leg with just a few new songs swapped out to keep them happy.

I don't mean to be negative...but there's times when it looks like their plan is just to get as much money from us as possible before health/voice issues cause them to call it a career....I want to think this all leads to the lost albums etc....but there's a point where you have to wonder.

It's not a real band....it's a business run by three people (and their managers/assistants) with hired hands to play the songs.

It's not a creative, artistic entity.

They performed a new 30 year old B side on the last tour...which I didn't even notice was gone until you just mentioned it...and the new song waiting in the wings is 20-25 years old.

I do think we'll get something before it's over... deluxe edition of UYI, a compilation with a new track or two, maybe even a one in a million shot of CD II reworked with Slash and Duff.

None of that is a priority though. The priority is the touring cash cow.

They don't even bother doing any promoting.. because it doesn't matter anymore.

Board footer