You are not logged in. Please register or login.

AgesOfTheIce
 Rep: 10 

Re: Predictions for the next decade?

AgesOfTheIce wrote:

While it's not impossible, I don't see Axl going out there doing GNR shows at age 70, with how much he's already struggling. How do you envision the next decade going? My current guess:

2023: UYI Box, with Ain't Goin Down single. No promotion whatsoever from the band
2024: New Slash solo album
2025: New tour with Oh My God/Atlas released as singles

At some point in the few years after I would expect a farewell tour, continuing for as long as Axl's voice can hold up.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

yeah it's hard to say.

Axl seems to pride himself sometimes on thwarting expectations - singing higher than humans can - doing 4 hour shows etc. Slash will want to play till the end - so a part of me sees them trying to outdo the stones and we eventually see 90yo Axl and Slash delivering above the standard for their age.

But realistically with Axl's vocal problems these days it's hard to see how it's possible. Especially with the way almost the whole song catalogue is brutal to sing.

I could see them continuing on but taking some steps, like tuning down to easier keys, dropping the hardest numbers, getting the crowd to do the big lines in a song, only playing occasional shows for charity events or special occasions or something. Maybe that would be a compromise.

Overall your projection seems pretty reasonable, maybe drip feed the remaining singles over a few years of small tours rather than drop a full album until the end. Then do a goodbye tour or something maybe.

The other thing I worry about is heath. I mean guys in their 60s and 70s with a history of hard partying and drugs for decades. I hate to be negative but I wonder if at some point someone just develops something that makes it all a bit hard..if not like tragic endings just something like many of our grandparents had....like arthritis and so on.

I mean i'd like them to continue on like Alice and Steven etc. But i'm not sure they'll be able to.

gavgnr
 Rep: 4 

gavgnr wrote:

I predict more touring interspersed with bullshit teases about new songs

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

It's hard to see them continuing as is, especially Axl belting out such demanding songs. He's long overdue pivoting towards something less demanding. I always thought with that voice he could have veered away from hard rock into soul and a southern blues type thing.

As to health - its anybody's guess. They defied expectations all being alive into the 90's. Father time waits for no one but it would not be massively surprising if one of them expired in the next decade.

At any rate, it really highlights how much of their prime they wasted. That said, it is a miracle we got anything beyond Appetite and Lies in hindsight.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

In 2032 i predict we will still be reminiscing about Axl's 2006 rasp and wondering what the follow up single to hard skool will be lol

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:

I think they'll do an Appetite 5 show at some point in time, assuming they're all still alive. It'd probably cost about $5000 a ticket if Bruce Springsteens recent "dynamic pricing" is anything to go by 16

-Jack-
 Rep: 39 

-Jack- wrote:

I think we’ll get additional leaked songs from 96-04... eventually.

Official releases... who knows.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
jimmythegent wrote:

It's hard to see them continuing as is, especially Axl belting out such demanding songs. He's long overdue pivoting towards something less demanding. I always thought with that voice he could have veered away from hard rock into soul and a southern blues type thing.

I've said it for years....

Had he played his cards right he could've had a solo career like Rod Stewart 80s-90s.

If he had no gas left in the tank, he could've went in the direction of 2000s Rod Stewart and Michael McDonald....release and tour a series of cover albums featuring songs from his youth. I can easily imagine a solo Axl doing Manilow covers.

Unfortunately...he has no actual ambition and he wasn't willing to ever take a chance and do something solo. He always needed the security blanket of the GNR name.

The waste of his talent/career is really only brought up by hardcore fans now but many are going to point it out when he dies.

That huge black hole in his discography looks worse over time.

Next decade prediction:

Off and on touring
A few singles here and there...maybe an album
A UYI set

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:

At what point does the mainstream public and press view the delayed "20th anniversary" UYI box as a joke?

If it isn't announced in the next month or so as a potential Christmas buying season item, they will have to push it back to 2023.

22nd anniversary? Not exactly a milestone ...

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
ClaudeF wrote:

At what point does the mainstream public and press view the delayed "20th anniversary" UYI box as a joke?

If it isn't announced in the next month or so as a potential Christmas buying season item, they will have to push it back to 2023.

22nd anniversary? Not exactly a milestone ...

One of the problems with a UYI set is that it doesn't even generate much hardcore fan interest/buzz for a number of reasons....

While the contents of the AFD set were ok, they pissed people off with the ridiculous price.

The off year anniversaries are amateur hour and don't inspire any confidence.

The GNR camp refuse to give any info about it. Pink Floyd... people known for their dysfunction and hatred of one another.... actually give updates on their upcoming Animals set....but an actual band is incapable of communication?!?

If the UYI set lacks video, it's going to piss fans off even more than the lack of AFD video did. They bragged for years about the mountains of video footage of the tour...to then not release any for its anniversary would be a slap in the face.

We live in a world where people expect a certain level of bang for their buck when it comes to purchasing deluxe editions and box sets. While some artists can get away with offering minimal content, it's not going to work here.

It's time to celebrate and wrap up the era with the definitive set. They get one crack at this. Give it the justice it deserves.

As we've talked about a bit over the years, the passage of time has done UYI no favors. They have dropped out of the major media outlets "Best song/album/videos of the 1990s" lists in articles and TV shows over the past decade or so. A lot of hardcore fans no longer listen to them. Within a decade or so, it'll probably be looked back on as famous for one song(November Rain).... maybe two(YCBM).

The crazy hype and infamous tour are slipping through the cracks of time. A killer set might save it...or a bad one quicken its downfall.

Edit

Here's how Pink Floyd handled the Animals 5.1 remix set coming out in a couple weeks...

They gave us Dogs...which is incredible.

Amazing they even gave us that because the song is essentially half the album.

And a couple vids to wet our appetite....

Only complaint there is it's too short.

Looks like they got rid of that short with the dog barking.

We're probably lucky to have gotten this one. As you can see, the remix was finished in 2018.

Board footer