You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Why no photo shoots after 1991?

Sky Dog wrote:

No better pic of the orginal band than their Rolling Stone cover.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

No better pic of the orginal band than their Rolling Stone cover.

Only 70 bucks on Amazon! Wish I cared about this stuff but seems like a bargain for someone else.

Sky Dog wrote:

axl92 I had them all and for some reason threw them all away. It was probably a drunken stupor while waiting for Chinese!

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

FlashFlood wrote:

Nice juxtaposition, misterid. Basically the same pic, backstage at a show. As if someone decided tonight was the night. I wonder who.

IIRC the top pic was taken as a deliberate riposte to the RNRHOF - Axl basically saying "This is Guns N' Roses, deal with it." Kind of funny to see the continuity between the two pics, with Frank and Dizzy and Fortus.

Also will never stop chuckling at Pitman's spectacular self-own on the eve of the NITL tour.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

I miss Pitman.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Also will never stop chuckling at Pitman's spectacular self-own on the eve of the NITL tour.

It was a fitting end to his tenure in the band...had previously put down fan forums/social media and any mention of them being a nostalgia act....and then has a conniption fit on social media partly instigated by forum members while admitting it's just a nostalgia act.

I miss Pitman

I have difficulty missing anyone due to the lack of anything substantial ever occurring.

Even the 2001 lineup...as amazing as it briefly was.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

I miss the 2001 lineup heavily. Not in the sense that I wish they were here now, but there was real quality in that band and they were not trying to be a nostalgia act. When you listen to the VMA they sound amazing for a live performance. If Axl hadn't failed that night it might have ended different. Dream scenario they would stick together until 2006, release a few albums and then we get a reunion.

Pitman I was always fond of going back to when he was kind of a meme in the band. He didn't seem like much at first but was underrated like Paul Huge. In theory there should be no issue for him to continue in the reunion, but he had to get drunk and do something stupid and I feel for him.

Wilco
 Rep: 1 

Wilco wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

I miss the 2001 lineup heavily. Not in the sense that I wish they were here now, but there was real quality in that band and they were not trying to be a nostalgia act. When you listen to the VMA they sound amazing for a live performance. If Axl hadn't failed that night it might have ended different. Dream scenario they would stick together until 2006, release a few albums and then we get a reunion.

Pitman I was always fond of going back to when he was kind of a meme in the band. He didn't seem like much at first but was underrated like Paul Huge. In theory there should be no issue for him to continue in the reunion, but he had to get drunk and do something stupid and I feel for him.

I agree with the first paragraph but I don’t agree as far as Pitman. I don’t think he added much whereas I feel Huge did. But I definitely agree on nostalgia for the 01-02 lineups. I wish it had worked out

Triple H
 Rep: 2 

Triple H wrote:

The band had basically drifted apart during the Illusions tour. Getting Axl to show up for a soundcheck or rehearsal was next to impossible so he was never gonna show up to a photoshoot with a band nobody seemingly wanted to be a part of anymore.  Then post break up there was, in my opinion a very conscious effort to maintain the illusion that all the various incarnations of GnR were in fact THE classic GnR. So any marketing via band photoshoots that didn't show Slash and Duff weren't how they wanted to market and promote the band. Throughout the entire CD saga there was next to nothing in terms of promoting GnR as a new band, while remnants of the old band were constantly featured heavily in any and all marketing. A full band photoshoot post 1991 didn't serve a purpose. At least not a purpose Axl and Co. wanted.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Triple H wrote:

The band had basically drifted apart during the Illusions tour. Getting Axl to show up for a soundcheck or rehearsal was next to impossible so he was never gonna show up to a photoshoot with a band nobody seemingly wanted to be a part of anymore.  Then post break up there was, in my opinion a very conscious effort to maintain the illusion that all the various incarnations of GnR were in fact THE classic GnR. So any marketing via band photoshoots that didn't show Slash and Duff weren't how they wanted to market and promote the band. Throughout the entire CD saga there was next to nothing in terms of promoting GnR as a new band, while remnants of the old band were constantly featured heavily in any and all marketing. A full band photoshoot post 1991 didn't serve a purpose. At least not a purpose Axl and Co. wanted.

Yeah...a few years into the saga I came to this realization as well. If you're not marketing Finck, Bucket, Stinson, etc it allows an environment where casuals don't know up from down and may even believe Slash and Duff are still there.

Remember the Slash chants of yesteryear? This wasn't hardcores taunting/trolling Axl...it was casuals wondering where the hell is Slash.

The GNR camp didn't even give new GNR a chance to succeed. It was doomed from the start. There was that brief window (2000-02) but that's it.

Edit

First sentence of your post reminds me of that story from the South America leg of the Illusions tour. It was showtime and the band was waiting for Axl to show up. Was he at the hotel or in a limo headed to the show? Nope....he was in a jet in the middle of the Atlantic because he had flown to Italy earlier for dinner.

Ridiculous.

Board footer