You are not logged in. Please register or login.

davegnfnr2k
 Rep: 1 

Re: UYI Box tracklist unveiled?

davegnfnr2k wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

The biggest sticking point, as always, seems to be "why no new album?" Frankly I think that's coloured by the leaks – if Hard Skool had dropped and we'd never heard the leak, fans would've been over the fucking moon – an all-new hard rock song with Slash and Duff on it. The fact that we're all aware the new material being released is reheated Chinese leftovers colours our response to it, but it's still new studio material, it's new to the vast majority of the public, and by the looks of it there's an EP about to drop.

This is simply not true since 99% of GNR fans never heard the hard school leak and thought Hard Skool sucked.  It also got like zero radio play bc again it sucked.  No one cared.

Also if it wasn't for the leaks then GNR would have released no music and we would not have heard anything.
The only reason why CD was released is bc the leaks forced the album out.

Only reason why we got hard skool as a single is bc it leaked, same goes for absurd.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

davegnfnr2k wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

The biggest sticking point, as always, seems to be "why no new album?" Frankly I think that's coloured by the leaks – if Hard Skool had dropped and we'd never heard the leak, fans would've been over the fucking moon – an all-new hard rock song with Slash and Duff on it. The fact that we're all aware the new material being released is reheated Chinese leftovers colours our response to it, but it's still new studio material, it's new to the vast majority of the public, and by the looks of it there's an EP about to drop.

This is simply not true since 99% of GNR fans never heard the hard school leak and thought Hard Skool sucked.  It also got like zero radio play bc again it sucked.  No one cared.

Also if it wasn't for the leaks then GNR would have released no music and we would not have heard anything.

Only reason why we got hard skool as a single is bc it leaked, same goes for absurd.

My point is simply that hardcore fans drive enthusiasm for new material, and if those hardcore fans have either heard or are aware that the "new" songs are based on two-decade-old leaks, it saps that enthusiasm. Hypothetically, imagine Perhaps hadn't dropped in the leaks, and in 2022, GN'R dropped a song called Perhaps with Slash and Duff. The hardcore fans would have no idea that it wasn't written and recorded in the last year, and would sing its praises to the hilt.

But as it is, if and when they do release Perhaps, the hardcore fans will immediately go "meh, heard it before," "The Robin solo was better," "I preferred the drums on the original" or whatever. The enthusiasm from the niche community of fans that activates (in marketing speak) the wider community is missing. It's widely known in marketing circles that small, hyper-engaged communities are the ones that drive enthusiasm in the wider market; the fact that 99% of GNR fans never heard the Hard School leak is utterly irrelevant. The 1% that matters did.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
davegnfnr2k wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

My point is simply that hardcore fans drive enthusiasm for new material, and if those hardcore fans have either heard or are aware that the "new" songs are based on two-decade-old leaks, it saps that enthusiasm. Hypothetically, imagine Perhaps hadn't dropped in the leaks, and in 2022, GN'R dropped a song called Perhaps with Slash and Duff. The hardcore fans would have no idea that it wasn't written and recorded in the last year, and would sing its praises to the hilt.

But as it is, if and when they do release Perhaps, the hardcore fans will immediately go "meh, heard it before," "The Robin solo was better," "I preferred the drums on the original" or whatever. The enthusiasm from the niche community of fans that activates (in marketing speak) the wider community is missing. It's widely known in marketing circles that small, hyper-engaged communities are the ones that drive enthusiasm in the wider market; the fact that 99% of GNR fans never heard the Hard School leak is utterly irrelevant. The 1% that matters did.

That's the band's fault for sitting on this for so long, not the hardcore fans who've wanted to hear these tracks for the past 20 years. Do the AFD boxset in 2017 on the actual anniversary and push Hard Skool + Absurd (and who knows maybe more!) in 2018 and there's no 2019 leaks killing the hype of a release in 2021.

If the album had come out earlier in 00-04 when next to no leaks had happened, again the fanbase would have been ecstatic. Instead, all that ecstasy was used up through 05-08 when the majority of the album leaked. By the time the album came out the only songs that hadn't been heard were Scraped, Sorry & This I Love.

The lesson here is obvious - the longer they sit on this stuff without pulling the trigger the likelier it is that earlier versions of these songs leak online and steal the thunder from their release. If the Spotify search results actually do mean something is coming and they are prepping a release soon of State of Grace, Atlas Shrugged, Perhaps, Soul Monster, The General then that's great. But the longer they wait the likelier it is those songs leak.

Each day is another day where someone who has those tracks can send them to a friend, or trade them with someone else who has other things they want, or sell them to someone. The more hands those songs pass through, the likelier it becomes they turn up online. If the versions they're planning to release leak say 2-3 weeks before the official date, then that's one thing - that's how the music business is sometimes these days. If it's versions of these songs from 2006 or from the rumoured 2010 verison of CD2, that's not so great and really kills the buzz.

They could be planning to release next week, next month or maybe next year. But if tomorrow a circa 2008 clip of The General or Soul Monster was to start circulating then they'll be kicking themselves they didn't release in June like Slash suggested they might earlier this year.

The band is the one to blame for old leaks killing the buzz of their releases. They should learn their lesson and get these songs out there, especially if they're finished and all recording, mixing and mastering is done.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:

Disappointment over the lack of demos seems universal:

https://www.kissfaq.com/forum18/viewtopic.php?t=151215

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
ClaudeF wrote:

Disappointment over the lack of demos seems universal:

https://www.kissfaq.com/forum18/viewtopic.php?t=151215

It's because as far as anniversary releases go it's a damp squib.

Normally the exciting things in these releases are new content. Live audio is technically new but not very exciting, especially when the band has already done official releases of live audio in the past (see Live Era). Live video is exciting but only hardcore music fans watch concert films. That leaves the new version of November Rain. It'll be interesting to hear the track with a real orchestra but that's it, it's a novelty.

The excitement of good anniversary collections is having content like the above AND new studio stuff - be it unheard demos, unreleased and now finished tracks or even just some alt/new mixes. This release doesn't have any of that and whilst the price isn't AFD steep, it's not cheap either.

This release needed more. My only hope is that the lack of new studio tracks on it has left some promotional space for other "new" material.

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

How the fuck is there no unreleased tracks on this?

That's the point of a box set. Is give us some cool shit we haven't heard. Not just oh this is what the song sounded like before we tweaked it a bit.

I was thinking about this band on my way home from work.

It's such a shame that there is no new album.

Like come on.

Then this cash grab is just remastered shit.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

The fact they cut the new mixes is really unforgivable, imo. That was the least they could do. No demos? No TSI stuff? No documentary? No videos or making the videos? Come on…

Since Axl and TB do lurk here from time to time: before you start complaining we’re never happy, Axl & Beta & Fernando, we’re rooting for you. We want you to succeed. And when you’re putting a price tag this BIG on this stuff that you expect us to buy (we’re the target audience here) and for us just to be grateful for it, be prepared for some bitching when it’s lackluster.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:

Since UYI was a two-volume set …

Let this be the “live” version.

Follow up this time next year with the “studio” version.

Give us the demos, outtakes, Q-Sound and alternate mixes, etc. Plus a BluRay with the videos, documentaries, surround sound mix, etc.

That way the entire era is properly and thoroughly represented without any actual overlap.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

I always come back to the Metallica model for these box sets.

Compare the 5kg Black album box set they just gave us. One quarter the price of the UYI set and filled with demos, live footage, audio and video, and do much of that was unreleased and new to the fans. So much cool stuff that the fans actually want and they give us more than we want.

I appreciate GN’R giving us the Ritz on Bluray, that looks like it’ll be awesome. But for that price tag we should’ve gotten 5 Ritz type gigs in this box

The sheen of the live YCBM release is wearing off, and I’m not so excited as I am annoyed at what they didn’t include, that they easily could have.

Always the most minimum effort for the maximum price tag.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

That Metallica set was insane. I had that in heavy rotation for a couple weeks or so. That one disc was better than the actual album. It rocked harder...if that's possible.

Yeah...the novelty of YCBM is gone. It was barely there to begin with. This is a fan base that listened to live bootlegs of the UYI years for eons.... forgive us for not jumping for joy at the prospect of another Live Era dressed up in UYI swag.

I'm gonna buy some cherry picked tracks to support them but other than that, I won't be buying anything UYI ever again until they're willing to unload the remixes.

The band is the one to blame for old leaks killing the buzz of their releases. They should learn their lesson and get these songs out there, especially if they're finished and all recording, mixing and mastering is done.

Their main problem has always been...and I know I sound like a broken record..... management.

They have never known how to respond to or deal with leaks.

It's like that old saying....

You steer into the skid.

They do the exact opposite.

Out of all the leaks the past 19 years, not once did they ever use it to their advantage and capitalize on it.

Board footer