You are not logged in. Please register or login.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

Re: Will there be anything for Contraband’s 20th anniversary?

FlashFlood wrote:

I guess I’m 2 years early for this, but nearly every album is getting their deluxe reissue for an anniversary of however many years. Slash hasn’t spoken favorably about VR in recent interviews, but I wonder if they follow suit. If so, what will they do? A reissue? A show with Dave and Matt and guest singers?

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I would love to see something.

I suspect we might just get something like GNR doing fall to pieces as a tribute to scott next tour or something.

Between scott's unhappy passing, the awkwardness at the last VR reunion before the end, multiple comments from Slash speaking unfavourably of the whole experience, and now the further awkwardness with Matt being left out of the reunion and him letting it be known to the media....it's hard to see how the cards would go the right way.....

then again...they have some toys in the vault...like the 3rd album they never finished, and who knows what other outtakes and stuff.
Dave kinda deserves his moment too.

I'd like to see it...but yeah I dunno...maybe a reissue with a live disc? Between Slash and Duff being in GNR, and Slash having the Myles stuff on full boil, it's easy to imagine this getting ignored though.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Yeah I don't see any sort of tribute reunion happening. Sorum is officially out of the loop now and they're not going to risk upsetting the GNR apple cart over Velvet Revolver.

I suppose it's possible we get some sort of Contraband deluxe edition. How much material did they have left? I assume that the best of it was used for Libertad.

It also begs the question...

Who owns Velvet Revolver?!?

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

Monkey has a good thought with some recordings they may have had pre/post Scott. Find it hard to believe they’d leave anything for a Libertad reissue.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

It's interesting....we know they recorded at least an album of demos with Corey Taylor....

Corey has said:

"I think it was ten [songs that I recorded with Velvet Revolver]… I think it was… It’s either nine or ten. There was a handful that we wrote, and then there was a handful that I kind of rearranged a little bit based on music that they already had. So it wasn’t music that we kind of wrote together. I mean, there were, like, three… I think there was three songs that we wrote together, which were actually pretty sweet. And then the rest of it was me writing to music that they already had that I thought was pretty cool.”

On the same subject slash has said:

"Corey came in, just like a lot of other guys came in. Of course, Corey's Corey, and he's probably one of the best guys out there. I love Corey. I just thought it was a different style than what VELVET REVOLVER was trying to capture. But, still, the songs are cool. But if we were gonna do anything with that, they would have to be re-recorded and… 'Cause, I mean, it was very raw and very, sort of, 'making it up on the spot' kind of deal. And so we'd have to revisit everything and then we'd put it together, I think. But that's not really a plan. I'm just saying if it was… I don't wanna get any ideas in anybody's head. That would be the only way that it could be released, [and] I'm not saying that it's going to."

So it's interesting...although we also know Slash has reused VR demos in his solo stuff - so maybe all of these songs have since been borrowed and converted to other Slash purposes....but it sort of suggests that there's at least some jam material lying around in a vault some place. Even if not polished up to a full record...I would love to see stuff like this surface as a bonus disc on a reissue of the main records or something.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

There's definitely a couple of never-released tracks IIRC: The House Is Alive and a cover of Tie Your Mother Down, but I'm not sure if they're from the Contraband period or the Libertad one.

Gotta be honest, a reunion with guest singers would just seem awkward to me, and would just remind me how annoyed I am that they never got Chester Bennington to front VR post-Scott.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah to me the elephant in the room VR wise is always like why didn't they do Slash's solo record as a VR record with multiple famous fill in singers? It would fit with the VR "supergroup" monkier...and could have been a transition record before moving on with Myles as the new guy....I mean he can sing scott's range easily.....there's no reason if they actually liked each other that Slash's entire conspirators project couldn't have been the continuation of VR.....

Vale
 Rep: 4 

Vale wrote:

Tie Your Mother Down was recorded during the Contraband era along with Surrender and No More No More.

Back then I thought they should change the name if they didn't continue with Scott, because Scott was such distinct element of the band's identity. Now I'm not so sure anymore. They should have went with Franky Perez after. He and Dave did some good songs, and he didn't sound so bad on Matt's short-lived Deadland Ritual project. He wouldn't have been a huge name like Scott, but more reliable and controllable.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Yeah to me the elephant in the room VR wise is always like why didn't they do Slash's solo record as a VR record with multiple famous fill in singers? It would fit with the VR "supergroup" monkier...and could have been a transition record before moving on with Myles as the new guy....I mean he can sing scott's range easily.....there's no reason if they actually liked each other that Slash's entire conspirators project couldn't have been the continuation of VR.....

Yeah, pretty much THIS ^

It’s interesting that Sorum even mentioned getting Myles Kennedy in for an audition, before he’d started doing Alter Bridge, at the very inception of VR.

So VR could’ve ended up being Slash, Duff, Matt, Dave and Myles.

At least it would be a more interesting backing band for Slash and Myles than the solid but snoozefest that is the Conspirators…

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

monkeychow wrote:

Well, except for the fact that at the time, Slash was trying to establish the "Slash brand" as a one-man thing, which made perfect sense at the time. The VR auditions hadn't managed to turn up anyone who was a viable replacement for Scott; you need someone who's a big name and has the talent, but who also fits in the very specific intersection of the Venn diagram between GN'R and STP. They need, above all, to be sexy. Myles and Corey Taylor had the range but next to Weiland's live-wire energy, they're about as sexy as damp cardboard.

There was no indication that the GN'R reunion was going to happen at the time, and with VR effectively defunct, Slash needed to build up his own brand as a solo act. Hence the Slash album.

Board footer