You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: UYI Box tracklist unveiled?

James wrote:

I’m not anti-CD, but some of you guys would have to be the only people on a music based message board I’ve ever encountered that don’t stream to listen to music.

Here's why I don't stream...

Why bother? I listen to such a small amount of new music. I already own 99.9% of the music I will ever listen to. Why listen to this stuff on Spotify when I already have it?

I tried this about 6-7 years ago. I had a paid subscription to Rhapsody through my phone bill. I quickly realized I was just listening to music I already owned. I felt like a fucking idiot. Why create some new massive Pink Floyd playlist on a platform when I have all this stuff on every device I own?

To carry a huge stack of CDs

Literally nobody does this. People who buy CDs rip them to their devices.

I have stacks of CDs.... rotting in my closet.  Even the box sets I own couldn't avoid this fate. My Animals disc has only avoided this fate because it's new.

I also don’t know of a remastered set of UYI that was released prior to now

I was wrong. It wasn't remastered once before...it's been remastered several times over the years.

https://www.discogs.com/master/9536-Gun … Remastered

https://www.discogs.com/master/9586-Gun … Remastered

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Selection and ease is the winner for me. There is a lot of stuff I don't have on CD and some of the obscure stuff can be tough to find on pirate sites. It's also much easier to just search on Spotify when you get an impulse to try something out. I've discovered 2 major artists just in the last year doing that. I knew they existed, but was only familiar with the hits. Tried out their albums and discovered a bunch of great songs. I probably wouldn't even have bothered to download one of their albums.

I keep a selection of CDs for backup and the occasional high quality session.

Sky Dog wrote:

3 Me too…love the volume and ease of Apple  Music but still have my stereo and CD player to crank it up every now and then.

James

James wrote:

There is a lot of stuff I don't have on CD and some of the obscure stuff can be tough to find on pirate sites

Torrents and other download sites are garbage now.  Only the most popular movies or albums/songs will have a decent amount of seeders...and only briefly. Once something drops from the top of the list, the seeders vanish.

Anything obscure or simply not popular is either not on the sites or languishes with one or zero seeders.

After hearing Touch the Leather from Fat White Family and Beautiful Life from Heartless Bastards, I went to the torrents.

I was shit out of luck.

Years ago you could get anything on those sites.

Was it the labels and studios suing people or trying to get shit deleted that ruined them?

Nope...it was streaming that killed it. 

People in general no longer cared about owning music or movies... whether legally or not. They were perfectly happy with simply renting/subscribing to them.

The movie and music industries love this 21st century consumer. Don't have to produce high quality files or DVD/Blu-ray/CDs on a mass scale anymore. Just toss up low quality music/movies on these platforms and the masses gobble it up.

The cherry on top is how this consumer now mocks those who prefer high quality product as ancient relics/dinosaurs.

I'm sure the suits get a huge laugh at this behind closed doors.

Either way we slice it, it's not going away. It's the present and future of media consumption. The convenience of it... especially with movies...is too irresistible.

James

James wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

3 Me too…love the volume and ease of Apple  Music but still have my stereo and CD player to crank it up every now and then.

Will Apple Music allow you to keep your music if the platform dies or they tire of it and start a new one?

It's another thing I hate about online music...you bought it...but do you really own it or did you rent it?

Itunes still owes me for the exclusive Santigold EP I bought from them 13 years ago. I think they took that Boy George album too.

I've used HD Tracks for some early Pink Floyd and the Lindsey Buckingham anthology.

https://www.hdtracks.com

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I use Apple Music too for convenience. But I’ll never buy a digital movie.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

I’m not anti-CD, but some of you guys would have to be the only people on a music based message board I’ve ever encountered that don’t stream to listen to music.

To carry a huge stack of CDs with me to listen to my music with me wherever I go, is just inconvenient and kinda stupid when with Apple Music or Spotify I have thousands of songs easily accessible at my fingertips, all on my phone.

I also don’t know of a remastered set of UYI that was released prior to now? And especially not on streaming services.

So yeah, I think I’m in my right as a music consumer, to be a bit annoyed to not have the original November Rain available as a remastered track, as a option to listen to aside from the 2022 remix.

Tend to agree - I can understand vinyl with the collectability and the analogue warmth, but CD's are all but redundant now.

I too go back to my favourites on streaming sites, but i also have the ability to check out other stuff at a whim which i love... I also love listening to music on headphones and the wireless options these days are close to audiophile level. With data being so readily available and speeds and bandwidth what they are, you can stream in lossless so the old days of 128kbps crappy MP3s is no longer an issue.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

The new NR sounds fantastic in my car. That outro is killer.

AgesOfTheIce
 Rep: 10 

AgesOfTheIce wrote:
James wrote:

There is a lot of stuff I don't have on CD and some of the obscure stuff can be tough to find on pirate sites

Torrents and other download sites are garbage now.  Only the most popular movies or albums/songs will have a decent amount of seeders...and only briefly. Once something drops from the top of the list, the seeders vanish.

Anything obscure or simply not popular is either not on the sites or languishes with one or zero seeders.

After hearing Touch the Leather from Fat White Family and Beautiful Life from Heartless Bastards, I went to the torrents.

I was shit out of luck.

Years ago you could get anything on those sites.

Was it the labels and studios suing people or trying to get shit deleted that ruined them?

Nope...it was streaming that killed it. 

People in general no longer cared about owning music or movies... whether legally or not. They were perfectly happy with simply renting/subscribing to them.

The movie and music industries love this 21st century consumer. Don't have to produce high quality files or DVD/Blu-ray/CDs on a mass scale anymore. Just toss up low quality music/movies on these platforms and the masses gobble it up.

The cherry on top is how this consumer now mocks those who prefer high quality product as ancient relics/dinosaurs.

I'm sure the suits get a huge laugh at this behind closed doors.

Either way we slice it, it's not going away. It's the present and future of media consumption. The convenience of it... especially with movies...is too irresistible.

I still download everything, I want to actually own my media. I have to use so many USB's because my laptop memory would get overrun with all my downloads. Have no interest in streaming. And yeah, torrents are pretty much hell. I'll be downloading something with 1 seed that isn't even connected at the time it starts, then like 3 days later a message will pop up saying my download is complete and I'll have completely forgotten I was even torrenting it. For a lot of movies that don't have seeds, like say something that was moderately successful 20 years ago but has been forgotten now, I have to go to foreign sites and then copy and paste it onto of those download url sites. Probably going to end up with a terrible virus at some point, but whatever.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

For a long time I was an audiophile and resisted streaming...but then I decided to try it....and after a while it's hard to go back...my entire collection..plus all new music...plus almost anything I look for on a while...all available everywhere on every single one of my devices, all at the touch of a button....

There's whole playlists of stuff I have now that isn't the kind of thing it would be safe for me to blow $30 on a CD to see if I like the album....

I get why people are resistant..but at the end of the day it's a good product for users, that said, as an audio guy I will always be happy for them to increase quality.

Board footer